Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Thats rubbish! Come on Hornby even you can't be as thick as to think lamps were left on between locos and their trains....

If Hornby can go to the trouble of having a plug in lamp for the smokebox door then there is no reason whey the same cannot be done for the tender...

Quite! I'm afraid that Hornby are rapidly building themselves a reputation for half-baked gimmicks.

Either don't bother with gimmicks - my much preferred option - or DO IT PROPERLY!

It would seem that Hornby are convinced that there are masses of potential customers who will buy anything with a new 'feature' - prototypical or not. I do hope not!

CJI.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It would seem that Hornby are convinced that there are masses of potential customers who will buy anything with a new 'feature' - prototypical or not. I do hope not!

Given how popular Sams trains website is and the sort of feedback which get posted in the comments section is I fear there is a large segment of 'don't care about prototypical nonsense' train set types out there who will hoover them up regardless. The only thing which might stop them is the high price....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, phil-b259 said:

Given how popular Sams trains website is and the sort of feedback which get posted in the comments section is I fear there is a large segment of 'don't care about prototypical nonsense' train set types out there who will hoover them up regardless. The only thing which might stop them is the high price....

Sadly, you have confirmed what I feared!

It is my belief that, within a generation, the core of the model railway hobby will look very different from what we see today.

Prototype historical research is, I think, now at a zenith - the market will quite quickly become centred on technical gizmos and 'features'; accurately reproducing the prototype - either historical or current - will become a niche occupation. 🥺

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

I don't think that's necessarily true but the focus on the researched project inevitably moves forward in time. I (and a whole cohort of fellow enthusiasts) am fascinated by the 70s railway and spend a lot of time researching the locos and stock of this period. Hornby, though, caters quite significantly for 'trophy' models - A4s, Coronation, LMS Black 5 in blinged-up colours - these have a market that sits alongside the researched hobby.

There will be a core in a generations time who look to model with accuracy but I suspect that what will be niche will be modelling the 50s and 60s

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not that rapidly - they've been doing it for decades!

s-l1600.webp.d4832c2aa58b29f0933597c9ace1319b.webp

Copied directly from the US of A - as were most / all of their 'action' stock!

CJI.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adi said:

He got a loaner off Athens and Hattons

And when he did he made it very obvious that they were loaned items. He has done it with Hattons Genesis coaches, Rails special editions and others. As someone else says he never scores them and obviously doesn't criticise them. Funny there is a bunch of guys on the Hornby Forum trying to shut him down because he gives Hornby products bad reviews. Interestingly the last couple I have watched have been very favorable to Hornby, so it shows how much they know. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That was a Triang one, made at a time when children could afford to buy wagons with their pocket money.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I have no objection whatever to things like the Tri-ang Giraffe Car or Battlespace series; they are clearly toys, and not presented as anything else.

My problem is when ostensibly prototypical features are applied to otherwise excellent models in ways that detract from the overall portrayal of the locomotive. FWIW, I consider over-bright carriage lighting just as bad.

Hornby get acceptably close to realism (IMHO) with their lit Pullmans, of which I've rarely seen any criticism. Do all their other lighting to similar standards and they'd get no quibble from me. 

Paraffin lamps on real engines and gaslights or 110v bulbs on the ceilings of coaches, are barely noticeable in daylight.

"Night" running is supposed to take place in the dark, or under very subdued lighting, not the glare of fluorescents or LEDs. However, Hornby (in particular) seem to think none of their customers are aware of the availability of dimmer switches for their room and/or layout lighting.  

Please, do it right or at least stop wasting time and effort doing it wrong.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

On the pics shown on here the space between loco and tender looks ludicrously wide. Is the connector adjustable?

Edited by Downer
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Downer said:

On the pics shown on here the space between loco and tender looks ludicrously wide. Is the connector adjustable?

It does look unacceptable top me, however, I thought that this Locomotive had a close coupling mechanism ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

Any pictures of one with the lamps removed/moved?  Has anyone been brave enough yet?

Cheers

Rick

Try Class47Peter channel on YouTube he removed them

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, ColinB said:

And when he did he made it very obvious that they were loaned items. He has done it with Hattons Genesis coaches, Rails special editions and others. As someone else says he never scores them and obviously doesn't criticise them. Funny there is a bunch of guys on the Hornby Forum trying to shut him down because he gives Hornby products bad reviews. Interestingly the last couple I have watched have been very favorable to Hornby, so it shows how much they know. 

A review is only some one opinion 

I have no issues with sam

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Downer said:

Probably not adjustable. What you observe is the principal reason why I would like them discontinued on steam locos. The point of such mechanisms is to provide scale separation on straight track, with a camming action spacing off the two vehicles on curves, in proportion to the required clearance. This 'feature' will be in the bin shortly after my purchase of one of these, replaced by a simple drawbar.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Probably not adjustable. What you observe is the principal reason why I would like them discontinued on steam locos. The point of such mechanisms is to provide scale separation on straight track, with a camming action spacing off the two vehicles on curves, in proportion to the required clearance. This 'feature' will be in the bin shortly after my purchase of one of these, replaced by a simple drawbar.

Works perfectly on the Accurascale Manor, don’t understand why Hornby and Bachmann can’t do the same. Or, better imho retain the 4 pin plug (which I have never had an issue with) and then  use Bachmanns infinitely adjustable sliding tender pin arrangement. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 18/04/2024 at 21:34, Michael Hodgson said:

This might be a viable workaround for sealed doors and windows on railtours.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

You could always put some dirt on the headlamp lenses… its not as if the lamps were spotlessly cleaned was it. That would tone down the brightness.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Very nice review by proper chuffed on You Tube, including installation of HM 7000

BTW, very nice channel to watch ,with nice and good reviews, and good camera work.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Just watched Sams Trains review.

Oh dear!

Considering cancelling the two I have on order.

Having fitted sound, stay alives and firebox flicker to 3 of the 'old' Hornby models, I see little point in the expenditure.

The old design enables a large 55 X 20 X 10mm Rail Exclusive speaker to be fitted in the tender. Not possible with the new design. Lamps are too large, tender to loco gap is too large (and not adjustable), steam is just a gimmick, so out with the Brassmasters detailing kits to finish the ones I already have.

Sam maybe has a point, that it is no good adding gimmicks or supposed upgrades if it comes at the expense of the fundamentals.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

11 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Just watched Sams Trains review.

Oh dear!

Considering cancelling the two I have on order.

Having fitted sound, stay alives and firebox flicker to 3 of the 'old' Hornby models, I see little point in the expenditure.

The old design enables a large 55 X 20 X 10mm Rail Exclusive speaker to be fitted in the tender. Not possible with the new design. Lamps are too large, tender to loco gap is too large (and not adjustable), steam is just a gimmick, so out with the Brassmasters detailing kits to finish the ones I already have.

Sam maybe has a point, that it is no good adding gimmicks or supposed upgrades if it comes at the expense of the fundamentals.

Check other reviews out before cancelling 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

6 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Very nice review by proper chuffed on You Tube, including installation of HM 7000

BTW, very nice channel to watch ,with nice and good reviews, and good camera work.

Yes am happy with my review and. Model 

Yes I know I don't have the camera skills like some channels

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’ve already cancelled my pre order for The Glasgow Highlander before I saw Sam’s video as I’ve decided to wait and see it in the flesh first. Sam’s review doesn’t fill me with confidence but other reviews have been more favourable. I’m also waiting to see what other versions will come out and if any of the preserved locos do as that would fit in better with my collection. 

• Like 5