Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

Exeter is a good choice.  I stood in the cab of it as an 11 year old at Newquay station in 1987, so would be on a must get list.  I have the Lima one.  Strange choice of black cab windows though.  It was only in the original NSE for a short while.  Also would expect a crest below the name plate.

The £223 retail price seems too steep for me though.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

. The 0-6-0 sentinel is welcome, as apart from the motor there would be no carry over parts from the smaller one.

The cab, and short bonnet end are as far as I’m aware identical to the small version, as is the long bonnet radiator grille. So just like the prototypes there’s  savings in the tooling costs for choosing those variants.

Edited by PMP
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Also yet again no banger blue 31/4

The last Dutch liveried 31 had ETH when advertised as not, so who knows... 

At least we will now know which retailers are in Tier 1, so in theory we can order anything from them and expect to receive them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m definitely going to increase my intake of lner mk4’s…. 5 different LNER 91’s to pick from now ! (intercity, BBMF, FTF, FS and LNER)… thats some range.

Where is 91119? I don't see it anywhere 

Cheers,

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

Interesting livery variant on the original NSE of 50044. Not seen any pics of it with the wraparound black window surrounds, but I always though that it would look good like that at the time. The only slight problem is that I have become addicted to reprofiling the front on the Hornby 50 and adding the Shawplan screens, so it would affect the lovely paint job, so better for me to buy secondhand to chop about.

My wallet is safe for now.

It's interesting because it's completely fictional!

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I do want to know if they have corrected the faults in the old 110, but I doubt it. Incorrect bogie spacings and a crease down the side? Am disappointed that they didn't used the same underframe design as used with the 153. A single mould with more details rather than the would box with relief on.

The 110 will need a new chassis (the images show the old/previous model) so we need to wait to see what actually gets delivered. But it's good to see this one back, and in the Railroad section which is appropriate. Railroad does include items using older tooling so it's going to be based on what was before.  

1 hour ago, NIK said:

It looks from the photos of the 4 VEP on the Hornby 2022 range web page that the roof ventilators might have been beefed up to a believable size. I'm not sure if the pizza cutter flanges have been reduced but there might be time for Hornby to correct those before production. I've not checked yet if the dampers are swapped round on the bogies.

The tech spec on the VEP says 3 pole motor yet I thought the original Hornby VEP had a 5 pole motor.

However the tech spec for the FLIRT also says 3 pole motor so that could just be an error.

51 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I also wonder if the revised / new / modified tooling for the 4VEP is because it is going to have the headlight in the front door? 

I wouldn't rely on any images used for the announcement - they will all be catalogue artwork not what will be produced. But it's clear that the need to amend the ends was identified as an improvement. I hope the inter-car couplings are made more practical and less delicate too, but it's great to see the VEP back.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Lee1975 said:

Exeter is a good choice.  I stood in the cab of it as an 11 year old at Newquay station in 1987, so would be on a must get list.  I have the Lima one.  Strange choice of black cab windows though.  It was only in the original NSE for a short while.  Also would expect a crest below the name plate.

The £223 retail price seems too steep for me though.

Good choice of loco, but poor execution of the livery (black windows are wrong, no Doncaster white stripe, no crests...).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to being a bit puzzled here.

What is 'Railroad Plus?' It has probably been around a while and I just haven't caught up with the current situation.

And why is there a Class 31 in the 'Railroad Plus' range and also (seemingly) in the main diesel range? Is there something different in terms of the quality of each respective model?

(and why do we 'need' another Class 31 anyway - according to some correspondents -  is the existing one that bad?)

I also have no idea what 'Tier 1' means, but then again, I am probably just behind the times again on that one.

Finally, for what it's worth (not very much, I know), I am pleased to see the Sentinel 0-6-0 and am also tempted by the black 350 hp diesel shunter.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I welcome with open arms the South Central (NOT Southern, the Southern branding was not introduced until the slammers had gone) liveried 4-VEP, we need to know exactly how much has been upgraded and amended from the badly messed up curates egg that was the first VEP releases which had numerous tooling errors and could not pull the skin off a rice pudding. 

