Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

2 hours ago, Accurascale said:

Shedding Some Light On The Network Rail Class 31s, Our Latest Accurascale Exclusive Pair!

We are very happy to reveal a pair of very special Class 31s in our Accurascale Exclusives range, Nos. 31105 and 31285 in Network Rail yellow. Like many past models in this series, such as ‘Deltic’ No. 9016 Gordon Highlander in Porterbrook purple and Class 97/3 No. 97301, these additional releases showcase a considerable amount of unique tooling to accurately depict these locomotives in 4mm scale.

The acquisition of the venerable Brush Type 2s by Network Rail, which eventually totalled five locomotives, was something of a formalisation of the previous arrangement between its predecessor Railtrack and Fragonset to provide motive power for infrastructure monitoring trains. This deal had even seen one member of the class, No. 31190, repainted in Railtrack’s blue and green house colours before the company was forced into administration.

acc-31285-gbayer.jpg.2d14a81ff1a644fcbbb855156a77698e.jpg

No. 31285 was the first Class 31 to be outshopped in NR yellow, being released from Fragonset’s workshops at the former RTC site in Derby in October 2003. While the livery was striking enough, even more dramatic was the addition of five large spotlight brackets (two on the lower cab front and three on the cab roof) and a forward facing camera in the plated nose door at the No.2 end.

class_31_web_31285.jpg.0123650e5b210f429cab339696c950cc.jpg

The ultra violet spotlights – of various designs over time – gave it the nickname ‘scooter’ and were deployed when running with the Structure Gauging Train and were also fitted to Nos. 31233 and 31602 (cab roof only). Meanwhile, the No.1 end also featured various sockets for connecting to the test coaches.

0f29038a-49ee-435f-8b81-1629b59d7749_1_105_c.jpeg.378d688a450e33f6aabcd796c65d4512.jpeg

At the start of 2008, No. 31285 debuted new larger LED tail lights and, at the same time, lost its original windscreen washer jets and baffles in favour of new wiper-mounted versions. After 12 years of service with NR and some 54 years after being delivered to Tinsley as D5817 in October 1961, it was retired and sold to Harry Needle in August 2015. It has been based at the Weardale Railway ever since, still with full light package, and is operational.

acc-31105-gbayer.jpg.cb4592c9223f0a8bb95c884754ed70c7.jpg

No. 31105 was the third of Network Rail’s Class 31s to return to traffic and the only former disc headcode-fitted locomotive in the fleet, although it could often be found partnered with Howard Johnston’s hired in Fragonset, later BR blue-liveried, ‘skinhead’ No. 31106 on test trains. The former D5523, new to Stratford in March 1959 and withdrawn from Bescot in May 1997, was selected in 2002 for rebirth in NR’s QADD pool along with No. 31107.

class_31_web_31105.jpg.4c67bde33abc62759a71e4d44b0656fb.jpg

While the latter fell by the wayside, No. 31105 was released from Derby in yellow in August 2004, externally almost unchanged from its previous condition, even retaining the extra lamp iron on its plated nose doors. However, by the second half of 2005, Derby had taken the opportunity to remove the cab roof vent cover from the No.1 end cab roof to match the No.2 end that had been rebuilt in early 1984. While in late 2007, the front ends were further modified with same LED tail lights and the washer jet modifications described above with No. 31285.

All good things come to an end though and No. 31105 was withdrawn for the second time in February 2015, leaving just No. 31233 still active for NR. Still in working order, it was occasionally used as a shunter at the RTC site before being sold into preservation at the Mangapps Railway in Essex in October 2018.

Accurascale’s extensive Class 31 tooling suite has been designed to cover Nos. 31105 and 31285 and Network Rail’s other trio of Brush machines, Nos. 31233, 31465 and 31602. As well as the modified cab roofs, fully functioning spotlights and No. 31105’s additional lamp irons, other never before produced tooling on our initial NR pairing correctly dates these locomotives to the period from 2008 onwards with LED tail lights / washer jet modifications.

Of course, the lights should be more purple in hue and they will be on the finished production models. The brightness will also be dulled down on the production models too. 

