Doncaster Exhibition 2022

Boycie1946

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hairy Bear Digital said:

Bus from Doncaster Frenchgate is stand B2.

Service 101  and it's free !

Super, was wondering where exactly it left from for tomorrows trip. Assume it's 1 bus going back and forth with no fixed timetable? 

• RMweb Gold

My sense from this morning at Doncaster was that generally people were pleased to have a show to go to.   

All the traders seemed to be busy as I walked round (I hope that they all have a profitable weekend) and the various layouts had a good number of viewers.  There was a small crowd around Tony Wright too.

It was good to go to an exhibition again. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Many folk are a little out of practice for some reason. Be thankful they committed to getting back on the horse.

One of our layouts was due to go to York; we had a full work out back in November and found out which operators/track/stock needed help or attention. While not everybody can have the layout up to practice, one of the ones today had at least one two day exhibition in the Autumn. But then again if two of your volunteer operators have a slanging match in front of the public you can only commiserate with owners.  

Yes really enjoyed it and there seemed to be a really good atmosphere as one of the first major events in recent times. Grantham was as busy and impressive as ever. Most layouts seem to run very well.

Edited by AY Mod
Irrelevant mask comments
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf said:

Super, was wondering where exactly it left from for tomorrows trip. Assume it's 1 bus going back and forth with no fixed timetable? 

I'm sure I saw one going the other way so perhaps two? Put it this way there was one waiting that I got straight on to both times, that sort of thing never happens to be...

Really enjoyable show after almost two years out. Felt heaving at times/certain places but I wouldn't put it as a complaint. Layouts that's came to mind include Grantham, Roxby road(?) and a modern image roundy at the bottom of the escalators to the food (not sure if the names on the last two as they were always so busy). Thank you to the 00 live steam guys also, it was the only interactive stand we found and my son loved it (may have been others that we missed or the guys were having a breather etc). Seemed a lot of trade, personal result was a Dapol class 68004 at £120 from Pennine models. Been waiting ages to find one that wasn't at an inflated price from other sites/stalls and cheaper than some of the other pre owned on sale today. Several options left, would recommend as they had some other decent offerings at good prices.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Bomag said:

I think that some of the layout operators could have done with some practice. A couple of previously good ones were a shambles - on one eight operators managed two up trains and no down trains in 10 mins.

However, very few people were moaning - for many of us it's primarily a shopping trip.   

I liked the sign on Sheepcroft “It’s been over two years and we may not remember what we need to do” or words to that effect.  They were better than that.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomathee said:

and a modern image roundy at the bottom of the escalators to the food (not sure if the names on the last two as they were always so busy).

Alderford, in it's new roundy roundy guise.

Quite an interesting change, certainly remains popular with the exhibition crowds and deservedly so.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ralf said:

Two, every 15 mins on the quarter hour from the show, I assume the same from the bus station.

I walked out (a rather inefficient way, but that was my ineptitude!) as I had assumed it was every 30mins and I got out of the station at 1202.

A suggestion for next time: could the travel stuff say it’s every 15mins as well as giving start and finish times.

N.B.  Not a complaint and the walk was good for me!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I liked the sign on Sheepcroft “It’s been over two years and we may not remember what we need to do” or words to that effect.  They were better than that.

Paul.

And the link couplings are still a PITA for the operators, but it's a fun layout to watch and the oprators are friendly enough too.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I went today, arriving at 2 after a 2h45 drive.

It was still heaving but calmed down after 3. Didn't matter much just nice to be at a show again. 

On the question of masks: lots of people, most I thought (including me), were wearing them which was good I thought particularly as there was no chance of social distancing. No chance at all. A personal choice, but a good one.

I noticed in The Guardian last Thursday that excess deaths are fewer now than they were pre-lockdown so we shouldn't be too condemnatory of those who draw different conclusions and I'm starting to come out of my hermitage at long last,  I might get my hair cut next week. 

I enjoyed it,  thanks 

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I liked the sign on Sheepcroft “It’s been over two years and we may not remember what we need to do” or words to that effect.  

I think that's a general problem for layouts which are too big to set up at home - like mine. Thankfully, our next show is Glasgow and we plan to arrive about noon on the Thursday and after setting up (2/3 hours) we can get some very useful practice in before the public arrive on the Friday.

• Like 1

Up on Croft Spa we started off with three issues-

Two cabs with the same number combined with a curly cab lead meant having to use the spare Powercab that still defaults to flat out rather than stop if we get a short.  The reason for the problems only finally occured to me while I was queueing for lunch away from the layout.

One or two locos that didn't want to play despite having been extensively tested.  The A1 was blocked Northbound on Friday meaning we arrived much later than planned and hadn't got chance to give each train a couple of laps on Friday to sort this out.

Two new "learner" operators who took a long time to get their heads round the layout.  

These combined to make a first couple of hours where I was trying to sort out crises in pairs.  By mid-day things had settled down and the layout is performing well.  

Day 2 - just about to set off and knackered already.....

Les

Hopefully I might get time to take some pics today.

• Friendly/supportive 3