The eye watering price is about £150 plus too high if it is merely warmed over old tooling with a new motor in it.  Even if it were new tooling from the wheels upwards it is still way too high.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Whilst I welcome with open arms the South Central (NOT Southern, the Southern branding was not introduced until the slammers had gone) liveried 4-VEP, we need to know exactly how much has been upgraded and amended from the badly messed up curates egg that was the first VEP releases which had numerous tooling errors and could not pull the skin off a rice pudding. 

The eye watering price is about £150 plus too high if it is merely warmed over old tooling with a new motor in it.  Even if it were new tooling from the wheels upwards it is still way too high.

the specifications of the upgrade were discussed in today's live stream by Hornby

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the FLIRT.

OK it's a bit parochial at the moment, but when the planned ban on running diesels into the London termini comes to pass, who knows what other orders might be placed.

I could envisage a third-rail bi-mode version taking over from the 159s on SWR.  On the juice from Waterloo to Basingstoke, then fire up the motor and away to Salisbury and Exeter.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And why is there a Class 31 in the 'Railroad Plus' range and also (seemingly) in the main diesel range? Is there something different in terms of the quality of each respective model?

(and why do we 'need' another Class 31 anyway - according to some correspondents -  is the existing one that bad?)

I also have no idea what 'Tier 1' means, but then again, I am probably just behind the times again on that one.

Finally, for what it's worth (not very much, I know), I am pleased to see the Sentinel 0-6-0 and am also tempted by the black 350 hp diesel shunter.

My interpretation of the illustrations is that a lot of the diesels in 'Railroad plus' are the ex-Lima tooling, so you are getting a 'Lima' version and a 'new Hornby' version of the 31.

Happy to be corrected if my intrepretation is wrong.  Also happy to see the Lima tooling being used.  While they may be less detailed than more modern offerings, they are good basic models in their own right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

What is 'Railroad Plus?' It has probably been around a while and I just haven't caught up with the current situation.

the Hornby railraod plus range is a range of railroad spec locos that have all the painted and printed details of their main spec range. Etched namelates are added where applicable. The cl31 you are referring to is the old lima cl31 with nem couplers, 5-pole motors and 8-pin dcc.

tier 1 refers to tier 1 retailers and mnodels that are tier 1 exclusive are only available to tier 1 retailers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi, 

It looks from the photos of the 4 VEP on the Hornby 2022 range web page that the roof ventilators might have been beefed up to a believable size. I'm not sure if the pizza cutter flanges have been reduced but there might be time for Hornby to correct those before production. I've not checked yet if the dampers are swapped round on the bogies.

The tech spec on the VEP says 3 pole motor yet I thought the original Hornby VEP had a 5 pole motor.

However the tech spec for the FLIRT also says 3 pole motor so that could just be an error.

Regards

Nick

1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

I also wonder if the revised / new / modified tooling for the 4VEP is becasue it is going to have the headlight in the front door? 

Luke

the tooling upgrades were discussed in the live stream

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Tim,

The way I read it "Railroad Plus" is essentially Limby with a better paint job and updated electrics.

From the way the main range version gets slagged off, many will presumably prefer that version of the Class 31...

Agree on the Sentinel, but the new price of the 08 rivals the M7 in its eyebrow-raising ability!

Regards

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
and updated electrics
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Katie87006 said:

the tooling upgrades were discussed in the live stream

But what are they?  Not everyone has time (or the broadband) for tedious online streaming.

Written details are far more useful to to the majority.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

hopefully, if the 755s sell well, we might get a 745 later on down the line

it would be a 12 coach formation though,that could get expensive,let alone could it even run with a single power car... :unknw_mini:

but I dont know, I never thought Id see anyone make any kind of FLIRT full stop, so to have both types of 755s, I might have to go take a lie down, or at least let my bank manager have one first, though Im guessing the Spring 2022 date is stupendously optimistic.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

But what are they?  Not everyone has time (or the broadband) for tedious online streaming.

Written details are far more useful to to the majority.

I've just re-watched it. The only exterior changes SK mentions in particular are the front end and improvements to the inter-car couplings. Interior wise, he mentions an upgrade to a 21-pin socket and a speaker chamber.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4