Doncaster Exhibition 2022

Boycie1946

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all those who made the show such a success. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although after lockdowns AND living in a remote place, I found the heaving throng to be overwhelming at times.

I found out that Hell Hath No Fury like a determined Bargain Hunter. 

I have to be fit for a big job next week so it was an FFP3 mask for me - nobody judged me for wearing it and I extend that courtesy to others (other than those using their rucksacks to barge people away from the traders!) ;) 

Next time I’ll hop on the bus and go into town from 12-3 I think. 

And a message of caution for anyone tempted by free tickets through joining RMWeb Gold. Yes, the tickets are indeed free (thanks guys). BUT my ‘free’ ticket ended up costing me over £300 in hotel, meals, and a ton of irresistible bargains! D’OH! :lol_mini:

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A little strange yesterday to be in such a big crowd, although I have done a couple of smaller shows over the winter. It seemed a bit uncomfortable at first but less crowded in the afternoon.

Sleeting and 30mph crosswind on Woodhead added to the fun but the M18 closure didn't happen so dropped off at Lakeside on the way over and walked back to the bridge at Potteric Carr for 6233 on the special.

Good to see a few old faces and meet @Clive Mortimoreto see his DMU cut'n'shut stuff close up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Andrew D said:

And a message of caution for anyone tempted by free tickets through joining RMWeb Gold. Yes, the tickets are indeed free (thanks guys). BUT my ‘free’ ticket ended up costing me over £300 in hotel, meals, and a ton of irresistible bargains! D’OH!

Fortunately I live within travelling distance so can have breakfast at home and get back for evening meal even if I chose to go by public transport.

That didn't stop me from going over budget on kits, parts and materials even though I didn't buy any locos. Still, the saving in postage costs was more than the cost of fuel.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Alderford, in it's new roundy roundy guise.

Quite an interesting change, certainly remains popular with the exhibition crowds and deservedly so.

I love Alderford its a brilliant layout, did see someone's video yesterday which they kindly posted and wondered why there was so much freight but it didn't show the whole layout so didn't know it was roundy roundy- what have they done are all the platforms through platforms now or something? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

I love Alderford its a brilliant layout, did see someone's video yesterday which they kindly posted and wondered why there was so much freight but it didn't show the whole layout so didn't know it was roundy roundy- what have they done are all the platforms through platforms now or something? 

Yep, 4 through lines, there is a new station building developing over the tracks, but the overall rooves remain as do the actual track formations.

From an exhibition perspective, because the operators are now in a well with the fiddleyard behind them the layout is probably half the length it was (inc fiddleyard) so it is probably easier to exhibit.  Also it refreshes the whole concept, so it's a layout that can remain on the circuit a few mor years now.  Was surprised there wasn't an APT on it!

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, PMP said:

Some EP’s on the Rails stand.

Sonic, Accurascale, Cavalex and Planet Industrials.

I thought it was a good show, well attended, and a good mix of layouts and traders.

The A5s look impressive.

Plse what are the open wagons - was that a Mathieson branded box?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Plse what are the open wagons - was that a Mathieson branded box?

The Mathieson is an open 8 plank wagon. I only took one photo (edit: looks like there's listing for a 7 plank version on Rails site)

My first visit to Doncaster. Easy enough to get to from Leicester. There was quite the queue at 9:15! Came away having purchased a few more Farish coaches I'm sure I don't need.

Highlight was getting to see Blueball Summit, Little Salkeld and Sandy Bay.

IMG_4792.JPG

Edited by maq1988

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Yep, 4 through lines, there is a new station building developing over the tracks, but the overall rooves remain as do the actual track formations.

From an exhibition perspective, because the operators are now in a well with the fiddleyard behind them the layout is probably half the length it was (inc fiddleyard) so it is probably easier to exhibit.  Also it refreshes the whole concept, so it's a layout that can remain on the circuit a few mor years now.  Was surprised there wasn't an APT on it!

I liked it a lot. Although a terminus might be more interesting for private operations at home, through services make for more action for the general public and much more scope for freight. I also like the fact they have a good balance of DMUs. I am never convinced by modern layouts that have a constant procession of freight and loco hauled passenger trains and few DMUs or EMUs.

I think it's supposed to be set around 1987-1989 so maybe a bit late for the APT?

I think that the venues lighting is poor when compared to many other venues.  There were a few layouts and traders who were located in dark patches.

This is beyond the organizers control but I can imagine that the traders would be unhappy. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Probably, but I think given the lack of WCML exhibitors they could be forgiven for a little indulgent crowd pleasing.

It was a great exhibit, and in my favourite period. There was a 304 (Bouncy Castle) which made an appearance every now and again, too. I did think the Grantham layout needed some knitting on it though! ;D

• Like 1

Home by 5 to 6.  Croft Spa into shed and locked away by 6.10. 

Knackered!  Never got any pics taken.

Had long chats with KR Models, Jenny Kirk, Malcolm and Brett of Malc's Models and Barry O amongst others.  Useful advice gained from Jeremy of Digitrains, and the inevitable trading of insults with the N-gauge Society stand opposite....

Purchases?   A basic Hornby 0-4-0 for a layout at a local theme park we're helping them with, a new curly cab lead and a gardener and pillar boxes for the club layout.  Quite frugal, really....

Two pics Tony managed to get.  

1051280929_tonysj39pic.jpg.c04e4f8d15ad80a25ea2b496414cc21e.jpg

J39 passing in front of the new platform facing.  The j39 was a second-day substitute to release the "reliable spare" class 24. The train had started off the show behind the Tyne Dock O1 class but that decided not to play shortly after lunch on Saturday.

