Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, blackpete said:

There are so many errors on 50044:- 

Black window surrounds incorrect (should be white)

TOPS Data panel missing

Numbers are too small (should be same size as lowercase lettering in Network)

Crest is missing

Orange cantrail stripe too low

White gutter stripe missing

2 warning flashes between radiators

Blue is too light

An absolute joke for £224

I think the TOPS data panel is there, its just in the wrong place for this livery, it looks like its sitting in the white line...so yes which means its not a white line at all...just above the red stripe near the grills/louvres. Easier to see on the big logo blue version where it sits and then if you transpose it across in the same location you can see it.

So have they just basically taken a render of the big logo blue, with its black window frames as well, and tried to stick some NSE on it as a quick rush job ?  As it just looks weird and such an obvious set of mistakes to have made it cant be the production example surely ? and Id agree the blue looks wrong its almost metallic blue in spots, but I dont know how well NSE translates to 00 as Ive never been tempted to acquire anything with it on

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Lee1975 said:

The white gutter rail stripe on the Doncaster painted ones is higher than ones painted at other depots.  If you look the white stripe it is above the gutter line, squeezing under the Headcode box and above the doors.  The top half of the doors being completely blue.  

On other ones such as 026, the top half of the door is white and the top of the white gutter rail is in line with the top of the doors.

My points were based on comments by various well-informed people on the Fifty Fund's Facebook page. Compare the model to this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwpeakdaleworkscom/5714068311/

• Like 3

14 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

The FLIRT are interesting but I question just how good a move this is - yes its Anglia and modern with an off-shoot to model Wales but this means they don't run alongside much else modern in Anglia and thus don't fit much into layouts already done. Bold choice but just think somehow these will be slow to shift... could that 180 have been better - probably...  

Regarding the FLIRT and Anglian based models, I don't think it would take much for Hornby to produce the GA Mk3 + DVTs. The RCS branded versions were due to be produced as part of the LSL collection last year (admittedly using the old tooling) but they'll have the artwork. The did of course previously produce a Greater Anglia 153 - Perfect for the transition period if you can get your hands on one. They really are as rare as white rocking horse doo now (admittedly I converted mine to become 153305). 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I suspect they're planning an HST style upgrade (21 pin, separate motor powered fans etc) to compete with the Cavalex 56.

shame they didn’t do something similar with the recent DCR/Cappagh and GBRF class60s and give them the 21pin socket etc rather than just rolling out the two sub-sector liveries.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

A bit like the Floyd 56. Strange one to do.

Although the RA PCs are now back in the UK. flickr pic from a couple weeks ago.

They are indeed back in the UK and currently receiving modifications at Eastleigh Works which will see them work with RA's Barrier vans. Just because they haven't been sent out on the mainline yet doesn't mean they're a flop (especially when Arlington are currently repainting and modifying the rest of the batch) not aimed at you Mick!) 

I think, unlike the FlOyd 56, these will be more popular. Both in terms of being a buffered HST, and as Rail Adventure seem quite keen to show their fleet off - even of course going to the expense of taking them to Europe, touring parts of Germany with them before returning them home. 

• Like 3

Well, it's late but here's brief my take on it, starting with that preverbal Elephant in the room. Yes, the range is more expensive than we've seen before, we all know the reasons why and the price is going to be higher than last years ranges. Let's move on. 

FGW "Fag Packet " HST - Thank You Hornby. A much requested model, and the early indications are that this will be a good one. Along with the newly tooled Mk3s to match, you could very well be about to win me back on this. I Just hope the QC Teams are on the ball and able to match the quality of the earlier FGW Fag Packet releases (Please use metallic gold for the band, rather than the leftover Colmans mustard Bachmann used for their 57/6). 

Also - New, and correct, lighting set ups on the MML Power Cars. Good! That opens up the possibility of a few other options in the future too including MML Ocean Blue, and later examples such as EMR's Purple 43272. 

The return, and re-tooling of the 4VEP - Another welcome surprise, I'd sort of expected it to make a return but not in post privatisation liveries, so this is very welcome indeed. I might have to consider a SWT version as it's something I have many happy memories of travelling on throughout my childhood. The SouthCentral / Southern liveried unit is a bit of an odd choice, purely because of the limited application of the livery (i.e 1 Unit), compared to the common as muck Connex version. Perhaps that's one for the future? 

The FLIRT is certainly an impressive choice for the stand out "new" model. Not in my area, but as other's have pointed out, it operates over quite a wide ranging geographical area, and could well both lead to further GA liveried models (MK3s, DVTs, re-run of the 153?). There certainly hasn't been that much of the Anglian region modelled, and those that have beeb produced are also rather difficult to get hold of. 

One model I'm a little bit disappointed about is the Intercity / Wessex / FMRail 31 - I was rather hoping this would come out on the new tooling than the ex Lima one. And I do agree about the odd lack of 31/4 in BR Blue amongst other liveries. 

