Dancehall brake from Bachmann - at last ( 2022 )

Wickham Green too

Somewhere hererabouts is a thread dedicated to the merits ( or otherwise ) of Bachmann offering exactly the same class 37 diesels as Accurascale ........ yawn ............ and hidden therein is mention of an S.E.C.R. 'Dancehall' brake van to be produced by Bachmann.

As a completely new - never-offered-R.T.R.-before - product this must merit a thread to itself !!?! .............................. early days yet, but I see no reason it won't be up to the standard of other recent 'blue box' wagons though it looks to carry over the use of British Railways axleboxes from its 'Pillbox' predecessors - no doubt correct fittings for the departmental and preserved vans but questionable for the B.R. grey one and definitely wrong for for the Southern one.

I'll have one in post '36 Southern livery please .................................. whenever !

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

A couple of people here have put my thoughts into words, i.e. the Dancehall is the stand out model in the announcements. Mind, I model 00 and it would be different if I modelled N. I must say it gave me a grin when Richard turned to Steve before announcing the 90 and said, “Are you still here?”

I'll be getting one or two of the Bachmann models (they do look nice!), although for SECR use they are too late for the period I usually depict (1903 - 1912 or thereabouts) - the Dance Halls only came into being in 1919, so we need SECR grey locomotives to go with them.

My previously built Cambrian Kits Dance Hall vans were finished as one BR grey example and one converted to Ballast van in engineering black.

1380024658_SECRDanceHallBrakeVans-Lettered.jpg.01d8d61aa07a7fc2a05085c12626b2d6.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Certainly a welcome and logical addition to the range, one I have had to stay quiet about for sometime, for those that have been asking is it in response to the announcements of a Kent based company... no not that one... this was under development before the UK arm existed...

2126000006_Showcase2208D1559_2.jpg.b15db227096563abbb4346e19ad730ec.jpg

More information here https://southern-railway.com/2022/08/03/Bachmann-showcase-product-announcements-autumn-2022-include-secr-diagram-1559-dancehall-brake-van/

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 14

24 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Certainly a welcome and logical addition to the range, one I have had to stay quiet about for sometime, for those that have been asking is it in response to the announcements of a Kent based company... no not that one... this was under development before the UK arm existed...

2126000006_Showcase2208D1559_2.jpg.b15db227096563abbb4346e19ad730ec.jpg

I'm only glad that they are both doing different brake vans.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I'm only glad that they are both doing different brake vans.

That was slightly... possibly... maybe... orchestrated...

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

In a word, delighted. I love my brake van collection - they were very diverse origins on BR even in the 1970s. 
I’ve got two of the Cambrian kits, one almost completed in engineers olive, fortunately I chose to model the modified version with a single veranda that found its way into departmental service. I’ll certainly be getting two more when these arrive.

Neil 

• Like 1

I wonder if they've tooled up for the SR built Diag. 1560 15" deep solebar version? 

It is a shame they've used the BR axleboxes on all the models, it's correct for 11902 as preserved which they would have looked at to produce the model but obviously incorrect for anything else other than BR. 

Won't put me off buying 1 of these though. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I built a Pillbox and one came out RTR. I had plans for a SR/GWR joint station which didn't come to fruition but kept it as I found a picture of one in the area of the project I actually built

I built Plate wagons ......

I built an 8-plank SR Open wagon.......

I built a Dance Hall........  Strange as I was modelling West Midlands steam but I found a picture of one at Water Orton.

Must check the kit stash and get down to the bookies.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yep - that ran in the West Midlands ...... as did its Lickey predecessor, of course : is that in your kit stash ?

( Personally I'd prefer an S.R. U1 ................. slightly closer to Topic ! )

I have a Big Bertha, largely complete and a part built U1 kit, neither have had any time spent on them for several years though.

So if I ever build a Lickey, I suppose I'll need a load of jinties!

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

When are the Bachmann dancehalls due to arrive?  I am sure I have seen it in writing somewhere but cannot find it now.

Thanks,

Martin

They are on a ship at the moment and due during September.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4