Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

That would be smashing! I’ll step a little out of my era for that!

I have a set of purple SMD LEDs that are being worked into a Hornby Network Rail 31. That project would get paused were an Accurascale equivalent announced. 

Roy

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 23/04/2022 at 17:36, MidlandRed said:

In defence of my post, it’s not a different livery (the model of 5544 in BR blue/FYE achieves that in mid 60s format and layout of numbers and symbol). 

However for those of us modelling pre TOPS transition to BR blue, the loss of the D indicates late 68 at least - in the same way that TOPS paraphernalia on wagons and locos is anachronistic for us. 

Therefore the only option, if a D5xxx in blue/FYE is not produced, is to purchase 5544 and renumber it. 

Im more than happy, however to wait for this. I don’t recall any, amongst the other requests in this thread, having requested this early era (1966-mid 68) variant of BR blue. I’m pretty confident I’m not unique (or anything like), having significant interest in the 1966-68 era. 

If it is of any help Midland Red, D5544 was originally outshopped in the livery depicted by Accurascale with a D prefix and  it looks to me that the livery they intend to produce is that of 5544 with the D painted out. If that is the case then if they space the running number as per prototype then it may be possible to you to add the D prefix thus bringing the model into you period of interest. I've attached an image I took at Stratford in the good old days. Quite a few of the first blue class 31 repaints had the D number eventually painted out before receiving the revised blue layout with running numbers on the cab sides.

D5544 Stratford April 69 Slide 435.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2022 at 15:54, Eddie the dog said:

Any plans to produce in BR RTC Grey & Red ?

Crewe, death row…

31428 “The North Yorkshire Moors Railway”, not to be confused with 31439 “North Yorkshire Moors Railway”.

A similarly unhealthy RTC 31970 behind it… both withdrawn 1991.

Interestingly 47541 was in this line up, with 08841 and class ‘48’ 47116

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Well I ordered one of the original 31’s as soon as announced as I like to collect early models of Diesels (and run them of course) but since ordering a rake of six BR Blue suburbans the green 31 just ain’t gonna look right, so another 31 this time in BR Blue is on the list…….I’ve no idea if it’s the correct timeline or region but I don’t care, it’ll look nice, stop judging me 🤣

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Well I ordered one of the original 31’s as soon as announced as I like to collect early models of Diesels (and run them of course) but since ordering a rake of six BR Blue suburbans the green 31 just ain’t gonna look right, so another 31 this time in BR Blue is on the list…….I’ve no idea if it’s the correct timeline or region but I don’t care, it’ll look nice, stop judging me 🤣

It's your train set...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

It's your train set...

We are all different,some collect and never run,some run them as they are some muck them up and recreate as they lived,there aint no rules,its your railway so do as you want.

There is no right or wrong,just what makes one happy.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

We are all different,some collect and never run,some run them as they are some muck them up and recreate as they lived,there aint no rules,its your railway so do as you want.

There is no right or wrong,just what makes one happy.

Accurascale have been making me very happy lately….don’t tell them though 😁

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

On 03/06/2022 at 21:32, BrushVeteran said:

If it is of any help Midland Red, D5544 was originally outshopped in the livery depicted by Accurascale with a D prefix and  it looks to me that the livery they intend to produce is that of 5544 with the D painted out. If that is the case then if they space the running number as per prototype then it may be possible to you to add the D prefix thus bringing the model into you period of interest. I've attached an image I took at Stratford in the good old days. Quite a few of the first blue class 31 repaints had the D number eventually painted out before receiving the revised blue layout with running numbers on the cab sides.

D5544 Stratford April 69 Slide 435.jpg

Thanks for this @BrushVeteran - having had another look at the Accurascale image I have of 5544, there’s clearly space for a D. However I’m hopeful they’ll do some more versions in due course also. Nice photo btw. 

On 14/06/2022 at 02:47, 'CHARD said:

Thankfully, I have just had my order confirmed for all 263 Brush Type 2s.  

So that is the next 12 years taken care of.  What is next 'Chard ? 🤨 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, reddragon said:

I really want a class 31, but they are all north east  / eastern machines and I model WR. I would bend for ones in experimental liveries of light blue or golden ochre

Both of mine will be picking up milk tankers from my local Cornish dairy on my layout, then again there will also be a Deltic standing at the platform waiting for the all clear to St Ives 🤣

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Both of mine will be picking up milk tankers from my local Cornish dairy on my layout, then again there will also be a Deltic standing at the platform waiting for the all clear to St Ives 🤣

I too am suffering from that condition .

My Hydraulics are not going to be too  pleased at having to bunch together closer on shed to accommodate the

'beast from the east' 😁

Edited by Albie the plumber
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve looked on the website, tried wading through all the comments regarding which of the Class 31’s are being produced with the trip cock fitted.  All it’s done is given me a headache, which is not good for someone who’s not long been released from hospital after a TIA.

I would be grateful if someone would kindly point out which one’s are being done. (Please, please, please be 31409 😝)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve looked on the website, tried wading through all the comments regarding which of the Class 31’s are being produced with the trip cock fitted.  All it’s done is given me a headache, which is not good for someone who’s not long been released from hospital after a TIA.

I would be grateful if someone would kindly point out which one’s are being done. (Please, please, please be 31409 😝)

Not 409: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/accurascale-travel-to-the-heart-of-london-with-latest-trip-cock-brush-type-twos

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Unfortuntely I've come to the conclusion that the trip cock fitted 31/4 in Standard Blue isn't suitable for the period and geography I need it for, so I'll have to wait for another batch, not unlike how I'm having to wait for the original condition 37/4s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hi Roy, 

I've found a picture of 31402 at Kings Cross in 1979 with domino head code's and another 1975 with alpha numeric, so wondering when that changed over?  There's also a picture on Flickr of 31248 with a nice shot of the tablet catcher, at Farringdon in 1975.  Could I be tempted of 31248, 31402 and 31409?  My heart is saying 'you know you want to' but my head's saying 'don't you dare' 🤔😎

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2022 at 15:07, reddragon said:

I really want a class 31, but they are all north east  / eastern machines and I model WR. I would bend for ones in experimental liveries of light blue or golden ochre

I wouldn’t worry too much about that - ER allocated 31s were daily visitors to Bristol at least in the 1970s.

Neil

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm about to pre-order 31248 to go with my Mk1 subs, and I want to change the head code's to 0O00 or as it was in late 1976, domino, but can someone tell me when it had it's roof water hatch and steps plated over?  The tablet catcher in the cab door seems to have lasted until at least 1980.

9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Lol, give them a chance, we haven’t actually got very far with the first batch yet….

Roy

That's good as I've got to save up. I'm trying not to miss the first batch but I'm hoping there'll be a second if I do. Especially given the silly money Deltics are fetching on Ebay (one sold for £575!) Then there's the matter of the mk2 coaches. I'd like to see a second batch of those too as I can't save up for both simultaneously.  Especially with the lack of Bachmann TSOs in blue and grey. There's one going for £100 on Ebay so no way.😵

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1

For some reason, Accurascale seem not quite to have got their ducks in a row as far as transition-era Eastern modellers are concerned.

The first release of the 57ft Suburbans will only allow the assembly of a transition-era ER Inner Suburban set in Carmine livery. However, the first release of the Brush Type 2, trip-cock fitted, such as could work these services, includes Green livery only with SYF, by which time Carmine would be becoming a rarity, with most coaches in Maroon by then. 

I'd hate to be stymied by inflation while waiting for subsequent production runs to solve tis conundrum!

The Nim.

• Like 3