Bachmann Autumn 2022 Announcements inc. Farish headlines

AY Mod

Can I just be the first to say....

There's nothing there for me! 🙂

Actually, the yard crane looks a nice model, so I might pick one up if I happen to see it on an exhibition trade stall some time. But I'm not going to order one specially. Does anyone know what prototype it represents? 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Agree and It wouldn't even be necessary had Bachmann chosen a different number instead of duplicating an existing model..strange decision.....

Well I for one am glad they didnt choose 37012 Loch Rannoch to do.

37043 is a one off for me, but celeb large logo 37’s have been well done and twice cooked by Bachmann…. My 37114 and 37025 are safe for a while longer at least. 37081 might have been an interesting alternative, but 043 is different as any other.

However ive ordered 2x37027 as I plan to renumber one of them as 37012, and prefer the white striped pair be a livery match.

The dilemma for Bachmanm is do they re -do past glories and repeat popular livery and numbers, risking the ire of modellers who already have them, and potentially not seeing people upgrade.. or go for greenfield numbers/variants.

By all accounts they have done the latter, but in same breath so have Accurascale, theres too have avoided repetition. The problem is there is only so much dancing around you can do before 1990’s heros become neccessary repeats… the dilemma for AS is announcing them, and watch Bachmann crank up the factory to head them off (like the 66’s).

The risk is both jump over each other.  

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Interesting that the HTAs are fitted with Kadee-style knuckle couplers. I presume they're the ones that Bachmann USA markets as E-Z Mate (a brand name that doesn't really work in the UK, for all sorts of reasons!).

That's not hugely relevant to me since I'm not going to be a customer for those wagons, but I do wonder whether it's likely to become the norm for future "modern image" Bachmann releases. And, if so, whether other manufacturers will follow suit.

It would certainly make sense to include alternate couplings in the pack, given that pretty much everything these days has NEM pockets so fitting the couplings you want is just a matter of popping them in. I've experimented with Kadees, but concluded that they just don't look right on a steam era layout. But if I ever do build a diesel era layout (and I am toying with the idea, just for a change) then I think I'd want knuckle couplers as they do look better on that kind of model than tension locks. 

4 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

I understand its not within the reach of every modeller, however it could just be renumbered and renamed to another one? However I fully appreciate a different running number would of been welcome.

With the level of attention to detail currently being paid to models, will the specific combination be correct for another loco? By the time it got into Large Logo it will have had changes so it can't just renumbered without quite a bit of research, which the customer wouldn't have needed to do if Bachmann had been more thoughtful...

Luke

25 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Interesting that the HTAs are fitted with Kadee-style knuckle couplers.

They always have been. They have these in real life, which is also why they don't have buffers (in the case of these models, in real life most don't have buffers). I think they run/ran in fixed rakes with 66s which (in the case of DB/EWS ones) also had the knuckle coupler.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

With the level of attention to detail currently being paid to models, will the specific combination be correct for another loco? By the time it got into Large Logo it will have had changes so it can't just renumbered without quite a bit of research, which the customer wouldn't have needed to do if Bachmann had been more thoughtful...

Luke

Of course this needs to be taken into account. Up to the individual to do their research if they want to model a particular loco or be prepared to modify as appropriate. All part of the fun in my opinion. 

The SECR brakevan is a wise choice and will no doubt be very popular. I have no need for one, but I'm sure plenty of modellers will be happy to tick it off their wishlist!

Apart from that, it's a disappointing announcement for the steam-era modeller. And I'm skeptical that the hi-spec 37 was a good idea. It seems to me like we're one step closer towards a situation where multiple manufacturers compete over the same "popular" prototypes and never actually announce anything that's never been done before.

I'm also surprised that a BR green 37 hasn't been announced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure if I am the only one, but I would love to know how many of us would love to see a Blue Pre Tops Named WR Class 47, it really does seem to be one that Bachmann really don’t want to produce 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

I am not sure if I am the only one, but I would love to know how many of us would love to see a Blue Pre Tops Named WR Class 47, it really does seem to be one that Bachmann really don’t want to produce 🤷🏻‍♂️

Modelzone commissioned IKB in this form as a Bachmann limited edition and it had to be discounted to sell out. Pre-TOPS numbers on BR blue seem harder to sell that with TOPS numbers.

Edited by brushman47544
Typos
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, brushman47544 said:

Modelzone commissioned IKB in this form as a Bachmann limited edition and it has to be discounted to sell out. Pre-TOPS numbers on BR blue seem harder to seek that with TOPS numbers.

Might have had to be discounted but can you get hold of one now coz I certainly can’t 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ThaneofFife said:

plenty more DBSOs (amazed theres that big an interest in these apart from the true push pull passenger types but no new or reruns of the Mk2f coaches........maybe next time son..................

Yes we need some more Mk2 Aircon Open Seconds in Blue/Grey silly prices on ebay for all versions eg Airfix/Hornby/Bachmann.