This latest pair of 'Peds' are now available to pre-order direct via the Accurascale website only in both DC/DCC Ready and DCC sound fitted formats. We are due decoration samples towards the end of this year and delivery will take place in Q3 2024. As will all Accurascale Exclusives, both locomotives will be complete with special presentation packaging. 

Pre-order with no money down by clicking the link: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/brush-type-2-class-30-31

Marvelous had a feeling these were on radar and now ordered, well 31105. 🙂

Edited by Chilly
Wishful thinking and hoping for 2 more Class 50 exclusives

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @WCML100,

To make them fully functional and robust we had to make them slightly overscale, so the finished model lamps will be this size.

Cheers!

Fran

They really have turned that into a bug-eyed monster!  Not for me I'm afraid. 

No doubt it accurately reflects the prototype, but it seems a bit odd that they only fitted these lights to one end, so the engine might need to be turned depending on where it's required.  I would have thought the cost of sending it away for turning a couple of times would soon outweigh the capital cost of a few spotlamps - a false economy?

25 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

I'm just going for 31105 as I don't like the size of those lights on 31285. Hope 285 does well though 

Same here. The compromise on the spot lights on 31285 is understandable but personally I'd have preferred non functioning versions at the correct scale.

Another great announcement from Accurascale nonetheless.

• Agree 5

49 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

No doubt it accurately reflects the prototype, but it seems a bit odd that they only fitted these lights to one end, so the engine might need to be turned depending on where it's required.  I would have thought the cost of sending it away for turning a couple of times would soon outweigh the capital cost of a few spotlamps - a false economy?

The N/R 31s were used in top n tail mode or more often with an ex DBSO driving trailer on the other end of the test train or structure gauging train to allow for changes of direction.

IMG_7491.png

IMG_7492.png

IMG_7493.png

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Add photos
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @WCML100,

To make them fully functional and robust we had to make them slightly overscale, so the finished model lamps will be this size.

Cheers!

Fran

Have you thought of fibre optics and bulb in the body to enable those lights to be reduced down to scale size? They are so big to look silly! Fibre optics can transmit the remote light to the detail without the need for a bulb, which I guess is the size issue.

https://www.starscape.co.uk/customer-project-64-model-train-lights-using-fibre-optics-and-leds/

It has been done!

https://www.layouts4u.net/

Edited by reddragon
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

54 minutes ago, reddragon said:

Have you thought of fibre optics and bulb in the body to enable those lights to be reduced down to scale size? They are so big to look silly! Fibre optics can transmit the remote light to the detail without the need for a bulb, which I guess is the size issue.

https://www.starscape.co.uk/customer-project-64-model-train-lights-using-fibre-optics-and-leds/

It has been done!

https://www.layouts4u.net/

Not to mention the latest Bachman class 20s (non head code version)

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @WCML100,

Cheers!

Fran

I take it that means you are 'skimping' on the working forward facing camera then? That opening roof panel would have been great for a memory card slot to download the data! 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think that once the loco was on its dedicated SGT set that was about it, it just stayed on it, not so much chopping and changing around as they do now with the class 37s, turning isn’t so much of a problem, a quick trip from derby to Trent jn, round the triangle and it’s turned, or if they know a loco (or DBSO) coming from tamworth direction needed turning in advance it could be sent from braunton jn to drakelow and back round the triangle at Burton in trent to turn, done that move quite a few times to turn an IM train 

Do they actually have to function? From what I can tell you can’t see the infrared with the naked eye, it only really shows up in photos at night (certainly the case with the DBSO anyway) an iPhone was a good way of checking the UV lights were functioning on prep! 

Dbso London Marylebone Station

nowt to see in the day 

DBSO in East Midlands Parkway

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

damn all my test stock is post 31 withdrawal. it might be time to dig out the abandoned SGT optical car to give me an excuse. Lights are a little bit off putting for me. Nice addition but as jim has said, only visible on camera and not too the naked eye

2 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

Same here. The compromise on the spot lights on 31285 is understandable but personally I'd have preferred non functioning versions at the correct scale.

Another great announcement from Accurascale nonetheless.

This is interesting, because it proves that the laws of physics applies to both Bachmann and Accurascale.

IIRC with the class 20 lights some were up in arms because Bachmann chose common sense over cost/complexity and went with cosmetic where they could not fit in the wiring/bulb.  Accurascale have taken the slightly overscale approach to address a similar issue and peope ask for cosmetic instead.

