Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

i don't think you need to rush with Hornby any more.

look how silent the whole Hornby topic has become.

The biggest topic of 2022 is the ill fated movie thread, hardly a positive.

The other manufacturers threads are quite healthy in discussion.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

What's interesting is that some of the models that were hard to preorder can now be picked up from many retailers including tier 3 ones - Hattons have several new items as do Kent Garden Railways (who no longer have a retail shop so must be tier 3). 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i don't think you need to rush with Hornby any more.

look how silent the whole Hornby topic has become.

The biggest topic of 2022 is the ill fated movie thread, hardly a positive.

The other manufacturers threads are quite healthy in discussion.

Im not sure thats necessarily a sign that Hornby have an issue with the excitement generated by their 2022 announcements or other manufacturers threads show they have more interest than Hornby, the reality is its very difficult to keep a topic going on Hornby models we might not see for another 12-18months that are little more than stock photos of real trains, vs  a Bachmann model that will be in the shops before the end of this month that weve got actual samples to see

So like we cant really discuss what these GA 755s are going to be like,  because despite the catalogue claiming a Spring 2022 release, nobody believes that date, in fact most would doubt a Spring 2023 release considering the backlog of 2020/2021 models still stuck on slow boats from China.

maybe if a prototype showed up on the next Engine Shed release, or appeared at a show Hornby decide to go to, maybe then there would be stuff to discuss, but there seems little point just aimlessly speculating when theres so little facts about it to discuss.

and if Hornby allocations are letting stocks turn up in shops now, howcome Kernow still arent accepting orders from the 2022 range ? I preordered on the basis I want these GA755s as models to add to my collection, and maybe enough interest means we get a 745, or something else Eastern region

• Agree 4

49 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

What's interesting is that some of the models that were hard to preorder can now be picked up from many retailers including tier 3 ones - Hattons have several new items as do Kent Garden Railways (who no longer have a retail shop so must be tier 3). 

Yes, APTs were pretty much sold out I think when they were imminent, could have bought plenty of them at the Doncaster show!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stonojnr said:

because despite the catalogue claiming a Spring 2022 release, nobody believes that date

I agree, it does seem like the dates they supply aren't realistic. I will be very surprised if the TPE 802, Lumo 803 and LNER Scottish 800 appear in "spring 2022". I personally would be happy if they did, but my bank account wouldn't!

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I agree, it does seem like the dates they supply aren't realistic. I will be very surprised if the TPE 802, Lumo 803 and LNER Scottish 800 appear in "spring 2022". I personally would be happy if they did, but my bank account wouldn't!

I didn’t expect the NR six coupled Sentinels to arrive but they did!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, APTs were pretty much sold out I think when they were imminent, could have bought plenty of them at the Doncaster show!

I was thinking the same in a Glasgow - nearly every trader seemed to have them! 

Although having felt how cheap feeling the coaches were, and all the issues with the motor coach I’d read about on here, mine was promptly returned without even taking it out the box - along with the 4 coach packs delivered last year!

Not sure how widespread returns have been but may explain a lot of the stock on sale! 

Edited by Global
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, stonojnr said:

Im not sure thats necessarily a sign that Hornby have an issue with the excitement generated by their 2022 announcements or other manufacturers threads show they have more interest than Hornby, the reality is its very difficult to keep a topic going on Hornby models we might not see for another 12-18months that are little more than stock photos of real trains, vs  a Bachmann model that will be in the shops before the end of this month that weve got actual samples to see

So like we cant really discuss what these GA 755s are going to be like,  because despite the catalogue claiming a Spring 2022 release, nobody believes that date, in fact most would doubt a Spring 2023 release considering the backlog of 2020/2021 models still stuck on slow boats from China.

maybe if a prototype showed up on the next Engine Shed release, or appeared at a show Hornby decide to go to, maybe then there would be stuff to discuss, but there seems little point just aimlessly speculating when theres so little facts about it to discuss.

and if Hornby allocations are letting stocks turn up in shops now, howcome Kernow still arent accepting orders from the 2022 range ? I preordered on the basis I want these GA755s as models to add to my collection, and maybe enough interest means we get a 745, or something else Eastern region

Apart of the A4 60007, everything is available on Hornbys website.

This has been considerable angst by Hornbys retailer network, which has occasionally been expressed on these pages, including a press release by Kernow.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/765/Hornby-2022-Range

if you join the club, you get the same 10% discount that retailers offer.

