Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Torbay Express said:

They will probably get the colour the wrong way around, a la RFD European.

To be honest, with the Hornby Class 66, it's never worth nearly £220!  Unless it's buy 60001, get 60002 free!

Can't say I've ever seen a Hornby 66 for £220........ 🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

To be honest, with the Hornby Class 66, it's never worth nearly £220!  Unless it's buy 60001, get 60002 free!

Hornby probably agree with you,  they sell them at less than £100?

Roddy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Assuming you mean Hornby Class 60; agreed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

Hornby probably agree with you,  they sell them at less than £100?

Roddy

Not for long.......there's always another price rise later in the year, and then next year's price hike!  

Personally I like my Hattons 66's, which great value in comparison....

Edited by Torbay Express
Addition
  • Like 1

Hornby’s Modern or even whole D&E team are just really letting the side down when it comes to progressing the hobby. I feel there at a Heljan level with the 91, but still miles off the Bachmann/Accurascale levels. I think that they really need to work on what’s coming out to make sure the rest of there releases come out above Heljan or even Bachmann level at least.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, XChris said:

Hornby’s Modern or even whole D&E team are just really letting the side down when it comes to progressing the hobby. I feel there at a Heljan level with the 91, but still miles off the Bachmann/Accurascale levels. I think that they really need to work on what’s coming out to make sure the rest of there releases come out above Heljan or even Bachmann level at least.

Having said that the 60 would represent good value at £160 odd quid compared with a Bachmann 47 still with rubbish front steps and ploughs at £203 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Having said that the 60 would represent good value at £160 odd quid compared with a Bachmann 47 still with rubbish front steps and ploughs at £203 

To be honest, have very little interest in Hornby, Heljan and Bachmann, apart from the odd HST, DCR Class 60 and Class 69 - whatever year they come!  Everything too pricey, with very little to offer.  Got most wagons and coaches in the past days of good prices.  Sooner take the A/S route, with a bit of Revolution and Dapol freight stock for variety.  The horse has bolted!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

Sooner take the A/S route, with a bit of Revolution and Dapol freight stock for variety.  The horse has bolted!

It's OK saying that but a lot of us do in fact rely on Hornby and Bachmann for a lot of things. Whilst there is a better range than ever, the only loco suitable for pulling the new IIA/HYAs on a regular basis NOT made by Bachmann or Hornby is the Hattons 66, which you cannot buy new anymore anyway. (More detailed post about this on the thread about these wagons).

Depends on how "odd" the items you list are I suppose but I'd rather not limit my choice of stock simply because of who makes it, but OTOH I won't buy it if it isn't good enough or too dear anyway unless I feel I really have to due to the era/region of my layout. Example there are the LNER 800s, with light bleed and the dodgy destinations. Whilst they were dear and have their issues, I can't really have a 2019-present day ECML layout without them!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I wouldn’t mention ploughs and 60’s, seen as Hornby have stopped supplying the best plough. They no longer give you the plough with coupling hole, which is frustrating to say the least. And yeah your right about the 47’s front steps, however on the Bachmann model you get switchable tail lights, cab lights, engine room lights and a plux 22 decoder socket. This is miles in front of the electric’s that Hornby are supplying, even with there ‘new’ 21 pin socket that in theory could be be the same one from the very old 60’s with sound fitted of the Loksound V3.5 variant…

I will say it’s a bit half a dozen of one half a dozen of the other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XChris said:

why do we think that is though ? I dont want to use the "details, details, details" mantra on them, again, but even in jest they know they make products people will count moulded rivets on in the steam side, and yet keep getting the detailed things in the D&E so wrong. How does the Scotland Azuma end up with Carlisle and Watford Junction on the destination boards and nobody at Hornby noticed ? which would be bad if it were being sold at railroad prices, but its £400+

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, XChris said:

I wouldn’t mention ploughs and 60’s, seen as Hornby have stopped supplying the best plough. They no longer give you the plough with coupling hole, which is frustrating to say the least

The last couple of 60s I had from Hornby had ploughs/deflectors with the coupling slot, but not the non-slotted version that is used with full buffer beam detail.

