Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I can't be alone in NOT wanting Hornby to retool the 50.

I want a manufacturer fully invested in the DE future with engagement to match 

TBH as it stands I don't think anyone is asking Hornby to retool anything. Pretty much every request I see on here for a tooling is with Accurascale in mind, and despite my views that they are not yet a proven manufacturer of locos (although I don't want another argument about that), I can fully understand why and completely agree with the reasoning.

From what we know about their upcoming releases, along with what has been delivered with the IRM A class, we would be getting a state of the art loco at a price less than what Bachmann and Hornby are willing to sell us stuff out of ancient tooling for.

I expect anything Hornby announce, especially in D&E will be met with mixed emotions. Glad somebody is doing it but wondering what mistakes will be made.

But, in fairness to Hornby, they did listen and respond in terms of upgrading the DCC sockets on upcoming releases. They do seem to be listening. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to stop ridiculous mistakes like the Scotland Azuma having Carlisle and Watford Junction on the destination boards.

I have also not heard of any disasters on the 91 yet other than one or two bits of finishing.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, James Makin said:

My pet peeve - with the Hornby Class 60 I think it's the colours that let them down, where they used to have the capability to produce a good triple grey Class 60 back in the mid-late 2000s with their first few releases, nowadays their more modern releases all use shades that are too dark. It's almost like they had a member(s) of staff that left the business and took the knowledge with them - the last decently-shaded triple grey releases they did were 60062 in Trainload Petroleum, 60066 in Coal/Transrail mash and 60014 in EWS sticker triple grey. 

Each release since including 60090 and 60015 have all been wrong, the Rail grey being too yellow and the upper Flint grey being too dark. Strangely it never gets picked out by the model reviews in the magazines (the old REX reviews would've seen this!) - lots of big fuss when Hornby misprinted the Construction logo in the wrong place on the body but not one person mentioned that the basic shades of grey were completely wrong, making the loco still useless without a repaint 🤦‍♂️😄

Hopefully now they've announced new runs of 60001 and 60002 they will have new shades of grey much closer to the real thing, fingers crossed!

Cheers,

James

I do miss the reviews of the past that weren't actually scared to highlight any issues - all the reviews these days seem pretty pointless reading to be honest, as if they’re in bed with the manufacturer or scared to get on the wrong side of them! 

The model can be completely the wrong shape or colour, or both in some cases and the reviewer ignores all the issues and writes… ‘excellent model 9 out of 10!’

I think it was Philip Sutton who pulled no punches in his reviews and should be applauded for that and of course is now putting his money where his mouth and producing some great models! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Global said:

The model can be completely the wrong shape or colour, or both in some cases and the reviewer ignores all the issues and writes… ‘excellent model 9 out of 10!’

Go on, give us an actual example. After all, if you are right, there will be hundreds to chose from.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Global said:

all the reviews these days seem pretty pointless reading to be honest, as if they’re in bed with the manufacturer or scared to get on the wrong side of them! 

Haven't you realised yet how much I despise that worn-out garbage?

• Like 2

Ignoring anything Railroad what do Hornby have in their slightly better than Railroad range?

08, 31, 50, 56, 60 and HST, and if being really generous - the 153! Lol.

The 31 and 56 have already been targeted obviously, Hornby’s half hearted attempt at the HST still leaves it a viable target I think (hope!) for a high end version along with the others, not too fussed on the 153 though! 

I agree with the comments on the 60 - I think it was one of their best at the time but they’ve let it go somewhat, both in quality and decoration. When I was going for mid 2000s I thought the EWS ones were pretty good, but the recent Railfreight ones, as has been said, are really not great. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Glad somebody is doing it but wondering what mistakes will be made.

They do seem to be listening. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to stop ridiculous mistakes like the Scotland Azuma having Carlisle and Watford Junction on the destination boards.

Just thought i’d highlight this.

I couldn't believe it to be true, but checking Kernows images its confirmed.

I’m just stunned for words….