Have ordered 37 034 the sound version, the deluxe model is stretching it a bit price wise so I can live with the standard version.

I would like to have seen a plain blue version of the 101 with 1st class the previous version that I think Bachmann did was a Newcastle based set where 1st was desclassified, as they got rid of 1st there much earlier than a lot of local services in other areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nathan70000 said:

It seems to me like we're one step closer towards a situation where multiple manufacturers compete over the same "popular" prototypes and never actually announce anything that's never been done before.

That's pretty much what happens in the German market: Trix/Märklin, Roco and Piko all produce various versions of effectively the same prototype.

Clearly the market is big enough to support 3 versions of some locos but too small to support 1 version of other locos.

Luke

• RMweb Gold

I thought I’d say this before my mate @class26 see’s this because he (and others) complain that of the Scottish Class 37’s, it’s always seems that the West Highland Line one’s are done and missing out the IS based Far North Line versions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I thought I’d say this before my mate @class26 see’s this because he (and others) complain that of the Scottish Class 37’s, it’s always seems that the West Highland Line one’s are done and missing out the IS based Far North Line versions.

37260-262 have been missed, Probably because they have big round buffers, but cut skirts, something Bachmann havent done too often (37275 being one).

37260 Radio Highland in Large Logo / black headcode panel

37261 Caithness in Large Logo / black headcode panel

37262 Dounreay in Engineers Grey

All including car headlights would be nice.

Not many 37/4’s between 37414-421 have been done in Large Logo or Mainline, that werent post 1990, indeed 4 of the models were made back in 1990 !

Lima did 37419/420 in Mainline, Bachmann 37415, Vitrains 37417/420

Bachmann and Lima did 37418 and Bachmann 37417 in l/l

Though 37025 and 37114 have made the cut twice [Lima/Bachmann] as has 37232 [Lima] and 37156 [Vitrains] and 37133 [Lima]

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Im suprised theres not been any train sets announced for a while. N scale sets are vertually none existant, even 00 sets are limited to a few choices.

They make a fuss over sound fitted locos running on anologue so why not do a new set - in both 00 and N - with a small 0-6-0 loco and a few wagons and to keep the costs down a standard anologue controller. Obvious choice for n gauge being the 08 or even the 4F. 00 Gauge could use the Jinty or the 03 - both of which have only been released as a single livery with sound fitted.

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Modelzone commissioned IKB in this form as a Bachmann limited edition and it had to be discounted to sell out. Pre-TOPS numbers on BR blue seem harder to sell that with TOPS numbers.

2 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

Might have had to be discounted but can you get hold of one now coz I certainly can’t 

Also, as Modelzone went down the tubes everything got discounted to try and maintain cashflow. It might have been a slower seller than some but wasn't by any means a hopelessly niche endeavour. I bought one, but eventually as the aftermarket price rose let it go to fund something else.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Not many people model the Zombie decade, post steam and pre-demise of the westerns.

I wonder if they'll do an OO SPT 101 if/when the new Farish Collectors club model sells well.

It's been quite a while since they've done any Scottish DMUs suitable for the 90/00s period. The limited edition SPT 107 and Swoosh 150 models sold very well. I'm sure a tatty ScotRail 117 would also be popular.

Nice to see more HTAs, but at £70 each I'd rather buy more twin packs of Accurascale's highly detailed HYA for around £30 a wagon.

Edited by scottrains29

55 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Not many people model the Zombie decade, post steam and pre-demise of the westerns.

Im quite surprised really, a number people have been asking Accurascale for both a 31 and a 37 in this form (admittedly me being one of them!!) - as well as green, and also mentioning it in the Bachmann 37 thread. The fact is many if not most items of hauled stock are made available in pre TOPS BR variants. 

Fact is there seems to be a lot of interest in the transition period from BR green (and maroon) to BR blue - which actually ran alongside the last knockings of steam (except on the WR who’d dumped theirs by the end of 65 (mostly)) - judging by the threads on it on this forum and the books available commercially.

For me, this period coincided with early/mid teens, ability to travel around to seek out stock to spot - and I’m guessing my demographic/age group is quite reasonably if not heavily represented in railway modelling. 

And yes, speaking from my perspective I’d love to see one of the new Bachmann class 47s in either green or blue or both, pre TOPS, in WR or even LMR form!! A named one would be nice!! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnR said:

Thats the point. I've already got Loch Lomond on order. I am not going to be buying another one. If they had chosen a different identity, I would probably have picked up one of theirs as well. I won't be the only one like that. 

Was the Bachmann one already in works as 043 when accurascale announced theirs ? That’s the only reason I can think for going head to head on a specific loco.

If not it’s Russian roulette , because if the accura one is seen as good enough at £160 I’d go for that - Don’t really have any brand loyalty other than trying to avoid red box !

• Like 1