Original 60s used to be supplied with two of each type and I believe Hornby will supply "full" ploughs for later models if you contact them.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, stonojnr said:

why do we think that is though ? I dont want to use the "details, details, details" mantra on them, again, but even in jest they know they make products people will count moulded rivets on in the steam side, and yet keep getting the detailed things in the D&E so wrong. How does the Scotland Azuma end up with Carlisle and Watford Junction on the destination boards and nobody at Hornby noticed ? which would be bad if it were being sold at railroad prices, but its £400+

Personally I think it’s because the things like Azuma’s and Class 60’s aren’t as magical and interesting to non-train people. A steam locomotive drags in crowds and makes people stop and point. And maybe because Hornby isn’t full of Diesel & Electric enthusiasts these things slip through the net because the CAD designers don’t pay as much attention to them where as when they go to get photos of a steam engine they really enjoy it, because they aren’t modern modellers they are simply CAD designers…

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The last couple of 60s I had from Hornby had ploughs/deflectors with the coupling slot, but not the non-slotted version that is used with full buffer beam detail.

Original 60s used to be supplied with two of each type and I believe Hornby will supply "full" ploughs for later models if you contact them.

Sorry Mick, 2 ten and a half hour days are catching up with me. I must have got muddled up and I wasn’t aware they would send them out, I must get mine sent out to go with the countless new Modern Image ones I have purchased. I’m just saying why aren’t they doing it regardless and why do we have to ask for them and not just given them. Hopefully in the new releases the models will come with both supplied without asking…

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Example there are the LNER 800s, with light bleed and the dodgy destinations. Whilst they were dear and have their issues, I can't really have a 2019-present day ECML layout without them!

You have my sincerest condolences with the 800s......

Hornby/Bachmann- luckily got most rolling stock I required within a couple of years of it being produced, rather than at the current prices!  Really feel sorry for anyone starting out and wanting a rake of wagons such as TTA's, MEAs, Seacow's etc., nowadays.

Hattons 66.....Take it you mean like this......

IMG_20220420_144927.jpg.361eae003372fa8c54b82b4859a45216.jpg

...They were on sale for over a year, so really there were lots of chances for people to get them, prior to the HYA/IIA's arrival.  Whilst they have their problems initially they are the best locomotive I currently own!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, XChris said:

To follow on to this, now I’m a massive Accurascale fan. However I’m yet to receive my batch of HYA/IIA wagons, as I went through a local retailer to get mine and that takes a bit longer to do. However I’ve seen the reviews online and the slight tooling problem, but it’s a simple fix the rest of my Accurascale stuff is spot on and I’m sure that the guys will be learning from this, they already have released a clip to show you how to fix it and the wagons look brilliant. But how many times do you see someone from Hornby Commenting in this community and giving and taking as good as it gets. You don’t. There’s guys on here at the likes of Cavalex, Realtrack, Revolution and of course Accurascale who really should be commended for putting up with our absolute dribble and impatience and lack of manors sometimes. These companies have a passion for modelling and want to connect to there buyers. Hornby just have a CAD designer who throws out a model every once in a while. *DISCLAIMER* or that’s how it feels, especially with how they treat smaller retailers as well who also have that passion for modelling.

Edited by XChris
Spelling
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, stonojnr said:

Thats quite simple really, people who know about railway would not make that error !!!!!

So the conclusion must be:   They dont know!!!!   Very sad really.  Charlie

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, XChris said:

There’s guys on here at the likes of Cavalex, Revolution and of course Accurascale who really should be commended for putting up with our absolute dribble and impatience and lack of manors sometimes.

I think it is great for everyone when people who are enthusiasts are doing it for a job. Not just "I need a job" which is where most of the manufacturers' employees will lie.

That doesn't mean to say that those who aren't enthusiasts don't enjoy ntheir job or try hard, it's just that it's a massive advantage having an interest in the base subject, and given that a lot of the job is copying a large prototype and scaling it down and then engineering it to be manufacturable and functional, from an engineer's perspective the latter is where the main interest lays. 

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 3

Hi All,

Reflecting on Hornby’s ‘top notch’ diesel locomotive range.

They have in their portfolio the class 8, 31, 43 (HST), 50, 56 & 60.

The class 31 & 56 will soon be offered by other manufacturers and although yet to be seen, the specification looks impressive.

The class 43 has recently had a modest upgrade & as an aside with the Oxford Mk3 coaches now under Hornby ownership, these could improve this offering.

That leaves the class 8, 50 & 60. These were held in high regard when first launched - but that was a few years ago now.

If Hornby are looking to ‘brick up’ their modern diesel range, it would be worth looking at these loco’s sooner rather than later with a view to update & improve. Although I am no expert on this, but perhaps some consideration could be given to additional lighting (engine room & ability to turn of the rear lights when hauling stock) & even a smoke generator to produce some ‘clagg’.

Just some personal thoughts.
I would be interested to see what others think.

