The Chaldrons, By Accurascale

25 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

It doesn't take much to fit dumb buffers to a few locos...

Aye but the buffers need to be lowered and placed at a narrower spacing to suit Accus narrow chassis.

1275744102_MW34471-DUMBO.jpg.1fc289be7856e2398fe9ddfa2cb2606c.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
crossed post
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Flying Pig said:

They don't need to be dumb buffers, just in the right place.

Curiously that Sherburn Collieries loco has sprung buffers in the chaldron position and dumb buffers in the standard position, in contrast to the engine in @Porcy Mane's post, which has them the other way round. I'm sure I've seen photos of locos with four sprung buffers and others with all dumb - or two very large square or L-shaped blocks covering all bases. Anything goes!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Aye but the buffers need to be lowered and placed at a narrower spacing to suit Accus narrow chassis.

1275744102_MW34471-DUMBO.jpg.1fc289be7856e2398fe9ddfa2cb2606c.jpg

For which as the photo clearly shows, you may need an extended buffer beam (does this clash with tension lock btw?).  Lots of pictures of Lambton locos show the deeper buffer beam without any buffers fitted (29 has them in preservation).  Something similar would be a useful 3rd party product for thise who will be carving Pecketts and Barclays.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

They don't need to be dumb buffers, just in the right place.

and at South Hetton a goodly number of locos kept that exact buffer combo until well after nationalisation due to the number of chauldrons they dealt with on a daily basis. The pic I posted above is outside what was the wagon repair shop.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

You need the low dangly type though.

spacer.png

https://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_022.htm

````

Jason

Should also be simple to achieve using plastic section, my examples, simply for discussion, were for shunting standard wagons around the quay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Islesy said:

Resin coal loads for the Chaldrons will shortly be dispatched from the factory, and should be available soon. They do bring the weight up nicely.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Previously the coal loads have been made with real coal,  will these loads for the chaldrons contain real coal or just resin?  BTW was any progress made with the loads for the HAAs?

Thanks

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Hi Paul,

Previously the coal loads have been made with real coal,  will these loads for the chaldrons contain real coal or just resin?  BTW was any progress made with the loads for the HAAs?

Thanks

Hi @Bishdurham,

The Chaldron loads will be resin for weight purposes. The HAA loads are still a work in progress. As soon as we have news we will post in up on RMWeb in the HAA thread.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/09/2022 at 22:14, Islesy said:

The nearest you’ll come to a similar waggon are the Chaldron-esque types of the Carlisle and Maryport Railway.

The Haw Bank Tramway near Skipton and Embsay had some chaldron type wagons ,one of which survived,rather worse for wear,until the early 1950s ,so definitely got a bit further than the North East 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

What about the dropped end-pillars on the original NER hopper wagons (of various designs) ?

According to Tatlow (and other sources) these were to allow chaldron wagons to buffer up to the larger and later vehicles.

I'm not sure I've seen any pictorial evidence of this though. Perhaps it was only done in internal use, rather than 'out on the line'?

If anybody knows of any pictures it might provide a useful way of utilising a set of chaldrons.

• Like 2

All this about the buffing arrangement and how there are no existing loco models with suitable buffers...

Why do people need to be spoon-fed this stuff? Surely if you're going to buy these wagons you have a use for them on your layout? If you have a use for them on your layout then surely you already know what they are, where they worked and how they buffed up to the locomotives that pulled them? You also know how to knock up a set of block buffers from brass, styrene, or whatever material of choice may be. Or do people just buy random stuff because some grinning idiot on Youtube tells them they look nice and then they come crying that they won't couple up to their Deltic or whatever? I don't know.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My order for a set of chaldrons in Vane/Londonderry livery arrived this morning - despite the postal strike.

I am sure others (somewhere above) have said the same thing, but these vehicles are amongst the most (if not the most) splendid RTR models I have ever purchased.

Especially given the problems of small size and prototype detail the way they look and behave is magnificent.

I haven't quite decided how I will utilise them yet, since my colliery yard is yet to be constructed. I still wonder if I can fit a rope-worked incline into a corner somewhere; thus requiring another set of chaldrons!  I will make my own loads of course, using proper County Durham coal.

Not being very well at the moment I've spent the morning immersed in Colin Mountford's 'The Private Railways of County Durham', looking for inspiration.

Many thanks Accurascale. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2022 at 14:24, Porcy Mane said:

Think about it.  May be an indication of things to come?   🙂

I got an email from Accurascale about the Chaldrons which tantalisingly mentioned something about no rtr locomotives …yet

Is there something planned?

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm not the person to be asking. You need to be plying others on here with the black stuff.  🍺

I prefer something from the orchard 😉 #justsaying

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/09/2022 at 05:42, ikks said:

without trolling through all of the posts, have these seen any use on or near the London Midland region in the fifties/sixties, they are lovely but I never invoke rule 1.(sad I know!!)

Mike

Oh dear, my rule one philosophy just disappeared, two three packs ordered..........I am so weak!!!😊.

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A question, for those who know far more about these wagons than me.  Is there an engineering reason (I’m working on the ‘how on earth this came about’ in my layout thread)  why this wouldn’t work in 12”-1’ scale?  The NER brake has the extended dumb buffers that engage with the chaldrons buffers nicely (and will propel through peco points perfectly happily in 4mm-1’) and I’m assuming an NER hopper (as per the Slaters kit) will do likewise if fitted with the same.   For what it’s worth, apparently Beamish have an adapted flat wagon to do a similar job, allowing any loco to shunt their chauldrons.  The Janus shunter, well…it was that, a jinty or a GWR pannier.  The BR standard or the class 37 just looked silly.

29C3D21B-5CFA-4D7A-90B2-214A51004FD8.jpeg.516eb22b313a2d1c2e1e202b42c31fbd.jpeg

Owain

• Like 2

Probably a bit big.

But they possibly did work with some of the smaller diesels and early petrol engines. They must have at least tried them seeing as they were trying to cut costs. Maybe someone knows.

Types like this one I mean.

https://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/product-page/armstrong-whitworth-0-4-0-de

Even if it didn't I reckon it would look right.

Jason