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Just thought i’d highlight this.

I couldn't believe it to be true, but checking Kernows images its confirmed.

I’m just stunned for words….

20220412_220337.jpg.2fb10c15232bdd18be26e8977303306f.jpg

Remarkable isn't it. I almost feel guilty for letting them get away with it by keeping it, but given I have waited over two years for this and is pretty much an essential item on my layout (present day ECML) I ain't sending it back for that.

It's more the ridiculous nature of the mistake than anything (as in who put that on the artwork thinking it would be OK), at least it's not very obvious.

Not to mention they got it right on the first one!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

TBH as it stands I don't think anyone is asking Hornby to retool anything. Pretty much every request I see on here for a tooling is with Accurascale in mind, and despite my views that they are not yet a proven manufacturer of locos (although I don't want another argument about that), I can fully understand why and completely agree with the reasoning.

From what we know about their upcoming releases, along with what has been delivered with the IRM A class, we would be getting a state of the art loco at a price less than what Bachmann and Hornby are willing to sell us stuff out of ancient tooling for.

I expect anything Hornby announce, especially in D&E will be met with mixed emotions. Glad somebody is doing it but wondering what mistakes will be made.

But, in fairness to Hornby, they did listen and respond in terms of upgrading the DCC sockets on upcoming releases. They do seem to be listening. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to stop ridiculous mistakes like the Scotland Azuma having Carlisle and Watford Junction on the destination boards.

I have also not heard of any disasters on the 91 yet other than one or two bits of finishing.

They might have listened eventually when it comes to DCC sockets, but lets be honest, it took them long enough to make a move towards what every other manufacturer was doing. I dont want Hornby to retool anything because I dont want their frustrating, stupid mistakes.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A good marketing opportunity for a decal maker?

Doesn't excuse carelessness.

You need 22 transfers to fix this.. 

I cannot imagine how this could even creep past what must be several people and end up in the box, even my 11 year old daughter found this mistake funny.

Sadly its just another mark of “quality” and one of those things which will go on the epitaph someday. At £400+ Its an easy decision for me to now give this a miss.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, GordonC said:

They might have listened eventually when it comes to DCC sockets, but lets be honest, it took them long enough to make a move towards what every other manufacturer was doing. I dont want Hornby to retool anything because I dont want their frustrating, stupid mistakes.

Exactly. I feel it is reactive rather than pioneering.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I cannot imagine how this could even creep past what must be several people and end up in the box, even my 11 year old daughter found this mistake funny.

Sadly its just another mark of “quality” and one of those things which will go on the epitaph someday. At £400+ Its an easy decision for me to now give this a miss.

You’ve hit the nail on the head there.

I must admit I’m now more worried about the quality of the TransPennine Express 802/2 that I have on order.

If any livery samples are published which show destinations significantly off the usual booked Liverpool Lime Street-Newcastle route then I will be distinctly unhappy. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 4630 said:

You’ve hit the nail on the head there.

I must admit I’m now more worried about the quality of the TransPennine Express 802/2 that I have on order.

If any livery samples are published which show destinations significantly off the usual booked Liverpool Lime Street-Newcastle route then I will be distinctly unhappy. 

Dont be too down hearted if they turn up with Eastleigh…. they have worked on the SWML..😀 afterall..

https://www.47soton.co.uk/2019/06/802206-at300-for-trans-pennine.html

Sadly, I think change will only come if Phoenix read this forum and saw where there money is going.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Dont be too down hearted if they turn up with Eastleigh…. they have worked on the SWML..😀 afterall..

This is very true. 

Although don’t give Hornby any ideas as we don’t want Eastleigh to appear on all future releases!

All the various flavours of class 800s will be visiting Eastleigh as the current thinking is that that is where the work to remedy the cracking is to be carried out.  A plan of work that is scheduled to take six years apparently. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 4630 said:

This is very true. 

Although don’t give Hornby any ideas as we don’t want Eastleigh to appear on all future releases!