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, XChris said:

There’s guys on here at the likes of Cavalex, Realtrack, Revolution and of course Accurascale who really should be commended for putting up with our absolute dribble and impatience and lack of manors sometimes.

Accurascale aren't lacking a Manor........

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

34 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

I think the 08 would be good for somebody else to do. I don't think the Bachmann one would be easy to add lighting to (i.e. they'd have to start from scratch) and the Hornby one I expect would have similar difficulties (AFAIK it doesn't have lighting at the moment).

Given how things have changed since they came out I expect this is the main way these could be improved upon.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Reflecting on Hornby’s ‘top notch’ diesel locomotive range.

They have in their portfolio the class 8, 31, 43 (HST), 50, 56 & 60.

The class 31 & 56 will soon be offered by other manufacturers and although yet to be seen, the specification looks impressive.

The class 43 has recently had a modest upgrade & as an aside with the Oxford Mk3 coaches now under Hornby ownership, these could improve this offering.

That leaves the class 8, 50 & 60. These were held in high regard when first launched - but that was a few years ago now.

If Hornby are looking to ‘brick up’ their modern diesel range, it would be worth looking at these loco’s sooner rather than later with a view to update & improve. Although I am no expert on this, but perhaps some consideration could be given to additional lighting (engine room & ability to turn of the rear lights when hauling stock) & even a smoke generator to produce some ‘clagg’.

I very much doubt Hornby are going to join the retool race on ex-BR diesels. 

I suspect from here on its glamour, glory and generics, rather than detail… if anything i’d have them down for a class 89.. it fits many of their current interests.. ecml, mk4’s, mk3’s, mk1’s, leanings towards LSL, unique types, duplicating competition…

its ticking all their boxes..

I still wonder if Hornby might pop out a new 142, its going to be on the preserved scene for years too after all, and a 155 stepping up from their 153.

The 755 is growing on me and the logic of a shared driving car for a 745, 756 and 231 gives potential to go into BMU, EMU, Trimode etc.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, CB Rail said:

If Hornby are looking to ‘brick up’ their modern diesel range, it would be worth looking at these loco’s sooner rather than later with a view to update & improve. 

It does indeed leave those three classes. Now the 50 tooling is 20 years old nearly? *not sure on actual age but 2002 sounds about right to me* now in 20 years we haven’t seen all the colour schemes and we haven’t seen all variations covered. If that isn’t leaving the door open for a manufacturer who already has tooled up the bogies I don’t know what is?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/04/2022 at 11:45, adb968008 said:

On 13/04/2022 at 11:45, adb968008 said:

WoE isnt a nice branchline route for 30 mph class 230’s.

i’m not sure the tech is there yet for this, but time is running out for the 159’s, and the closest thing I see to a 47/7 is an 800, politically and economically…

I don't think that SWR will be in any great rush to replace the 159's (unless a franchise commitment), or can get a ridiculously cheap lease for a new unit.  The 158's and 159's are all still in use everywhere and still do a pretty damn good job.  They may try a new fuel or something, but beyond that work well.  

When the MML 8xx's come, the 222's would actually be a good unit to cascade.  But that would depend on how the numbers crunch with DFT etc..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, XChris said:

It does indeed leave those three classes. Now the 50 tooling is 20 years old nearly? *not sure on actual age but 2002 sounds about right to me* now in 20 years we haven’t seen all the colour schemes and we haven’t seen all variations covered. If that isn’t leaving the door open for a manufacturer who already has tooled up the bogies I don’t know what is?

The same manufacturer who has put the Class 50 all over the new MK2 B blurb as well… 

I have a few things in order with Hornby this year, castle power-cars and MK3s and an GWR 802. As others have commented on, there seems to be a real lack of passion from the D&E team, even in the heavily edited show this shone through. Hornby are in a lot of danger of losing and have already lost considerable sales from the D&E market, I know we aren’t as large as the steam market, but rakes of wagons and modern locos do add up especially if they were once Hornby models now offered by other brands. 
So what can Hornby do?
More engagement online, they are actually one of the leaders in this aspect except for this forum. Ironically, most of the issues in the past 5 years they have experienced were pointed out on here, livery, tooling problems etc.

Excited for the Retooled power-cars, think we currently have 16 pairs on the layout. Although if someone else did a new HST, my order would be cancelled. Which has happened with 56s,CDAs, 31s recently for me. 
Hope the quality of the models improves and the new 21 pin system pleases those on DCC, if not, Hornby are in real danger of being superseded, if not already on the D&E market. 

Thanks all, interested to hear others thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1