The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

That's just stunning.

It raises the bar incredibly high for RTR wagons. 

The underframe is delicious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

On 21/03/2023 at 09:49, Captain Kernow said:

In the 1960s, they were very common on the Somerset & Dorset, ex-Midland freight-only lines in South Gloucestershire, the Forest of Dean, parts of the South Wales valleys and a select few freight-only ex-GW branches in Mid-Wales.

Indeed! Ordered a pair of Maroon ones to form part of my Somerset & Dorset 'Pigeon Special' 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

I can't wait to see the complaints roll in regarding the price from those that look at the old Mainline versions as a great model and reminisce about the "Good Olde Day's" and how the hobby has become more expensive.

These Siphon G models are absolutely stunning, the level of detail surpasses anything that has been made available including brass kits, the whole thing is just superb and I can't wait to see outside framed versions as well as other variants in the future such as the H's and J's. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Would they be seen at Liverpool St station in the late 50's, early 60's?  I'd love to have one being shunted along with other NPCCS by my J69

I agree that the advance models look remarkably well detailed and realistic. One quick question (not intended as a criticism): how easy will it be to remove the corridor connections? Almost all of the vehicles my eagerly awaited Siphon will be coupled to are compartment coaches (my layout is - guess what- a branchline!), so prototypically the connections would be compressed. I appreciate that manufacturers can't cater for extended/compressed connections, so have replaced the ones on the few corridor vehicles I've got .... Ideally, I'd like to do the same on my Siphon, but might decide to live with the connections for fear of damaging it.

David C

• Friendly/supportive 2

Can someone help with the two GWR offerings please? Are they essentially the same apart from the running numbers? Looks like the underframe detail differs, but could just be that the photo is taken from the opposite side. My knowledge of these isn't great and I can't decide which is the case.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Quite apart from all that splendid detail, there looks to be a goodly amount of space between the axleboxes to fit EM or P4 wheels as well.

Using EM Kean Maygib wheels (as an example), the best way is to remove the bogie first, then unclip the central brake rod (this can then be reused). The brakeshoes will need to be removed and realigned, so some modelling is required in this area. Remove the 16.5mm gauge wheels and refit with EM wheels, which just pop straight in. Reassemble.

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Markn said:

Can someone help with the two GWR offerings please? Are they essentially the same apart from the running numbers? Looks like the underframe detail differs, but could just be that the photo is taken from the opposite side. My knowledge of these isn't great and I can't decide which is the case.

Both O.33, but 2924 has the traditional offset vacuum cylinder braking system, while 2789 has the parallel mounted cylinder system with the short handbrake (an earlier design that found its way into some of the Siphons).

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 minute ago, Islesy said:

Both O.33, but 2924 has the traditional offset vacuum cylinder braking system, while 2789 has the parallel mounted cylinder system with the short handbrake (an earlier design that found its way into some of the Siphons).

Best wishes,

Paul.

Brill thanks Paul, that's really helpful

• Like 1

Tried to purchase 2 from Accurascale today. Keep getting blocked by something called Revolut which does not respond to my details.

I've purchased quite a lot directly from Accurascale and never had so much trouble.

Any help welcome.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 89A said:

Tried to purchase 2 from Accurascale today. Keep getting blocked by something called Revolut which does not respond to my details.

I've purchased quite a lot directly from Accurascale and never had so much trouble.

Any help welcome.

We take (default) all major credit and debit cards, which is the first payment option, then PayPal, then ClearPay, then Revolut (which is for both cards and direct bank payments).

Unless you have a revolut account personally you are paying through? Choose one of the other payment methods.879418680_Screenshot2023-03-31at12_19_57.png.dc7ae374fa250d54c386db3ff1dee613.png

Edited by McC

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2023 at 13:25, David C said:

I agree that the advance models look remarkably well detailed and realistic. One quick question (not intended as a criticism): how easy will it be to remove the corridor connections? Almost all of the vehicles my eagerly awaited Siphon will be coupled to are compartment coaches (my layout is - guess what- a branchline!), so prototypically the connections would be compressed. I appreciate that manufacturers can't cater for extended/compressed connections, so have replaced the ones on the few corridor vehicles I've got .... Ideally, I'd like to do the same on my Siphon, but might decide to live with the connections for fear of damaging it.

David C

I know that it won't help you but when one of my Shunters tried it (by forgetting to undo the clutches before parting two News Siphons) instead of detaching either of the gangways he pulled the complete end out of one of the vehicles.  The gangways were seemingly plenty tough enough to carry both the weight of another gangway plus a vehicle end without tearing or otherwise falling apart.  

One vehicle more or less straight back into traffic (the next night), the other immediately condemned as too expensive to repair.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 4069 said:

Why does the GWR version have a W in front of the running number?

Transition after 1948 nationalisation & creation of WR region  ? Very few vehicles could be re liveried quickly and the GWR died hard. Some of its locos were carrying GWR lettering on their tenders into the 1960’s 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Transition after 1948 nationalisation & creation of WR region  ? Very few vehicles could be re liveried quickly and the GWR died hard. Some of its locos were carrying GWR lettering on their tenders into the 1960’s 

A timely reminder to order one,as it so happened..That period was one of the most interesting in our railway history.

Job done,as they say nowadays.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rprodgers said:

You are looking at the BR transitional one .

The GW versions are lower down.

No, I'm looking at the 1930s GWR version with the white roof and shirtbutton monogram, which is numbered W2780.

image.png.e0c2a00016f636b75d20cc6604253085.png

Edited by 4069

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 4069 said:

No, I'm looking at the 1930s GWR version with the white roof and shirtbutton monogram, which is numbered W2780.

@4069That is the BR Transitional period livery. Still in GWR Brown, still with the logo, but prefixed with W in accordance with BR policy at the time (although, and I'm sure someone will be able to give greater detail, it should technically be W2780W, being Grouping origin stock?).

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 15.09.18.png

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Islesy said:

@4069That is the BR Transitional period livery. Still in GWR Brown, still with the logo, but prefixed with W in accordance with BR policy at the time (although, and I'm sure someone will be able to give greater detail, it should technically be W2780W, being Grouping origin stock?).

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 15.09.18.png

I'm going to remove the W as I model 1947 @Islesy 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

OK, thanks. Perhaps you should supply it ready-weathered as the shiny white roof doesn't really work for a vehicle that must have been at least six years away from its last repaint 🙂

• Friendly/supportive 1