All the various flavours of class 800s will be visiting Eastleigh as the current thinking is that that is where the work to remedy the cracking is to be carried out.  A plan of work that is scheduled to take six years apparently. 

Given how the UK is towards 800’s i’m expecting a 3rd rail/diesel version at somepoint to replace 158/9’s on exeters, that or switching it to Paddington/ GWR from Basingstoke.

Those 159’s are getting a bit tired for that run, after 30 years.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Given how the UK is towards 800’s i’m expecting a 3rd rail/diesel version at somepoint to replace 158/9’s on exeters, that or switching it to Paddington/ GWR from Basingstoke.

Those 159’s are getting a bit tired for that run, after 30 years.

Diesel/Battery - it will use batteries in built up areas to reduce pollution then switch to diesel when cruising in the countryside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Diesel/Battery - it will use batteries in built up areas to reduce pollution then switch to diesel when cruising in the countryside.

Seriously, is Battery tech that good to lift an 8 car train, 90 miles over west country hills at upto 100mph… just the diesel legs, and back, several times a day, at an affordable electric price ?

not to mention the amount of charging infrastructure and space needed to support 110 vehicles on this route. Even Charging 8 cars whilst on go, whilst on the 3rd rail section is going to suck a lot of additional overhead juice.

WoE isnt a nice branchline route for 30 mph class 230’s.

i’m not sure the tech is there yet for this, but time is running out for the 159’s, and the closest thing I see to a 47/7 is an 800, politically and economically…

that said TPE class 68’s and mk5’s seem to be sat around not doing much.

I suspect our railways are going to end up victorian, with a network of  electric towers, instead of water towers, and 10-15 minute “top up” stops or battery changes echoing the good old days…. Assuming we can afford the electric bill..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Not for mainline running on batteries, that would be massive, no just in stations and built up areas

https://railway-news.com/hitachi-and-eversholt-rail-to-develop-gwr-intercity-battery-hybrid-train/

Yes a tri mode is definitely more achieveable.

Indeed that potentially makes a switch from SWR to GWR, and Waterloo to Paddington more easy to justify too, rather than a 750v 800 bi-mode.

anyways i’m heading the topic down a rabbit hole.

I still dont think i’ll see the day an 800 leaves Euston for Carlilse with LNER markings anytime soon.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2022 at 05:21, adb968008 said:

Sorry to bring this point up for those who have purchased an azuma, but have Hornby actually offered to do anything to rectify there obvious mistake? No stickers/decals with customisable destinations etc? I find this rather amusing to say when another manufacturer got a decal in the wrong place they sent out whole new bodyshells! Are Hornby just assuming the crowd will put up and shut up or have they offered to do anything for the buyers?

2 hours ago, XChris said:

Sorry to bring this point up for those who have purchased an azuma, but have Hornby actually offered to do anything to rectify there obvious mistake? No stickers/decals with customisable destinations etc? I find this rather amusing to say when another manufacturer got a decal in the wrong place they sent out whole new bodyshells! Are Hornby just assuming the crowd will put up and shut up or have they offered to do anything for the buyers?

No idea, I haven't even bothered complaining TBH, as it will be like when I complained about the light bleed (asking if there was a plan to solve it) "send it back and we will look at it" despite it obviously being an issue they were aware of.

Bloody moaners !

Hornby have generated modellers licence for you by increasing the area these run in , so you can run them all over the country and all you do is complain !

frustrated of Eastleigh 

Edited by rob D2
  • Funny 10

On 12/04/2022 at 14:29, James Makin said:

Hopefully now they've announced new runs of 60001 and 60002 they will have new shades of grey much closer to the real thing, fingers crossed!

Cheers,

James

They will probably get the colour the wrong way around, a la RFD European.

To be honest, with the Hornby Class 60, it's never worth nearly £220!  Unless it's buy 60001, get 60002 free!

Edited by Torbay Express
Oooooops, 60 not 66!
  • Agree 1