RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Same here. If I click "Layout topics" either at the top of a thread screen or directly from the menu, all I get is "Cannot complete this request". It doesn't matter if I use a different browser, log out or use a browser that someone else is having no problems with or use a totally different device.

I can read the topics I follow, plus any topics linked therein.

This has been ongoing since the crash.

Any difference if you click this?

https://85a.uk/templot/companion/info.php?ref=1234

Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2022 at 15:53, john new said:

I have also noted what @PhilJ W reported so can confirm it does occur. On the subject of notifications sometimes the blob on the bell at the screen top is green, sometimes it is red, but I haven't checked to see if that differs by type, for example  a reaction to a post as opposed to being quoted. (Edit: or differs between my phone/i-pad and the laptop).

Noticed I had a red one today (i-pad) it was a comment in a followed thread; therefore I think the green one’s are probably reactions to your own posts and re-quotes with the red one’s being new posts in followed threads.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, john new said:

Noticed I had a red one today (i-pad) it was a comment in a followed thread; therefore I think the green one’s are probably reactions to your own posts and re-quotes with the red one’s being new posts in followed threads.

Whatever the colours indicate is irrelevant if it means that you can't read them. Some appear in white and I think some may have been in yellow. Not too troubled about it as its only a minor niggle and Andy will sort it out when the more important stuff is sorted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I hope someone can help me with this... There has been some mention of using the Wayback Machine to retrieve photos that are currently unavailable due to the recent change of hosting. I have been trying to use the Wayback Machine for this but I've been failing miserably!

I should state here that the photos I'm trying to find aren't mine - they were posted by @Nile on June 6, 2019 and were posted to a thread "Peco O Gauge Set Track" - sorry if you're not interested in that but hopefully this might help anyone that is looking to restore their own photos or files from the Wayback Machine.

I can get to the first page of the "Peco O Gauge Set Track" thread here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170512140639/http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75748-peco-o-gauge-set-track/

Once I have arrived at the first page I've tried navigating using the "Next" button or by trying to select specific page numbers but all I get is the following "not archived" response:

727515562_WaybackMaching-urlnotarchived.jpg.71f26f86198cb716e6d920c8917346b8.jpg

Looking at other threads in the same archive/snapshot, the url for subsequent pages should have "page-2", "page-3", "page-4" etc appended to the end of the url, but trying this instead of using the navigation buttons still gives me the same "not archived" response.

I know that the date/timestamp of "20170512140639" is earlier than the posting date that I'm interested in but this is the only archive of this thread that I've been able to find so far and in any case the thread was started in 2013 and there should be several more pages prior to 2017, even though 2017 is a couple of years before the post I'm interested in.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or is it simply that the Wayback Machine does not archive everything? If the latter then surely it won't be much use if people are trying to retrieve their files...?

Note to moderators: if you feel that I've put this request in the wrong place then please feel free to move it.

Thanks to anyone that has managed to read this far!

Cheers,

Neil.

1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

Neil - the Wayback machine doesn't archive many RMweb pages. If you're after images, the best way is to message the poster. Fortunately in your case, the member is still around.

OK - many thanks! I guess I got the wrong idea about the Wayback Machine - I'll try asking @Nile and see whether he still has them.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Something strange is happening. On a couple of threads I've clicked on 'first unread' and its taken me to the first post instead of the first unread. Both the threads where it happened are in the UK prototype questions topic. 

• Agree 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Something strange is happening. On a couple of threads I've clicked on 'first unread' and its taken me to the first post instead of the first unread. Both the threads where it happened are in the UK prototype questions topic. 

That'll be because I was testing a possible solution for those who couldn't access that subforum (which didn't work) so after a couple of moves it's probably thrown a wobbly. Click on the time of post and work backwards.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That'll be because I was testing a possible solution for those who couldn't access that subforum (which didn't work) so after a couple of moves it's probably thrown a wobbly. Click on the time of post and work backwards.

Thats what I did, at first I thought it was me with my ten thumbs.😄

Hi

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but rmweb site appears to be configured for mobile platforms only since change of host? ..? I cannot access site properly with pc running Windows 10. I get a basic page with giant avatar letters. IPad and phone are fine.

Any help appreciated - thanks 

Edited by Pak75
Crash
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Pak75 said:

Hi

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but rmweb site appears to be configured for mobile platforms only since change of host? ..? I cannot access site properly with pc running Windows 10. I get a basic page with giant avatar letters. IPad and phone are fine.

Try a cookie and history clearout. The site shouldn't just be limited to the mobile version.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Try a cookie and history clearout. The site shouldn't just be limited to the mobile version.

My laptop, running Windows 10 works fine.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Desktop Mac runs the full version as usual. The only issue is the ongoing delay in emojis being selected and posted but they work normally on the iPhone. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Pak75 said:

Hi

Fine on Android Tablet, Android Phone, Win 10 Desktop, Win 10 Laptop & Win 11 Desktop, tried on various browsers but usually Firefox.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I hope this thread isn't going to become an endless list of "it works for me" messages...!

Pak75 obviously has some local issue, otherwise there would be hundreds more reports like his.

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, Pak75 said:

Thanks all the replies.

Magically, i can now access site in Windows 10 without having done anything to browser...

That sounds very much like a cookie or cache timeout, then. 

Issues like this caused by local storage will, usually, resolve themselves eventually when the locally stored data expires and is overwritten by fresh data from the server. So one solution is, often, just to wait a few days. But if you want to speed it up, then doing a forced refresh of the page (pressing Ctrl-F5 on a PC) is often all it takes. If that doesn't solve it, then logging off and on again is the next step, and if it still isn't working then going into your browser's settings and manually clearing cookies and cache data for the site is the next. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Something rather strange is happening. When I open a thread it appears OK but when I want to return to content the return button doesn't seem to work and I have to hold the cursor over the return arrow then click on content. This only seems to happen when I open a forums thread, in all other instances the return button works as normal.

• Agree 1