Bachmann Autumn 2022 Announcements inc. Farish headlines

AY Mod

12 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

The last new tooling OO gauge steam loco released by Bachmann, was the all new, not anything to do with any previous tooling LNER V2. Which was released around the same time as the first all new, not anything to do with any previous tooling BR Class 47 models.

Of course it was. I had forgotten they did some normal ones that weren't "exclusives" for Rails/NRM.

Jason

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

The last new tooling OO gauge steam loco released by Bachmann, was the all new, not anything to do with any previous tooling LNER V2. Which was released around the same time as the first all new, not anything to do with any previous tooling BR Class 47 models.

I’m sure you’re right about releases dates. I was talking about the dates the locos were announced.

Edited by Downer
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Think it was a mistake for them to do Loch Lomond in Large Logo. I've already ordered this from Accurascale, so wont be buying the Bachman one to duplicate it. 

Now if it had been a different Scottish 37 in Large Logo, eg Oor Wullie, then I'd have snapped it up. 

The market can cope with 2 high-spec Class 37 models, but not 2 high-spec models of Loch Lomond!

• Like 1
  • Agree 17

Just now, JohnR said:

Think it was a mistake for them to do Loch Lomond in Large Logo. I've already ordered this from Accurascale, so wont be buying the Bachman one to duplicate it. 

Now if it had been a different Scottish 37 in Large Logo, eg Oor Wullie, then I'd have snapped it up. 

The market can cope with 2 high-spec Class 37 models, but not 2 high-spec models of Loch Lomond!

I understand its not within the reach of every modeller, however it could just be renumbered and renamed to another one? However I fully appreciate a different running number would of been welcome.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice range of announcements I think . Although not an N Gauge modeler I'm glad to see something new announced for them .  

I am operating analogue DC and extremely unlikely to change to DCC now , so I would be interested if someone , maybe even Bachmann themselves , would put out a video of their Sound fitted locos operating on DC . How do they work , what sounds do you actually get ?  I can well remember the sound of a 37 banking a train out of Glasgow Queen Street , might be interested in splashing the cash on a sound one , but really would like to see how it works first.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

I understand its not within the reach of every modeller, however it could just be renumbered and renamed to another one? However I fully appreciate a different running number would of been welcome.

I am not about to renumber a £300 loco!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I do like the grey 37 - I’d have to alter it to Transrail for my time period though.

I think the new 37 sits much better in the bogies - it actually looks like a 100 tons plus right there .

What it will come down to between the barwell 37 and the Irish 37 is which produces closer to what I need and renumbering v £50 will be the debate at that point .

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am struggling to find the prototype of this DB red HTA they have announced. I was wondering if buying multiple could replicate a train, but I am actually struggling to find one like the model let alone a trainload of them.

Anyway, here is a photo of a DB red HTA, the only one I can find, although with the white box at the top it is not the subject of Bachmann's model (see more below):

HTA 310552

Not to be confused with the far more numerous (in DB red) HRAs (which are cut down HTAs):

HRA wagons

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, found this which I was completely unaware of. Is it a one off? CGA apparently converted from a HTA for biomass use.

CGA 310604

Having done some research on the above, I have found that the DB red one at the top was experimented with for Biomass, hence the repaint.

https://wagons-library.weebly.com/cga.html

And another one here as an experiment for biomass:

Shirebrook

Found the prototype at last:

DB Schenker HTA No.310977 Arpley Yard

Edited by TomScrut
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not a criticism, merely an observation, but I find it interesting that Rails have opted to maintain the full RRP for the SFX deluxe versions of the 37s whilst discounting the others.

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/Bachmann?tags_class_8tf68qt1hibn7922r1q89ey5=Class%2037&sortValue=6&mc_cid=a4c2c44ad4&mc_eid=667d98311c

Whilst I appreciate they are in demand, the resultant £80 premium for the SFX one over the SF version makes the tinted cab windows look like a very expensive option. I wonder if it'll help temper the demand?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Nice range of announcements I think . Although not an N Gauge modeler I'm glad to see something new announced for them .  

I am operating analogue DC and extremely unlikely to change to DCC now , so I would be interested if someone , maybe even Bachmann themselves , would put out a video of their Sound fitted locos operating on DC . How do they work , what sounds do you actually get ?  I can well remember the sound of a 37 banking a train out of Glasgow Queen Street , might be interested in splashing the cash on a sound one , but really would like to see how it works first.

I can’t provide you with a video but I already operate both new releases successfully on dc analogue using a Gaugemaster Combi. I get start up.idling,running /accelerating  ,coasting,the odd squeal etc. I made a conscious decision on the strength of recent experience with their new 47.  Worth it ? You bet it is. Adds a new dimension and yes the fan works intermittently…as it is intended to do. Absolutely delighted.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I can see one of those signalman's token exchange platforms appearing at Cwmdimbath, used as a shunter's handsignalling platform for sighting purposes, something I remember from Pengam (Cardiff) in my railway days and eminently modellable.

I can see the advantage to the manufacturer of releasing new liveries over time, thus sustaining demand over a longer production period, and maintaining customer interest for re-released models.  Not much of a comfort if you are waiting for a particular livery and you might wait forever if you want a particular number.  Personally, I would have no qualms about renumbering a £300 model if I wanted a particuar number, but liveries are a different kettle of worms/can of fish, especially if they are complex.  That said, I've been more than happy to relivery my RTR steam models, though I had to put my foot down with a firm hand (loves a mixed metaphor, me) when it came to correctly representing small prairie 4557 in it's correct unadorned black early BR livery as shown by photographic evidence of it during it's time at Tondu.  I rather liked the LNW BR lined black, correct for it post 1953 at Whitland, and very attractive, as suppied by Bachmann.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

Any gen on what the destination blinds on the green Class 105 are? I always keep half an eye out for anything appropriate to Norfolk 

- James

It says on the Bachmann website, lots of info on there in the product descriptions which can often answer many queries like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping for a couple more large logo 37/4s, 37403 Isle of Mull and/or 37426 Vale of Rheidol (produced many years ago as a Hereford Model Centre limited item).

What's there doesn't desperately interest me, and as concerns Loch Lomond well, I'll leave my order with Accurascale's version; if nothing else it's appreciably cheaper than the Bachmann (DC) version even taking into account most retailers' 15% off......

Edited by WisTramwayMan
Punctuation.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Is it though?

I would have thought that Bachmann would want people buying their model, not someone else's.

Jason

Yes it is. If people have pre-orders with Accurascale, how many of them are going to cancel to order Bachmanns more expensive model?

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Is it though?

I would have thought that Bachmann would want people buying their model, not someone else's.

Jason

Thats the point. I've already got Loch Lomond on order. I am not going to be buying another one. If they had chosen a different identity, I would probably have picked up one of theirs as well. I won't be the only one like that. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4