As I understand it, many retailers are simply chosing to not accept or limiting pre-orders.

Given the higher prices, lower quality, I dont think anyone needs to rush… and if it does sell out, they will do more.. theyve re-announced runs with everything popular Rocket, coaches, w1, Dublo Duchess, Dublo MN, APT, Lner Azuma, GWR Azuma… nothings “rare” about Hornby any more, all imo.

they are doing 4x class 755’s… I dont think many will buy all 4 of them.

I've gone from huge spending multi year fan, in just over a year to dissapointed and cautiously avoiding .. through tactics, pricing, quality and behaviour.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

And then they are (or were) also giving out vouchers for 15% off for repeat orders.

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Given the higher prices, lower quality, I dont think anyone needs to rush… and if it does sell out, they will do more

I sorta agree, but there are ones where there seems to be a bit of an absurd shortage with no sign of any more arriving anytime soon. One example of this are HSTs, with certain liveries very much sought after.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I sorta agree, but there are ones where there seems to be a bit of an absurd shortage with no sign of any more arriving anytime soon. One example of this are HSTs, with certain liveries very much sought after.

HSTs they are rotating, FGW and EMT made a come back, they announced the old FGW green… HSTs have so many liveries. I just never understood the glut of Vtec/LNER coaches with so few power cars.. but the potential is pent up.

Thing is boats sail… EMR was hugely in demand in 2021.. but as its now history some of that demand will definitely wane. If it were my decision i’d have had 2 EMR sets out by now, with 43102 in one, and 43272 in another, with an Ex-LNER EMR one in each in 2021 delivery now, like the FGW ones.

They could have announced these in March 2021, instead of TItfield Thunderbolt and all the pallava that followed.

Time moves on, Now I think they could do a celeb pack, and an EMR pack, but suspect neither would sell at the same excitement as was in Spring 2021, and doing the mix packs idea would simply see people suffice with one or the other.

Missed opportunity…, in. 2020, 2021, 2022 and maybe 2023, of course some one else might already be doing it, and maybe in twin powered trailers, who knows that might even be why they haven't done it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

HSTs they are rotating, FGW and EMT made a come back, they announced the old FGW green… HSTs have so many liveries. I just never understood the glut of Vtec/LNER coaches with so few power cars.. but the potential is pent up.

Thing is boats sail… EMR was hugely in demand in 2021.. but as its now history some of that demand will definitely wane. If it were my decision i’d have had 2 EMR sets out by now, with 43102 in one, and 43272 in another, with an Ex-LNER EMR one in each in 2020 delivery now, like the FGW ones.

Time moves on, Now I think they could do a celeb pack, and an EMR pack, but suspect neither would sell at the same excitement as was in Spring 2020, and doing the mix packs idea would simply see people suffice with one or the other.

Missed opportunity…, in. 2020, 2021, 2022 and maybe 2023, of course some one else might already be doing it, and maybe in twin powered trailers, who knows that might even be why they haven't done it.

I think you are absolutely right with the EMR HSTs.  There was a huge potential and probably time critical opportunity for Hornby to whack out some "farewell to EMR HSTs" limited editions.  apart from those "celebs" mentioned they could possibly also "reuse" at least one pair of the ex GCR 434xx power cars with the EMR logo. 

I think that was relatively time critical and would need to have been in the 2022 catalogue, but have Hornby done any of the Colas partial rebrands ? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, TomScrut said:

This has aged well. The LNER Celebrating Scotland 800 is with Hornby now, just paid for it!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

This has aged well. The LNER Celebrating Scotland 800 is with Hornby now, just paid for it!

I just got the e-mail from Hornby. Nice, but with 800 201, NOT the Celebrating Scotland 800 104. At least the link works and goes to the right set.

I am seriously thinking someone in there works for the competition.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

This has been considerable angst by Hornbys retailer network, which has occasionally been expressed on these pages, including a press release by Kernow.

As I understand it, many retailers are simply chosing to not accept or limiting pre-orders.

Given the higher prices, lower quality, I dont think anyone needs to rush… and if it does sell out, they will do more.. theyve re-announced runs with everything popular Rocket, coaches, w1, Dublo Duchess, Dublo MN, APT, Lner Azuma, GWR Azuma… nothings “rare” about Hornby any more, all imo.

I've gone from huge spending multi year fan, in just over a year to dissapointed and cautiously avoiding .. through tactics, pricing, quality and behaviour.

