York Show 2023 (We still have some unclaimed lost property).

john new

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed my weekend away playing trains, first show since Lincoln just before the first lockdown. 
Good to meet lots of RMwebbers that I knew by name but not face, and meeting new folks I hadn’t crossed paths of previously. Superb selection of layouts, seemed like there was something for everyone and the quality was exceptional. I managed not to spend too much money, three more coal wagons including two more HAAs…. 

The buffet and social on Saturday for exhibitors was great too, thanks so much to everyone involved. Our little jaunt out to see @31A‘s beautiful Finsbury Square on Friday evening was a good start to the weekend, thanks Steve, and finally special thanks to @Clive Mortimorefor letting me come and play trains all weekend.

Andi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to John, all the team, the exhibitors and traders for putting on another excellent show, it was well worth the long wait. I visited the show twice over the course of the weekend, this afternoon as things quietened down a bit I got all my shopping done and revisited a lot of layouts that were wedged on Saturday. It seems the best time to visit if you don't have a long journey home. Looking forward to the next one already. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dava said:

Anyone take photos or video of 2ndHand Yard, US O scale by Arry Dodd, stand 110 please?

I’m unable to get to York.

Thanks, Dava

Some photos for you early in my album of Day 3 - click on the photo

York Show 2023 Day 3

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I enjoyed my weekend away playing trains, first show since Lincoln just before the first lockdown. 
Good to meet lots of RMwebbers that I knew by name but not face, and meeting new folks I hadn’t crossed paths of previously. Superb selection of layouts, seemed like there was something for everyone and the quality was exceptional. I managed not to spend too much money, three more coal wagons including two more HAAs…. 

The buffet and social on Saturday for exhibitors was great too, thanks so much to everyone involved. Our little jaunt out to see @31A‘s beautiful Finsbury Square on Friday evening was a good start to the weekend, thanks Steve, and finally special thanks to @Clive Mortimorefor letting me come and play trains all weekend.

Andi

What he said.

Big thanks to @Dagworth for his help and company over the weekend. Even though he broke the layout a few minutes before the show started, but a seasoned bodgers we carried on rewardless.

There were some lovely layouts, my favorite was next door to Pig Lane,  Richard Stott's "Staly Vegas", so I didn't mind there being loads of people around his layout and a big void in front of mine.

As Pig Lane is table top height young children can see the layout, mum and dad could rest their arms for a few minutes. The kids seemed to enjoy finding the locomotives which matched the cards I use for my random operating sequence. On Sunday this one young chap took over as driver, he had a huge smile on his face when he said good bye.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Some photos for you early in my album of Day 3 - click on the photo

York Show 2023 Day 3

Chris H

Many thanks Gilbert,

US O scale SG layouts are quite scarce at shows so I really appreciate these photos.

Dava

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lost property update

Most of what was handed in during the show was reunited during the show hours. We still have:-

• A camera
  • Mobile phone and glasses
  • Charm bracelet charm

If you think they may be yours please PM me with a description of the lost item and day you lost it/them.

Edited by john new
Grammar correction
  • Like 1

I am thankful for the return of this show too. Long may it survive and thrive. Perhaps next year, with the hope that the pandemic will be even more thoroughly behind us (and out of the minds of those who continue to worry or fear its effects) and with some easing of the shock of the financial squeeze, there will be renewed growth of attendance numbers and fewer (or no) late withdrawals and programme alterations. I dare to even hope for the re-appearance of some useful traders who felt unable to attend this time.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, John of York61 said:

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I am tired but happy to have had the privilege of organising the York Show. To many of the regulars who congratulated me, I asked "does it feel back to normal?"

Answer, it seems was a resounding 'yes'. 

This was effectively Mal's last show: he had booked most of the layouts for the 2020 show, which is why we were all wearing "York Model Railway Show 2020" badges. (It's actually because Andrew Hartshorne had produced them for 2020 but simply passed them on when I asked).

The loss of Eileen's Emporium has hit hard: I put CM3 models and Metalsmith on Eileen's 'pitch' and it seemed to work. I try not to add any cosmic significance to this, but I share the same birthday as the late Mal Scrimshaw and I found out I'm distantly related to Mike Cook!!!!!!!

Now to sleep for a week!

