Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

• RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2024 at 19:42, Schooner said:

Welcome to Victoria Quay (working title) m'Lords, Ladies etc

20240325_180043.jpg.371bcc8ff2c762de4ce57fff60cdda91.jpg

20240325_181316.jpg.7df96120dc93ad93478c9dc2434553b5.jpg

20240325_181405.jpg.274104103922bb769f00aa8334b139f3.jpg

Sorry fam, no time to move house. Busy. Got trains to play with!

Awesome stuff @Tricky, thank you for all :)

Crane by the most talented also @airnimal. Steam coaster (R/C, woop!) by a nice but unknown gentleman who did a grand job of the build and fit out and then sold her (R/C gear, batteries, controller etc included) for less than the price of the kit. Deeley tank as discussed previously. Inspiration, information and general good juju from you lovely lot.

Otherwise it's all my own work!

Wow Louis, this is so appealing. Brilliant. As usual you managed to fill in a lot without making it look too cramped. What are the baseboard dimensions please? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I see that you also attempted a gunpowder van 🙂

Ahahaha guilty! Definite hint of carnage...I look back at some of the past pics of the layout, where it all looks so up together and 'finished', then at how it actually looks on a day-to-day basis and wonder where it all went wrong 🤣 But it's all in pursuit of an engaging, enjoyable and entertain hobby...and sometimes that means levelling the livestock, apparently! Choices and consequences, as they say :)

this is so appealing.

Flattered, and glad you think so. In time I'll flood this space with reference pics, as per, but the touchstone is Fremmington Quay. In reality it's a tiny place in the grand scheme of things, but a scale model would be vast in toy train terms. Hopefully the end result will capture a little of that low-key complexity shared by all these little rural-industrial spots in their heyday in a handy space.

Also 7mm is really fun so far. Heft.

What are the baseboard dimensions please? 

@Tricky may have the actual measurements to hand, but it sits on the same table as Ingleford and has a similar footprint - in the neighbourhood of 1700mm x 650mm*. There are additional cassettes/fiddlesticks, best part of a meter each, left and right to give a 'running line' through the scene; one of the right gives a headshunt for the Full Inglenook Experience. However, Richard's cleverness in bring my plan into reality with the 3-way is it allows space for a perfectly viable spur for a loco and wagon, or two wagons, with which a good amount of shunting can be done just on the base ummmm baseboard :)

*To fit in my car, through the door, and on the table. 

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

This one is quite nice too 🤣

She's a beaut!

...just need to turn it the other way up for maximum effect... 😇

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the dimensions, 170x65 cms is raeally good and as you say it goes on a table. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

First adventures in 7mm (sorta)

20240415_133245.jpg.eaa749770617b23998886d4c57fb2110.jpg20240415_133221.jpg.8cecd407c6801ae1147534438485a6c1.jpg

Never really ballasted before, shoals of fun! A mix of all the trial packets of ballast I got when setting up Ingleford, but colours are largely grey 

20240415_133259.jpg.055420a9e4432b6fa05a2cede5020dd6.jpg

Or 'stone'

20240415_133141.jpg.e334e6c099ae07173a9fa726aebef6ba.jpg

With some rogue bits along the way.

Not done with too much intent, just to make a start whilst I could, but the search for good pics of Fremington Quay has begun in earnest. One of the first finds was a lovely portrait of an Ilfracombe Goods (rebuilt) in that place. Yum :)

• Like 15

@Mol_PMBRoger

20240415_190839.jpg.b7bc4c90efa38e5f2a9db3aa5ee524f1.jpg

They do make a difference. Even in 4mm I've been surprised by how effective the Peco bullhead fishplates are at lifting the visuals. No pic of those as Ingleford is still in post-gunpowder van state, but with more paint and mess. 17th time lucky for the ground cover around the relaid track...

• Like 12

Thanks @Annie :)

2 hours ago, drduncan said:

Oh for better/sharper photos!

Try editing the image URL from eg

....locations/kingswear_station/kingswear_station_06_large.jpg

to

...locations/kingswear_station/kingswear_station_06_xlarge.jpg

which will give you the 4k full size image. They can also be found through Google, not sure why the site itself doesn't link to them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cogitating!

There's a little bit of me that's wondering if a broad gauge third rail* could also cover a third gauge...

*32mm + 16.5mm allllmost = the 49mm (7') of West Country broad gauge

The rail could be added (reasonably?) simply to the running line, and the quayside road, inc TT and jetty...

