Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

They were £75 IIRC. But yes cheaper regardless of my confusion! The thing is they were a commission from Drax and we don't know how many freebies were paid for with the retailed models.

Does anyone know which are the Tier 1 retailers to order from? The link posted by @Andy Y at Kernow seems to be dead, so presumably they’ve sold out of their allocation

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MikeJT said:

And that's the point. The tooling of the 50, whilst good for it's time is now dated and lagging behind newer models.

The Bachmann 47, whilst pricy ups is game significantly in refinement and attention to detail.

Yet again Hornby have increased their prices without any attempt to enhance dated models.

Mike

It's not only Hornby, Bachmann's latest 150s for example are are generation behind the new 158 but the pricing isn't - it is costs pressures driving this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, amwells said:

Does anyone know which are the Tier 1 retailers to order from? The link posted by @Andy Y at Kernow seems to be dead, so presumably they’ve sold out of their allocation

They could also have taken the listing down, I sent them an email asking for clarification about if it is a "pack" or single wagon and if it was single could I double my order. Maybe they decided to find out off Hornby?

Also, is it just me or are a lot of retailers being slow at uploading the new range to their website? Normally it is up within a few hours.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, amwells said:

Not sure,
I did pre-order before at Kernow, and mine are showing as allocated.

but Kernows link has gone..

Tbh I can see these drax wagons being one of the hottest items this year, and people need multiples to make a train, so I doubt they will be around long.

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Not sure,

Tbh I can see these drax wagons being one of the hottest items this year, and people need multiples to make a train, so I doubt they will be around long.

I hope not, I think I need another 4!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I wonder if they have done one wagon as a "taster" , ie if it flops then it isn't too bad - and then subsequent batches will appear ? The price point for the size of wagon is on par with everyone else now so they do seem good value for money. Unlike some of the announcements ! :lol:

The price point may be on par, but how does the quality and detail compare to the likes of Accurascale etc? It looks a little basic but I’ve not seen one up close. 

How old is the Drax tooling now? It feels like a couple of years ago but probably much longer! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kernow charge upon ordering but, if they cannot despatch within 28 days, they refund, then charge again on the day of despatch. That will obviously apply to all the items announced for 2022 unless they are in a box in Felixstowe already.

In the past, I've normally had the refund on my credit card statement the same day or the day after.

I've today placed my first 2022 pre-order with them (one of the 0-6-0 Sentinels).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Noted in the Hornby magazine video for the HST;

New light clusters have been tooled, so it's possible we have the full midland and reduced midland (LSL) configurations available now.

Both day and light modes for the headlights plus cab lights 

Rotating roof fans which use their own motor 

21 pin decoder sockets 

Sugar cube speaker housing 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
Forgot about the speaker housing
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, andyman7 said:

There's still time to get the NSE 50 right, hopefully they will take note (its happened in other cases where errors have occurred). Either that or a photo will be produced and D&E modellers can get their very own version of the 'Green Running Plate' saga (Hornby 'Clan' thread) ;)

if it did run that way it escaped most photographers and most of its class mates, as the best I can find is the front window surrounds were sometimes still black, but the cab side window surrounds were very much white, including the cab door window too, plus the white stripe along the roof line.

it just seems odd because Hornby obviously produced one of these in the correct early NSE livery not more than 6 years ago iirc, its still the same mould for the 50 isnt it ? it should have just been a simple renumber/renaming job but they seem to have redesigned the livery for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm looking forward to the Sentinel 0-6-0DH, I hope they have one of the London Transport trio lined up.

More tempting than the Special Ed Black 08 (Why? Why??) given the likely price point, but the announced green one might also work with some new transfers. (Not that they were used much?)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Noted in the Hornby magazine video for the HST;

New light clusters have been tooled, so it's possible we have the full midland and reduced midland (LSL) configurations available now.

Both day and light modes for the headlights plus cab lights 

Rotating roof fans which use their own motor 

21 pin decoder sockets 

Sugar cube speaker housing 

Cheers,

The trouble is, it’s all very well them tooling the different light clusters etc but can they be trusted to actually use the correct ones when they produce the models?! 