I don't think it's a bad thing to be able to browse an item at leisure once it's come out rather than to have to pile into a pre-order months/years before delivery. Ironically, I suspect that when the dust settles, one or two people will end up buying items that they originally left alone because of pre-order hype/quality issues. For example, there are a few Intercity Mk3 DVTs still around to be had; even allowing for needing to mask the light bleed and darken the light grey window frames, it's still the cheapest route to a scale version.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

I just got the e-mail from Hornby. Nice, but with 800 201, NOT the Celebrating Scotland 800 104. At least the link works and goes to the right set.

I am seriously thinking someone in there works for the competition.... 

I presume they already had pre potted photos of the older pack, I was disappointed not to see actual pics of it though.

2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

it's still the cheapest route to a scale version

Exactly. Most of the time if people want stuff enough they will make the compromise. It is the people where the item is a nice to have, or those wanting an excuse not to buy it that they won't.

• Like 4

On 16/03/2022 at 10:29, adb968008 said:

Yes, as someone who has a good many of their locomotives and stock, I now just give them a wide birth.  There's is no appeal now, similar reasons to yourself.......

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just goes to show you can't put a price on goodwill and image , as P&O just found out .

The class 60 is still fantastic though and that's a massive shame , as they could have pumped more out 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2022 at 16:02, rob D2 said:

Just goes to show you can't put a price on goodwill and image , as P&O just found out .

Maybe it's something in the Kent Water.....as long as Spitfire Ale (especially Gold) don't get contaminated, I can survive without any other Kent fixes........

• Like 1

The class 60 is still fantastic though and that's a massive shame , as they could have pumped more out 

I'm surprised a Railfreight Metals Class 60 has never been produced, but then the possible Class 60 liveries have probably been covered better than the Class 31s by comparison

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I'm surprised a Railfreight Metals Class 60 has never been produced, but then the possible Class 60 liveries have probably been covered better than the Class 31s by comparison

The class 60 is definitely a great model but could be improved when you see what other companies are bringing out. Just look at the class 31 and class 56. Both Hornby diesel super detail spec and are still good models but now being re-tooled by other companies. Hornby allegedly almost lost the HST too before they very publicly announced a re tool. Maybe time to badger a certain Irish manufacturer for a re tool of a class 60 especially if there are livery gaps............. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Br60066 said:

The class 60 is definitely a great model but could be improved when you see what other companies are bringing out.

Given they have just upgraded the lighting, I really don't see any point. The snowploughs on the Hornby 60 are evil but other than that I aren't really sure what benefits would be had from spending £100k+ on tooling it. Until the Dapol 68 came along only a few years ago, the 60 was pretty much unanimously thought of as the best diesel loco on the OO gauge market IIRC, and has only really been overtaken by the 68, arguably the Hattons 66 depending on what side of the QC fence you sit on, Bachmann 47 perhaps and the AS stuff when it arrives.

Just look at the class 31 and class 56. Both Hornby diesel super detail spec and are still good models

The 60 is way ahead of both of these in my opinion, I don't think it's realistic to justify a 60 simply because the 56 and 31 have been done. Plenty of people prefer the Lima 31s body shape, which pretty much says it all about the Hornby 31, it was never heralded as being brilliant from day one.

especially if there are livery gaps

That's maybe the only reason I think it would work is if there was a big demand for a lot of liveries. I don't think they'd all be sold on simply being slightly better than the Hornby one.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably buy them if they were available, but I think I'd have to be pretty desperate for something to tool up to go for the 60.

The 50 or the 33 would be better choices IMO, plenty of requests for a better 50 can be found on here and the 33 isn't amazing either.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Given they have just upgraded the lighting, I really don't see any point. The snowploughs on the Hornby 60 are evil but other than that I aren't really sure what benefits would be had from spending £100k+ on tooling it. Until the Dapol 68 came along only a few years ago, the 60 was pretty much unanimously thought of as the best diesel loco on the OO gauge market IIRC, and has only really been overtaken by the 68, arguably the Hattons 66 depending on what side of the QC fence you sit on, Bachmann 47 perhaps and the AS stuff when it arrives.

The 60 is way ahead of both of these in my opinion, I don't think it's realistic to justify a 60 simply because the 56 and 31 have been done. Plenty of people prefer the Lima 31s body shape, which pretty much says it all about the Hornby 31, it was never heralded as being brilliant from day one.

That's maybe the only reason I think it would work is if there was a big demand for a lot of liveries. I don't think they'd all be sold on simply being slightly better than the Hornby one.