1.jpg.6afdf36b90883dfe89252d4e4cfe70b6.jpg

which would allow for Bristol & Exeter stock for an early setting, and a nod to the Torrington and Marland Railway

1k27419_336r_l.jpg

h7f9g1_336q_l.jpg

One day, maybe! For now, Kingswear provides only general inspiration and a possible prototype on which to base the jetty construction and fittings.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Found myself lying alongside at Victoria Quay this evening, taking in the latest sights (/postie deliveries) and able to do a little bit of handshunting and measuring out.

Plenty space for the standard 5+3+3:

3.jpg.be33ee2e77e1093c98dab1dbdbf0eadf.jpg

That a whole train fits on the quay road, nominal capacity 3 x wagons, is interesting. Coupled with the little headshunt...

2.jpg.aebeec8a0871510b450b2043731e5204.jpg

...oh, which it turns out I didn't photograph, so have a clearance check instead. Anyway, it has room for a loco and wagon (shunted 'up') or two wagons ('down') on the baseboard alone, no headsticks; and we know from Ingleford that running round by chain shunt is a possibility. Altogether this makes the layout-as-built even more practical (read playable) than planned/hoped. Woop!

So, 5 + 5 + 3 (+3):

4.jpg.3a94753177cca09ce2339ffec793c089.jpg

Comfortably

... (+3)...

5.jpg.8eba926a9e734faa0cb470eccc44f3b8.jpg

Cosy! But from a puzzle PoV perfectly viable.

...(+1 +1), if we remember that there's also room for a wagon to stand beyond each turntable:

1.jpg.6afdf36b90883dfe89252d4e4cfe70b6.j

Erm, so my little Inglenook has a puzzle capacity of 5 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1, some shunts for which will result in snookerings, others requiring chain working or maybe even a second loco (!). The intention isn't really to run the layout as an Inglenook, but to run the puzzle as a randomiser for the wagon rakes.These will be sorted and spotted for 'real', vans to the shed (LH TT spur above), outbound clay to the jetty (RH TT spur), coal to the quay road, others wherever the waybill/story says.

Does that work? If so, I think it's going to be reasonably diverting, with justifiable (enough) work for a trip loco and a dock shunter if 'need' be.

General vibes:

1.jpg.df77209f9e6bca798e79aff375dd897e.jpg

...only less motley! The 5th wagon* is LSWR, Kyle of TRS Trains is putting some serious graft into making the B4 as full of personality as possible, and a proper order for @MarkD's LSWR kits will be in before too long.

*All that is needed for an inglenook, right? Right? Yeah, right...!

The 1528 deserves her own stock in time though; neither the track formation nor coaster size is unreasonable for Gloucester (he says, eyeing up @Tricky's glorious models once again)...

The little Siphon is safely rogue, unless Dapol's next surprise is 795

gl_221028_1_795.jpg

In which case all bets are off.

24hr stopover only, but should be able to grab a little time tomorrow for a layout. Maybe even a little modelling. The first structure, perhaps? More ground cover? Finish the kit wagons? Hook up the controller and have a play... :)

Edit #FFS:

bf1105015bd6af5738244434b05529dd_900x.pn

Just announced. Footprint: 156mm x 102mm. I'm not convinced, but I'll measure the LH TT spur, which mich look well running through.

Edited by Schooner
Moar!
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Lovely scenes, Louis. And very much your style.  A perfect distillation of the hundreds (nay, thousands!) of photos, ideas and thoughts that you have taken us through on here.

I know you also plan for a big layout, but your small layouts are little gems in my view.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Tidy. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Schooner said:

.(+1 +1), if we remember that there's also room for a wagon to stand beyond each turntable

Though possibly not if you are putting rail-built buffer stops to prevent wagons-with-heft meeting floor-with-possibly-devastating-consequence?

And I have not seen 795 before, what a lovely little loco! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

If I understand it right, you have to pot a red (D299) before going on to a colour (private owner)??

(edit: I must add, this layout is a degree above the average shunting plank in its design, congrats)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

you have to pot a red (D299) before going on to a colour

During the early 80s, virtually every other car was red. This meant that, in what I found out to be the Kent Police game of traffic snooker, my black mini was worth seven points.

I had to take my MOT and Insurance details into the local police station "within 14 days" on a number of occasions for what appeared to me to be odd reasons for randomly pulling me over. Presumably that tactic was used as evidence in determining an individual officers score. 

Interestingly, after the black Mini blew up, we changed to a white Talbot Avenger Estate. Never subsequently troubled by the police for apparent 'offences'.

Found out about "Traffic Snooker" whilst listening to a Radio 2 phone in some years later when the caller "confessed" to achieving the highest break for a shift. . . . . . Mutter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Not that I'm all that fussy, but...