It seems beyond them to use the correct roof on a buffet or the right interior for a standard class coach so I wouldn’t hold out much hope! Lol. Didn’t the recent 31/1 use a 31/4 body?!! 

Edited by Global
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, stonojnr said:

if it did run that way it escaped most photographers and most of its class mates, as the best I can find is the front window surrounds were sometimes still black, but the cab side window surrounds were very much white, including the cab door window too, plus the white stripe along the roof line.

it just seems odd because Hornby obviously produced one of these in the correct early NSE livery not more than 6 years ago iirc, its still the same mould for the 50 isnt it ? it should have just been a simple renumber/renaming job but they seem to have redesigned the livery for this.

50026 Indomitable had black front windows..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_50#/media/File:BR_50026.jpg

But Hornby modelled it with white..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/164461/hornby_r3471_class_50_50026_indomitable_in_original_network_southeast_livery/stockdetail

(though admittedly it was white too for some time).

I dont recall any Original NSE 50 with black side windows.

• Like 2

Just now, adb968008 said:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/164461/hornby_r3471_class_50_50026_indomitable_in_original_network_southeast_livery/stockdetail

Totally different black surround style from what Hornby are doing on 50044 though and only had them for the last three years of traffic.

9 minutes ago, Jamescav95 said:

I wish they released multiple running numbers for the Drax. Hornby don't seem to get selling wagons in large packs like Accurascale do. It's a shame they might have the rights to the tooling.

The bigger issue at the moment is finding someone who is selling them!

But yes, I completely agree nonetheless. A better comparison would be to look at the range of liveries and numbers Revolution/Rails are doing, although I aren't complaining as I am just happy and amazed they are doing the ones they are.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

The bigger issue at the moment is finding someone who is selling them!

But yes, I completely agree nonetheless. A better comparison would be to look at the range of liveries and numbers Revolution/Rails are doing, although I aren't complaining as I am just happy and amazed they are doing the ones they are.

Kernow have them up for order. I am convinced it is just one wagon per pack. Just a very weird way of wording it. Theres no way there's two in a pack for £50. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Also had white too 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think that if somebody modelled ECML in Cambridgeshire then they'd be able to justify one. I think they go to Peterborough for example. One thing I had thought about alongside these, given Bachmann aren't very forthcoming with a Northern 158 was to have an alternative stock of further south (which 800s, 801s and 803s would still suit, along with most of my freight stock) which could involve an EMT 158 and a 755 or two. But that won't be happening soon due to the sheer amount of stuff I  have on order already (and want to order from this range).

As I live in Ely and work in Cambridge I frequently travel on these and I think they will make an interesting model given their unusual design. There is enough potential with this model given that they make it across to Peterborough on the ECML and are basically the only type of class at Norwich these days. I was at Norwich station last summer and saw about 6 of them at once. I don’t think there is many variation on liveries of them currently but it looks like they will be around for a while.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SD85 said:

Interesting choice to make the Stadler units but I can't understand the logic behind producing these but not the much more widely available Electrostars or Class 700s, both of which would have far more of a market you'd have thought. Unless this is a test of the water to see how many people will buy DMUs and EMUs.

They look different . I think that’s genuinely it 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not sure,

One shop I use is waiting to see if they are being upgraded to Tier 1 from 2 in the next few days.

Problem is , there may be none left for them to order.......

Given that the recent GBRf 60095 and imminent 60026 are almost exclusively used on them, there would be good sales of the Drax hoppers.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

I see the black cab roof has made an appearance again on the Railroad HST.  Just like it did when the Blue Grey version was first announced a few years ago.  On that occasion  when released it had the correct yellow cab roof.  Hopefully the black roof will change colour when released.

I'm no expert on NSE, but is the black window surround correct on the NSE Class 50.  I've has a quick google search and it looks like it should be white.

Screenshot_20220110-214702_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220110-214720_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Agree 1