John Shaw

Manager, York Model Railway Show

Well done John, looks like it was an excellent weekend. Although the family wedding I was press ganged into attending at the weekend was very good, I would still rather have been at York. We will be back next year with the late Iain Rice's Trerice - I will be in touch in a week or two when youve had a descent kip!

Jerry

• Like 5

I too would like to thank all those involved with the organisation & running of the show. I and my party were there on Monday - it was good to be back! Some of the gang were non-modellers,but all thoroughly enjoyed the show. York and Staly Vegas in particular caught their eyes, and I enjoyed them too. Had some great conversations with many of the layout builders/operators, and it was good to do the same with several of the traders as well. Ditto a good chat with Mr & Mrs W - aka Tony and Mo!

One of my party was wheelchair-bound, but he thoroughly enjoyed it all too, being able to see most of the layouts without issue.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MarkC said:

I too would like to thank all those involved with the organisation & running of the show. I and my party were there on Monday - it was good to be back! Some of the gang were non-modellers,but all thoroughly enjoyed the show. York and Staly Vegas in particular caught their eyes, and I enjoyed them too. Had some great conversations with many of the layout builders/operators, and it was good to do the same with several of the traders as well. Ditto a good chat with Mr & Mrs W - aka Tony and Mo!

One of my party was wheelchair-bound, but he thoroughly enjoyed it all too, being able to see most of the layouts without issue.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I too liked York and Staly Vegas, which disproved a posting before the show that there was a anti-N gauge bias. Both were excellent examples. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

My wife and I went to the show on Monday morning arriving just as the early queue had gone. On the way from the car park she commented “I Hope I’m not going to be bored”.

We left about 2:00pm with big smiles on our faces and might have stayed longer if we didn’t have to drive back to Norfolk. The variety, artistry and simple friendliness of the exhibits/ exhibitors was simply superb.

Congratulations and thanks to all who contributed in whatever way to such a wonderful show.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/04/2023 at 15:58, Pint of Adnams said:

Some names to the layout images would be helpful for those of us rather remote from the action...

Pity no-one seems to have responded. The “dinge” on that first photo is epic, and I’d love to know how it was achieved. 

I attended on the Monday for my first visit to a York show.  I was fortunate to have been at a family wedding over the weekend otherwise i wouldnt have made the long journey North for us.  It was great to see a number of layouts which i would be unlikely to see locally.  I was really impressed with the show and would say its the best one we've done to date, so we will certainly be back again.

I tried my best to film all of the layouts but with juggling a family which included a toddler and trying to fit it all into 1 day, it was very challenging.  I'm about to start working my way through the videos which i'll post on here in time.

In future i'll aim to travel up and stay locally, attending multiple days to make sure i can fit it all in and have a look around the demos and traders, only 1 of which i had the time to speak to.

• Like 6

Also one other big positive that i need to mention, is your program.  For what I do, which is mostly filming layouts and putting together video compilations, the info in it is fantastic for doing the video descriptions.  So many times I do shows and there is little to no info on the layouts in the program or on the show website, meaning that sometimes I have to spend ages scouring online to find information on the layouts.  I certainly wouldn't expect all exhibitions to put together such a program but basic info on the layouts which i can read up on post show is a big thumbs up from me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, SHGP Media said:

Also one other big positive that i need to mention, is your program.  For what I do, which is mostly filming layouts and putting together video compilations, the info in it is fantastic for doing the video descriptions.  So many times I do shows and there is little to no info on the layouts in the program or on the show website, meaning that sometimes I have to spend ages scouring online to find information on the layouts.  I certainly wouldn't expect all exhibitions to put together such a program but basic info on the layouts which i can read up on post show is a big thumbs up from me.

Also, a bargain at only two quid!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

don't have enough footage of all the layouts to warrant that many individual videos, but i can for some.  First up is Hills of the North - Spirit of Shap, which is a 00 gauge layout which depicts the West Coast Mainline at Shap summit in the Cumbrian fells. The layout aims to recreate scenes from this famous railway location, including banking engines assisting heavy trains up the steep incline to the summit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Staly Vegas, is a small N gauge layout, which depicts a mainline running through an industrial scene, set in the area of Huddersfield in the 1960s.

York, is a 2mm Finescale layout which depicts York station as it was in the late 1930s.

Chapel-en-le-Frith is a 00 gauge layout exhibited by the Leeds MRS. It is based on the real life Chapel en le Frith station, as it was in the time period 1958-1962.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1