On the flip side, I am a little bit surprised to see a return of the NXEC / EC HST (previously a Modelzone Ltd) over a slightly more obvious Virgin Trains HST rake - It's certainly been a while since we last saw the VT HST released, and in the 25th year since Virgin Trains was launched, I would have thought would have been a nice one to release. Also, no further liveries on the 153s or no new modern wagons is a little bit of a disappointment. But, it is a range with a bit of everything for (nearly) everyone, and it certainly fills a gap in my HST Fleet. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, scouse889 said:

It always baffles me why the Class 66 stays in the main range rather than moving to Railroad Plus - it would seem much more appropriate for it.

agreed, I have sent Simon Kohler more than 1 email about that in the last couple of months. I also don't understand why the Cl66 got a 21pin dcc upgrade? does a model like that really need it? it doesn't even have lights

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John M Upton said:

But what are they?  Not everyone has time (or the broadband) for tedious online streaming.

Written details are far more useful to to the majority.

sorry, i'm not the type who remembers every little detail from a video that seemed to go one for an eternity (not that it was a bad one). Not everyone has the time to watch the entire video, but it literally takes less than a min to hover over the timeline of the video and seek out the part where the 4-vep was discussed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, russ p said:

31 without waist level banding again! My layout is crying out for some blue and GFYE 31s but without the band they just look wrong and at over 200 quid they can get stuffed. Why one earth can't they do a partial retool . 

Not being funny - but it's always had it , it's just not very prominent 

44C3D549-3A73-42CE-ADB8-E7BBEFFD8B7E.png

• Like 1

Re NSE 50 a lot of Hornby's relivery catalogue shots are actually photo shopped images if you look at LL Blue it has same black windows they probably did it first then amended to NSE but forgot to remove black windows. I wouldn't rely too much on these images for actual finish on models ( I am not saying it will be correct upon release they do have a history with livery issues)

Edited by shunny
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Those were Horrible liveries for a tread braked Mk1 slam door unit!

There is a reason BR generally steered away from White liveries - and the Connex livery showed why with the white becoming a light beige from brake dust and highlighting all the dirt build up around door hinges etc

I agree it was an awful livery... however it was basically everywhere in the SouthEast come the late 90s! Especially as Connex had, overall, the largest fleet of VEPs.

I really like the SC/SN livery on the VEP but there was only ever 1. Seems like that would have been better as a "Limited Edition" run vs a connex VEP 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, NSC said:

I really like the SC/SN livery on the VEP but there was only ever 1.

That was deliberate - Connex had an appalling cooperate image with its users and the new Southern management knew that it would take time to sort things out - and procure the all important new trains. As such they kept the old Connex livery going so that when the new trains arrived there was a clear differentiation between the new franchise and the old. Not sure if the VEP got done by mistake or for some kind of PR exercise at some point early in the franchise but the livery it wore was far better than white come grubby beige Connex one.

Note, we are talking about the original Southern management (not the current  GTR lot for whom its just a sub-brand) who were actually quite well regarded by staff and users. It basically got ruined by the DfT messing round with the franchise and turning into a management contract in the run up to the Thameslink rebuild getting underway.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Not being funny - but it's always had it , it's just not very prominent 

44C3D549-3A73-42CE-ADB8-E7BBEFFD8B7E.png

It looks like it’s tampo printed on my 31/1. I have some styrene strip that will be applied at some point. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

Because there's nothing else except their own Lima retread around.

I'll be looking when the blue one appears to see exactly what they've done and whether they've got the details consistent for the loco. The website says pre-tops ???

The Railroad Fragonset 31 is tempting plus a chance to do some modelling on it.

Stu

A pre TOPS one would be fantastic but without the band the 'face' just looks wrong.  Like a 31 from the infamous Yarmouth wax works!

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It seems a bit strange to me. Kernow are the only dealer I could find that had listed them, and they had a similar description to the one in the pics in the first post. I can't help but wonder if they have been pulled or something? I doubt they'll have only sold them through one place and Kernow is the only place I have seen anyone being able to find them.

I have had word back from Kernow on the Drax wagons. They sold their allocation, apparently they didn't get chance of many themselves.

The thing is, who else actually is selling them? Unless they have all sold out via phone/walk in everywhere else (I haven't seen them for sale with anyone else online).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have had word back from Kernow on the Drax wagons. They sold their allocation, apparently they didn't get chance of many themselves.

The thing is, who else actually is selling them? Unless they have all sold out via phone/walk in everywhere else (I haven't seen them for sale with anyone else online).

Isn't it a shame for modellers that these have sold out so quickly. Expect Hornby are delighted. It must be worth Hornby upping the production run numbers if they can. Could be several years before they are run again going on previous form.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

'Model Railways Direct' have them on their website. They are currently showing as sold out but there is a note on the main page saying they will show this until their allocation is confirmed by Hornby.

