SECR 10t Covered Goods Wagon & 2 Plank Ballast Wagon

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium

After seeing other folks vans on this thread and having preciously decided I couldn't/didn't want/need/justify one of them, my finger strayed to an 'add to basket' button. Very pleased I am too and looking forward to the other goodies.

I don't recall seeing mention anywhere that the roof unclips. A small thing but when weathering it will make spraying an awful lot easier. No fiddly masking to do. Very much hoping future vehicles will be like this.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

After seeing other folks vans on this thread and having preciously decided I couldn't/didn't want/need/justify one of them, my finger strayed to an 'add to basket' button. Very pleased I am too and looking forward to the other goodies.

I don't recall seeing mention anywhere that the roof unclips. A small thing but when weathering it will make spraying an awful lot easier. No fiddly masking to do. Very much hoping future vehicles will be like this.

The roof pulls off with no trauma whatever. There are no clips, just ridges underneath that are a lovely snug fit into the body. A roof repaint will be my next job.

I've just finished replacing the NEM coupler mounts with #146 Kadees (also easy) and swapped the wheels for my usual Gibsons. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

Two parcels arrived from Kernow this week. One with Bachmann goodies and the other with Rapido. So what can I say? We can now do a relatively authentic late SECR freight train using RTR.

Here we go:

All 7 (3 Rapido vans, 3 Rapido 2 planks and a the Dance hall... Don't worry Rapido, my order for 7 of your brake vans is still honoured).

SECR01.jpg.fb4d702c5e8517709dd24c00bf3dfa8f.jpg

The new Rapido additions:

SECR03.jpg.78bdfaa6479ad3a49478976f26838e55.jpg

Now all in a train with 6 rapido 5/7 planks previously released, 2 Cumbrian kits, and one rails 1424 van... (oh and a grey Bachmann C class);

SECR13.jpg.e00e810549654145f59603929b6a63ed.jpgSECR12.jpg.90157a6371598576aa4ade139f160f7b.jpgSECR10.jpg.2467f24c97164fda0642e37ad7553dd4.jpg

SECR08.jpg.5f46c29dfdcbdb40ea59d2dc9a9a4fe6.jpg

Some comparison in roof colours:

Two of the rapido vans show dark grey, the preserved sample white, the rails 1424 white and Bachmann cream (with black under frame ??).

SECR09.jpg.284671120c635a50d15dffcf59fff25d.jpg

The preserved van was done earlier in the year using an SR (later evolution) Dapol wagon:

As expected Clearly Rapido beat it everywhere...

SECR14.jpg.970c9acae779f912f8f89c669e5016d9.jpg

Just some more pictures...

SECR10.jpg.2467f24c97164fda0642e37ad7553dd4.jpg

SECR11.jpg.a98d6c5995f5526cdcba87357243a5a2.jpg

Oh and I did get one of each of the BR ones:

SECR04.jpg.0985c20f0381e4401d28462b587e009e.jpg

SECR15.jpg.26717603d4e1cf9c42f0d5bfd2c9201a.jpg

More opens please...... Well done Rapido!

SECR07.jpg

• Like 10

On 06/11/2022 at 11:38, Graham_Muz said:

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the very kind words in your review! I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm surprised by the comment about the shortened NEM362 coupling pocket - we designed this at the standard length of 7.1mm and having measured one here it's (admittedly) underlength, but by only 0.15mm on the flat, and the pocket end curves out at the sides making it a fraction longer.

I'd be curious to know if you've somehow received a model that doesn't match our tolerances, as it would be useful feedback to the factory!

Many thanks again,

Linny
(CAD Engineer, Rapido Trains UK)

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Skinnylinny said:

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the very kind words in your review! I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm surprised by the comment about the shortened NEM362 coupling pocket - we designed this at the standard length of 7.1mm and having measured one here it's (admittedly) underlength, but by only 0.2mm on the flat, and the pocket end curves out at the sides making it a fraction longer.

I'd be curious to know if you've somehow received a model that doesn't match our tolerances, as it would be useful feedback to the factory!

Many thanks again,

Linny
(CAD Engineer, Rapido Trains UK)

Doh, sorry that bit should not have been included in the final version, I have updated it now.

Cracking job Linny on these,  I have taken all the wheels out and P4ed them i have added some additional weight and covered it with a load and I am hoping with this that I won't need to compensate them.  I have also given them a good weathering and in my view they look even better.... 

Looking forward to the Brake vans now... 

Edited by MartinM
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I picked up a 2-plank ballast wagon from Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh today. Very, very impressed with it indeed. Just a slight trimming of the brake shoes and I was able to pop a set of P4 wheels in it and hey presto, another P4 wagon available (although I will fit 3-links in due course).

The only thing I would question, though, is the clear plastic wrapping all round an already perfectly serviceable box?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Having had a closer look at the 2-plank ballast wagon, I converted it to P4 and found it a very easy conversion, just like the SE&CR open wagon.

Full marks and many thanks to Rapido for catering for the EM and P4 modeller!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, MartinM said:

I just wondered if there will be another run with different numbers at all? SC&CR stock seems very popular at the moment which is excellent news!

Hard to say, obviously we'd love to make more but second runs always depend upon the success of the first and we don't want people to hold off buying the first run if they are waiting for the second 😄

So once the team get a chance to take a breather in the Spring we can look at the sales figures and make some estimations.

• Like 5