Who'd be a manufacturer trying to second guess what modellers want.

PS not getting at you personally @WILLIAM, it's just you're an example here of the conundrum for manufacturers when things get difficult to reproduce.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

I’m a little puzzled by the item in the spec:

“Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, driver’s desk with auto/off on movement”

This seems to say that the driver’s desk illumination is turned off when the loco moves. That seems odd if it is. I also have a dislike of cablights which extinguish when a loco starts to move*. Will it be possible to reprogramme the cablights to eliminate this feature?

* Just to clarify. Cablights are seldom turned off at the moment a loco starts to move. Usually they are turned off earlier but are known to be switched off just after a loco starts moving.

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

IIRC with the class 20 lights some were up in arms because Bachmann chose common sense over cost/complexity and went with cosmetic where they could not fit in the wiring/bulb.  

But the class 20 lights DO work - they’re not cosmetic

23 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

PS not getting at you personally @WILLIAM, it's just you're an example here of the conundrum for manufacturers when things get difficult to reproduce.

I understand your general point but it is a very niche thing to have working spotlights on a model loco that would only be turned on to inspect tunnels and structures on the real thing. The class 20 lighting issues were more mainstream IMHO.

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

I understand your general point but it is a very niche thing to have working spotlights on a model loco that would only be turned on to inspect tunnels and structures on the real thing. The class 20 lighting issues were more mainstream IMHO.

But it's your opinion and it encapsulates the conundrum because equally there will be a lot of people who would expect the lights to work if they are on the loco.  There is quite a subset of modellers who want electronics to have switchable lights on throughout locomotives and they would expect these lights to work regardless of whether or not they only got switched on in special circumstances where the locomotive would not be visible with them on except when entering and exiting a tunnel.

For Bachmann the option would have been a slightly overscale light cluster to make the cost of lighting the marker lights reasonable, but that would have then caught the attention of those for whom scale is the most important element.  In their case for the people who really wanted the marker lights working there were after market options.

It's a fine line for manufacturers to tread and in this instance I think Accurascale probably made the right call beause their locos are feature rich as well as exquisite models.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m a little puzzled by the item in the spec:

“Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, driver’s desk with auto/off on movement”

This seems to say that the driver’s desk illumination is turned off when the loco moves. That seems odd if it is. I also have a dislike of cablights which extinguish when a loco starts to move*. Will it be possible to reprogramme the cablights to eliminate this feature?

* Just to clarify. Cablights are seldom turned off at the moment a loco starts to move. Usually they are turned off earlier but are known to be switched off just after a loco starts moving.

Well the magic smoke inside the DCC decoders mean you can do almost anything, as long as you cast the correct spell.  Yes, CVs can be modified to stop the automatic turning off of the cab lights.  The 55 didn't have this feature, so there were lots of requests for the feature to be added.  AS have added the feature and guess what....  Your comment perfectly aligns with the other conversation @woodenhead is having above.

Steve

Good on Accurascale for pushing ahead and tooling up quite a niche couple of locos for people to add to their collection. Not my era but I'm interested to see how these turn out and eagerly await my EWS 31466!

Edited by Chris56057
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Well the magic smoke inside the DCC decoders mean you can do almost anything, as long as you cast the correct spell.  Yes, CVs can be modified to stop the automatic turning off of the cab lights.  The 55 didn't have this feature, so there were lots of requests for the feature to be added.  AS have added the feature and guess what....  Your comment perfectly aligns with the other conversation @woodenhead is having above.

Steve

Everything is configurable and a complete list of functions, aux outputs and cvv' values to do so will come with the model. HTH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

i'm wondering whether to get 466. never saw it in action in EWS but did stand next to the shiny thing at Toton open day

As they used to say on Bullseye 'here's what you could have won' (Willesden area 08Aug 2000)

rev 31466 Willesden 08Aug00.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

There is quite a subset of modellers who want electronics to have switchable lights on throughout locomotives and they would expect these lights to work regardless of whether or not they only got switched on in special circumstances where the locomotive would not be visible with them on except when entering and exiting a tunnel.

the thing is they are on all the time, you just can’t see them with the naked eye

• Like 1