Think it is a matter of patience while websites and allocations get updated/confirmed but they did go rather quick at Kernows so suggest you don't hang around when you do see them.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Antics showing the Drax wagons as being available to order (Just done one of each myself);

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Hornby-R60176-Drax-Biomass-Wagon-Pack-1-83-70-0698-012-7---Era-11-OO_N108532654
https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Hornby-R60177-Drax-Biomass-Wagon-Pack-2-83-70-0698-012-7---Era-11-OO_N108532655

Models Railways Direct (As above post) and Cheltenham Model Centre also showing as stocking them but not available to order.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

but they did go rather quick at Kernows so suggest you don't hang around when you do see them.

The annoying thing is I almost ordered another 4 from there on a different order straight after but didn't want to pay postage twice! Given they had 10% off and everywhere else doesn't seem to, I would have been better off just biting the bullet.

I wonder if Hornby have underestimated how many people are interested in these?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi,

Having watched the video including the bit on the 4 VEP I can see that if they correct the driving ends and improve the electrical couplings between the coaches then Hornby will have dealt with the major two items that it is difficult for owners to correct themselves.

I wonder if Hornby will produce a basic 21 pin non sound DCC decoder (less features* than the Sapphire)?.

* I don't want one but I always find it interesting to see how they might differ from Bachmann.

I notice that Lion is getting a Next18 decoder socket so that seems something else new from Hornby.

I wonder if the Hornby steam generator will only work with the modified TTS DCC decoder to be supplied with steam generator fitted locos or will it also be compatible with some other DCC decoders?.

The Flirt multiple unit seems a promising step - the British markets first non express multiple unit with pantograph?.

Regards

Nick

13 hours ago, 47423 said:

Yes, pictures on Flickr of Num 1 and Num 2 cabs with Black frames.

That was on 50026 though and only around and between the cab windows on the front rather than extending around the side as shown on the artwork.

The catalogue showed 50044 though which also seems a strange choice in that livery when it was only in it for around a year before gaining the revised livery

• Like 1

I cant help thinking that Hornby are taking on too much trying to cover everything from pre-school kids to the finest detail for scale modellers to keep everyone happy. Their target market has to be mass market, its a recognisable name to the vast majority of the general population. I applaud them for trying to stay relevant as an introduction to the model railway world for the next generation, and producing items that kids will see on the real railway like FLIRTs, Class 800s and freight 66s, but I cant help questioning whether their models will achieve that aim in the £300-£500 range for units.

If they can produce Class 110 centre coaches at £25 (the difference between the 2 car and 3 car releases, obviously more if motorised) then how have we gotten to £100+ per coach including trailers for modern units and prices continually rising. Presumably the Class 110 tools and development costs are long-since written off which need to be included for new models, but could the costs be spread better over much higher production quantities? How many train sets could get sold from supermarket shelves rather than model shops? I'd suggest none at £300+, but if that could come down to £150 maybe (even reducing to 3 coaches with an available extension pack too)? The IET is perhaps a missed opportunity with the tooling done as its probably the only nationwide 'express' train that would be recognisable to kids everywhere since HSTs. FLIRTs wouldn't have that appeal. 'Design clever' flopped, but was too much of a song and dance made about that and perhaps the wrong subjects? If it had been applied to modern units instead, could it have given a better outcome for Hornby?

I think Hornby should drop the games and underhand tactics in trying to defend their catalogue from competition by bully boy tactics to play to their strengths. I think their long term approach of having a tooling (to defend) that they can churn out a release or two every couple of years for decades for something like a Class 31 is ridiculous. That class has quite a span of operation and liveries and details that perhaps Hornby struggle to reach the production quantities it needs. Perhaps that should be left for top spec to the more agile competition who can get the details spot on and gain pre-orders for smaller production runs co-ordinated into a larger run. The market has changed in buyers will want more options quicker rather than waiting for decades. We still haven't had a Class 31/4 in BR Blue in nearly 20 years of production from the tooling - does that make any sense???

I think Hornby need to focus on their strengths and target market which probably isn't the most detailed end of the market. There cant be many kids pestering their parents for a £200 Hush-Hush

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 10/01/2022 at 09:04, cheesysmith said:

Looking at the 110, and the RRP, Hornby only charge £25 for the centre trailer coach. There would be little difference between a centre and a driving coach from a manufacturing point. 

There's an extra piece of glazing and one more masking operation to paint the yellow ends. Clearly the price of masking has gone up exponentially. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GordonC said:

That was on 50026 though and only around and between the cab windows on the front rather than extending around the side as shown on the artwork.

The catalogue showed 50044 though which also seems a strange choice in that livery when it was only in it for around a year before gaining the revised livery

We were talking about 50026 as that had been mentioned as incorrect too. 50044 has never looked like the artwork.

• Like 1