Mark 1 56ft 11" Suburban Coaches inn OO/4mm, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m confused as to why the blue one has a brown underframe and bogies. Is this the base colour for a weathered version? 

The ‘norm’ to date has been to do them inaccurately in black…

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Underframes with BR blue were originally chocolate brown.

8 minutes ago, McC said:

The ‘norm’ to date has been to do them inaccurately in black…

Wow I had no idea that was the case. Thanks both. Learn something new everyday. 

• Agree 1

On 27/05/2023 at 21:18, black and decker boy said:

Lurking in plain sight on Charwelton today at Railex Aylesbury was the prep sample of the MK1 BTU van and it’s lovely weathered roof,

glad I ordered one last week 

IMG_4262.jpeg.0b5c00e97d2f2303f3d535a3b1d889e0.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg.47aa0e2823181e9206ec97f331fbb804.jpeg

Are the painted yellow windows, meant to have been plated over? In which case they need to be painted black from behind to prevent the light bleed.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rovex said:

Are the painted yellow windows, meant to have been plated over? In which case they need to be painted black from behind to prevent the light bleed.

Absolutely. these are livery / decoration samples not final production. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Amaziii said:

Anyone got any pictures of the prototypical brown used for the BR Blue's underframes? Really curious to see what they look like >:D

'Fraid not - but it was a cross between maroon and chocolate.

Precision had it in their range - they may still do so.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Islesy said:

We can be quite specific with that under frame colour @Amaziii, the correct colour is BS 3-039 Chocolate.

Equivalent to BS381C 451 Dark Brown, as per Sheet 1/30 Basic Elements - Colour in the British Rail Corporate Manual.

Also BS381C 633 Dark Grey/BS2660 9-098 for roofs.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

The chocolate was a very 'strong' colour but not 80% intense chocolate, possibly 70% and, of course, gloss. I distinctly remember looking for it on newly painted coaches as I had been to the design center exhibition and had read about the surprising new colour - may even have had a copy of the corporate image manual at home. 

I'll admit that I don't remember it on locos, this for example has been shopped (fitted with push pull fixings) only a few weeks before the photo - but possibly they didn't touch the running gear - a lot of repainting even today ignore everything below the body. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcwclass33/e2e96718f

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2023 at 08:27, rovex said:

This is something that really should have been done on the Deltics as well, as there is light bleed (certainly on KOYLI with a white-painted quarterlight plate, where light bleeds under night conditions, and also daylight when viewing through the cab).

Good that AS are on it this time round

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

If they're supposed to be plated flush, perhaps inserting a brass etching might have been better than just paint ??!?  -  though more expensive, of course.

The deco samples, are not finished to spec, and will feature fully painted out windows inside and out (as per the real thing) not etches, hope that helps!

Edited by McC
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2023 at 09:05, stovepipe said:

Like this one.

D864 Newton Abbott May 67 Slide 126

Being cynical, I can't help wondering if the 'brown' underframe colour was a way of using up stocks of coaching stock maroon.

Mix maroon 50:50 with black, what do you get??

CJI.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1