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably buy them if they were available, but I think I'd have to be pretty desperate for something to tool up to go for the 60.

The 50 or the 33 would be better choices IMO, plenty of requests for a better 50 can be found on here and the 33 isn't amazing either.

Must admit I did forget about the new models getting the 21 pin upgrade. Wasn't aware this came with lighting updates? Do we have any confirmed details on exactly what lighting updates we are getting? Cab lights would really be a big step forward.

Agreed there isn't a lot to improve but still think there is some scope for improvement. My main concern with the current class 60 offering is that the moulds looks to be getting tired. That or the model is really suffering from Hornby quality issues. Lots of parts on newer models have excessive flash on them that wasn't present on the original run. Newer models exhaust and cooling group painting have also taken a serous downgrade and looks very unrealistic. Couple this with some recent models having details flooded out by excessively thick paint and you lose some of the quality the class 60 was known for when it first came out.

As for new features I would love to see brass bearings in the bogies, removal of the opening doors and better lighting control with cab lights (pending the 2022 releases at least). Could even push the boat out and add a cooling group light. The coupling on the class 60 has always been its achilles heal so would also want to see this re engineered. Under-frame and bogie detail while there is hard to see and all black. A touch of paint down here would look wonders. Just look at recently painted class 60's and you can see the pipework on their bogies shine. Also as you mentioned, a batter air damn arrangement would be a god send.

I appreciate these are all minor things and most can be solved by a liberal application of modelling. Hornby could even fix all this by doing a v1.5 tooling. Would be less of a job than the partial retooling they have recently done for the A1/A3 die cast update.

Agreed the class 50 is definitely the low hanging fruit of the Hornby range. Surely Hornby realise this too as with the HST and are currently working on a new tooling. If not its a very attractive one for another manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Must admit I did forget about the new models getting the 21 pin upgrade. Wasn't aware this came with lighting updates? Do we have any confirmed details on exactly what lighting updates we are getting? Cab lights would really be a big step forward.

I thought it was mentioned somewhere as to it having improved functions to make use of the new socket, not necessarily more lighting but what is already on the model being switchable via DCC.

28 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Agreed there isn't a lot to improve but still think there is some scope for improvement. My main concern with the current class 60 offering is that the moulds looks to be getting tired. That or the model is really suffering from Hornby quality issues. Lots of parts on newer models have excessive flash on them that wasn't present on the original run. Newer models exhaust and cooling group painting have also taken a serous downgrade and looks very unrealistic. Couple this with some recent models having details flooded out by excessively thick paint and you lose some of the quality the class 60 was known for when it first came out.

In fairness this is an excellent point. Even daft stuff like them no longer supplying the snowplough/air dam for use without a coupler is letting it down.

29 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

As for new features I would love to see brass bearings in the bogies, removal of the opening doors and better lighting control with cab lights (pending the 2022 releases at least). Could even push the boat out and add a cooling group light. The coupling on the class 60 has always been its achilles heal so would also want to see this re engineered. Under-frame and bogie detail while there is hard to see and all black. A touch of paint down here would look wonders. Just look at recently painted class 60's and you can see the pipework on their bogies shine. Also as you mentioned, a batter air damn arrangement would be a god send.

I do think there is validity to what you're saying here too.

My main issue with it is I think that A) there are easier targets still in the marketplace and B) the 60 whilst maybe not what it once was, is still very good and so recouping the tooling money could be a challenge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My pet peeve - with the Hornby Class 60 I think it's the colours that let them down, where they used to have the capability to produce a good triple grey Class 60 back in the mid-late 2000s with their first few releases, nowadays their more modern releases all use shades that are too dark. It's almost like they had a member(s) of staff that left the business and took the knowledge with them - the last decently-shaded triple grey releases they did were 60062 in Trainload Petroleum, 60066 in Coal/Transrail mash and 60014 in EWS sticker triple grey. 

Each release since including 60090 and 60015 have all been wrong, the Rail grey being too yellow and the upper Flint grey being too dark. Strangely it never gets picked out by the model reviews in the magazines (the old REX reviews would've seen this!) - lots of big fuss when Hornby misprinted the Construction logo in the wrong place on the body but not one person mentioned that the basic shades of grey were completely wrong, making the loco still useless without a repaint 🤦‍♂️😄

Hopefully now they've announced new runs of 60001 and 60002 they will have new shades of grey much closer to the real thing, fingers crossed!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 6