17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

A perfect distillation

aberlour-abunadh-batch-79-whisky.jpg?alt

...just in case anyone wondered :)

17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I know you also plan for a big layout

I do, but with no real intent. The recently announced 517 has got me back to thinking of a 4mm BLT, but that would still be tabletop*. I just like the idea of a few of my little layouts linked around one system. I tend towards c. 6' scenes (a natural 120 degree viewing angle from a comfy central seated operating position) anyway, regardless of how big a layout may be overall, so all that changes is convenience/coherence of 'offscene' moves!

17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Tidy. 

Thank ewe.

15 hours ago, WFPettigrew said:

rail-built buffer stops

You make a very valid point, but I don't think I can afford to loose that space - visually as much as in terms of siding capacity, so whilst

8.jpg.a629fea4f531a294f3c5553244bb68a9.jpg

I shan't be doing exactly this in 7mm - it was plenty tricky to do on Code 75 - I think it shows where I stand on subject proper rail-built bufferstops. And

damn-the-consequences-no-regret.gif

wot she sed.

15 hours ago, WFPettigrew said:

And I have not seen 795 before, what a lovely little loco! 

Agreed! See @JimC's typically informative write-up and some useful pics here. From which

795pt.jpg.9340fdb7edc00fb2d117320ed3da47

a great demo of why I keep banging on about the importance of setting for small layouts. It doesn't matter how clever your trackwork is if the stock swamps it - you get so much more out of a space by going small (and so, often, going early!), I wish more was made of it as a layout design factor.

14 hours ago, Northroader said:

If I understand it right, you have to pot a red (D299) before going on to a colour (private owner)??

This is now a thing, and shall be played. Rules to be codified here in the near future!

Right, where're we to...ah, yes, today:

1.jpg.fd598c948b84a028dc275eeb1ba2727f.jpg

I fear I misunderstood the position, purpose and...well...size of East Budleigh's goods shed. Pics and plans here http://disused-stations.org.uk/e/east_budleigh/

However, something in that orientation may work rather well. The current plan is for there to be a warehouse/transit shed to hide the edge of the board, aligned with the tracks, with a lean-to style loading bay extension, thus:

3.jpg.c4e3e619384802d58945611fa20db604.jpg

bolted to the side.

The inspiration comes from Bideford, Fremington having nothing suitable:

bideford-north-devon-england-june-plans-

with the lean-to taking the place of the canopy at the far end. Speaking of ends, other one looks like this:

bw-b-and-white_web.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1

Which is rather fine. Or was, as it's all be knocked down for flats now. 

2.jpg.6ae258a431967920c190d62bab3099b6.jpg

Clearances are tight on the LSWR van...but an inch is as good as a mile sometimes.

Sadly the van took an absolute clattering in the course of being delivered, one end of the box being totally crushed. The vehicle escaped remarkably lightly, with only one buffer ripped out (replaced, visuals are fine) and this damage to the roof:

5.jpg.1ad65d1ce93f79c62176fa99c60a2e3e.jpg

I suspect I'll just glue it, but had be toying with the idea of covering the roof with tissue soaked in dilute PVA to add a little texture and better represent canvas. Happily, I've utterly destroyed the Siphon roof

6.jpg.3fed0f5eeb8afbe377303e35a87904dc.jpg

Which has snapped and been 'fixed' (YMMV) upwards of ten times. It needs all the help it can get, and so I was in the fortunate position of having a test subject to hand.

7.jpg.69ec65e7ddc006e7ff36be063301e92b.jpg

Mid process...

...and end process not shown cos I didn't get a pic, but in general I think it's a success. Certainly doesn't look any worse! I'll probably still end up making a new roof for the Siphon, but that's future-me's problem :)

Thanks for popping by!

*With nobs on. Still very rough, and feedback would be most welcome, but it currently looks like

A.jpg.cb0eeb9abde0bf9c6208906e60d6bc7b.jpg

that.

Removeable cassette connection lower left, as per, RHS masked to the operator somehow but open for views through/between the sheds. Pretty gentle turnout geometry, loop curve between settrack R3 and R4. 1900s GWR BLT - 4 wheel coaches, 3 plank wagons - with nominal arrival and departure platforms. Suspect in 'reality' it'd be one platform only (upper) in regular use, the other being used for parcels, coaching storage etc most of the day/year. Anyhoo...!

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi,

railway companies built buffer stops with only vertical posts, sunk into the ground, or with forward facing supports, for situations just like yours.

Roja

• Like 2