163977770_groundsignals.jpg.5dfadb99c7e252002532b9aff49b768d.jpg

Between trains showing the ground signals in their locating pots, if not exactly square.  Never photographed at home as they are delicate and only get planted at shows after the track has been cleaned. 

Chill day tomorrow- I'll be too tired and stiff to do more.

Les

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well that blew some cobwebs away! Really enjoyed myself today, and there was a perceptible good atmosphere amongst many of the exhibitors and traders too. I think everyone was just generally happy to be back out in the world of railway modelling.

It's the first time I've seen Grantham in the flesh and it blew me away. The attention to period detail was excellent to see; from the buildings, to the locos, stock, street scenes, and even the signalling! A3s, A4s and P2s hurtling around the layout with 10 teaks hooked up behind made for a tremendous sight.

I also enjoyed Whithorn - 1950/60s transition in the SC region of BR, and also Woodcroft - Edwardian GNR and one of the layouts near-destroyed by the mindless youths at the Market Deeping exo a few years back. I talked with some of the Woodcroft demonstrators from the Market Deeping MRC and I couldn't believe some of the things I was told about the idiots that trashed the layout. I also thought the snow effects on Falcon Road were very impressive. 

I picked up some of my shopping list from the good trade support, though it was disappointing not to find Wizard Models/Comet there, as I've a number of things I need from them. A web order will have to go in. Hornby were noticeable by their absence; I am very sure they usually attend the Donny show? Hmm. 

The Brucey Bonus of my day was however the procurement of two kit built Slaters GWR toplight coaches from one of the traders. I've been after some of these for a long, long while and these are finished to a very good standard and I was very happy with the price. Apparently I was the only person to spot these all weekend; the benefits of being a GWR modeller in LNER territory!

With the York show now kiboshed (which was news to me until told today), this must be the northern show of the year?

Cheers.

CoY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I picked up some of my shopping list from the good trade support, though it was disappointing not to find Wizard Models/Comet there, as I've a number of things I need from them. A web order will have to go in. Hornby were noticeable by their absence; I am very sure they usually attend the Donny show? Hmm. 

Wizard/MSE/Comet - Andrew said, a couple of years ago, that he was withdrawing from attending shows, IIRC.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A big thank you to all involved a great show and venue was good. Lunch had upstairs and good value given size of portion - filled Yorkhire.   Great layouts with the show having a good range Blueball summit  was worth a watch even with no trains - well observed sharp modelling and brilliantly presented models when long trains gently trundled past - modelling at its best.  I am sure there were others but as an N modeller it was refreshingly well done. As a 3mm modeller It was very good to see two layouts showcasing the scale - 5 or 6 deep on Saturday around Masbury Tor I was told and today quite busy.  

Traders I spoke too seemed more than happy, The general view was as an early post lockdown show a lot of restocking of widgets and tuits ( round and square) was taking place. Perhaps Donny gained due to news of York, another year will tell I guess.  

Needless to say late to the show as NR failed the brewery tour test at Birmingham New St with an overun but busy when arriving just before noon, but after 14.30 able to move very easily. XC service home was a double set and well loaded and of course on time !   Phil`s advice above about B2 for shuttle was very good as went directly and a long suffering driver nodded me on and on our way in a few minutes, very smooth transfer, as was lift back to station.

Robert      

• Like 1

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I picked up some of my shopping list from the good trade support, though it was disappointing not to find Wizard Models/Comet there, as I've a number of things I need from them. A web order will have to go in. Hornby were noticeable by their absence; I am very sure they usually attend the Donny show? Hmm

Wizard dropped out of all shows a couple of years ago and Hornby aren't leaving Margate at the moment. 

1 hour ago, AMJ said:

I think that the venues lighting is poor when compared to many other venues.  There were a few layouts and traders who were located in dark patches.

This is beyond the organizers control but I can imagine that the traders would be unhappy. 

If the traders are unhappy, they could bring their own lights. Many do because in any hall, adding light to your stand makes it look better. It's the same with layouts, a lighting rig might seem to be a job you don't need, but it always makes your modelling look better. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Wow! What a show!  I thing Maggie and I managed about 20 mins away from the layout all weekend, just enough time to buy some bits and pieces, get drinks and food, and have a look at other layouts on the way past. The response from the public was brilliant, numerous people recognised all the key elements on the layout borrowed from their real locations. Sandy Bay worked well all weekend. We got a lot of praise for how cold, dark and menacing the North Sea looked. All the locos and stock behaved, and I now need to have a massive wheel cleaning session. I think we may have quite a few invites to future shows based on the number of fliers we gave out. A big Thanks to the BRM team for a successful show. We hope to see you all again soon.  Kev and Maggie.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

We enjoyed the show yesterday although the balance of traders to layouts seemed a bit skewed.....to be fair achieving a show at all was a huge achievement so well done.

However, whoever decided that parking on grass was a good idea in February should be made to do parking duty next year - it was a catastrophic mistake. We left at 1pm and only just managed to get the car out, I dread to think what it must have been like later in the afternoon. 

Peter

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, kes said:

Wow! What a show!  I thing Maggie and I managed about 20 mins away from the layout all weekend, just enough time to buy some bits and pieces, get drinks and food, and have a look at other layouts on the way past. The response from the public was brilliant, numerous people recognised all the key elements on the layout borrowed from their real locations. Sandy Bay worked well all weekend. We got a lot of praise for how cold, dark and menacing the North Sea looked. All the locos and stock behaved, and I now need to have a massive wheel cleaning session. I think we may have quite a few invites to future shows based on the number of fliers we gave out. A big Thanks to the BRM team for a successful show. We hope to see you all again soon.  Kev and Maggie.

yes a lovely layout, from end to end the same quality and attention to detail. Look forward to seeing it again 

• Agree 1