Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Selects The Nuclear Option; Modern FNA-D Nuclear Flask Wagons In OO/4mm

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Our second of our two GETS announcements is the modern FNA-D nuclear flask wagons in OO/4mm gauge.

The first engineering prototype (EP) sample has been received and is on show on our stand at the ‘Great Electric Train Show’ at the Marshall Arena, Milton Keynes this weekend.

Pre-order yours by clicking here!

Prototype History

433209678_FNA11709229011-5and11709229025-5PartonNorthJn15May2021DaveMcAlone.jpg.21e3b538848f3c82b280e642b22cdd74.jpg

NA 11 70 9229 011-5 and 11 70 9229 025-5 Parton North Jn 15 May 2021 - Copyright Dave McAlone

A total of forty of these striking vehicles were built in three batches for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) by WH Davis in the UK between 2014 and 2019, numbered 11 70 9229 001-040. They are used for carrying spent fuel from nuclear power stations and sites undergoing decommissioning to the facility at Sellafield for reprocessing or storage. The FNA-D continues Accurascale's popular and well-regarded range of nuclear vehicles that includes the KUA bogie flask carrier and the PFA two-axle container flat.

IMG_3393.jpeg.13f6050d5fe131004c2ec2e80e4e3424.jpeg

The wagons, which also carry the UIC code ‘Uas’ are a like-for-like replacement for the iconic fleet of BR and Procor-built FNA nuclear flask wagons that were built between 1976 and 1988, now all scrapped. The major updates are bodysides with exposed framing and the distinctive Barber BER22.5 ‘Easy Ride’ low track force bogies. Internally the vessel support structures are designed to carry a wider range of flask designs. Accurascale has obsessively replicated these characteristic features in the smaller scale with a composite die-cast and plastic design that includes full underframe detail and brake equipment.

IMG_3399.jpeg.fc7861bfc5b8b5dac71acdcc29d96e0a.jpeg

Despite the number of working nuclear power stations shrinking dramatically since the turn of the millennium, the FNA-D wagons can still be seen over much of the UK, usually between one and five wagons behind a pair of Direct Rail Services (DRS) locomotives. These operational sites are Hartlepool, Heysham 1 & 2, Torness and Sizewell B.

IMG_3409.jpeg.d8115861893353cb6ccdb5b8787ae88f.jpeg

However, three closed locations are undergoing the de-fuelling process and shipping irradiated fuel rods to Sellafield: Dungeness B, Hinkley Point B and Hunterston B. Meanwhile, Valley loading point, for the former Wylfa facility on Anglesey, completed this process in 2019, but still sees irregular visits by flask trains, as does Georgemas Junction, which serves the experimental reactors at Dounreay.

The Model

IMG_3400.jpeg.33b2534ee95734d403213716b9aed33f.jpeg

The latest addition to our very popular “Powering Britain” range of  freight stock which focuses on energising a nation, the FNA also compliments our growing  nuclear wagon range. They follow in the footsteps of the monster KUA wagons and the recent arrivals of the quirky low level nuclear waste PFA wagons featuring an array of interesting containers.

IMG_3414.jpeg.9667895925bd17e5375e28af2902ff7c.jpeg

With these growing ranges in mind, the FNA-D has been on our ‘hit list’ for a long time, as we look to continue to serve the enthusiasts and modellers of the current era railway operations with prototypically short trains. After all, short trains are perfect for those modellers with space restrictions. A model of these wagons is essential for our range.

1448103036_2022_09.29AccurascaleFNA9012(Pack5).jpg.2705660ce4254b6f76500ac2daf69d6a.jpg

Working closely with WH Davis, the manufacturer of the real FNA-Ds, we were given extensive access to drawings as well as the opportunity to survey the real wagons in the quest to create the most accurate model of these distinctive prototypes. Once again accuracy, detail and build quality are at the top of our priorities and the FNA-D will feature a high specification including:

• Minimum Radius 438mm (2nd Radius)
  • Weight 133g
  • Ten individually numbered wagons packaged in two-car sets
  • Bogies include separate brakeshoes in line with wheels and brake adjuster plus rotating axleboxes
  • RP25-110 profile OO gauge wheels with space to fit EM (18.2mm) or P4 (18.83mm) wheels
  • Sprung buffers and dummy screw couplings are included
  • Super fine separate plastic, metal wire and etched metal detail parts, including air pipes, brake handwheel, hood opening equipment, brake equipment, grabs, warning label holders
  • Kinetic NEM coupler mounts at correct height with mini-tension-lock couplers
  • Working tail light on one vehicle in each pack. This will be powered by a single CR1216 battery and controlled by magnet switch
  • Bogies include separate brakeshoes in line with wheels and brake adjuster plus rotating axleboxes
  • Posable and removable hood for operational interest

Tooling is complete with the first samples now in hand for evaluation, having been revealed at the ‘Great Electric Train Show’ at Milton Keynes. Each twin pack is priced at £74.95 with 10% off when you buy two packs or more direct via our website.

Pre-ordering is now open via local stockists and Accurascale direct, with an anticipated delivery date of Q3 2023.

Browse the range by clicking here!

Cheers,

Fran 

IMG_3411.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there any difference between this and what has been announced by revolution trains already?

If so I can only assume this is much further ahead as Accurascale already have an EP.

In terms of the model it looks brilliant but not for me. I do enjoy the nuclear aspects and the competitive price point for these is to be applauded.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, E100 said:

Is there any difference between this and what has been announced by revolution trains already?

If so I can only assume this is much further ahead as Accurascale already have an EP.

In terms of the model it looks brilliant but not for me. I do enjoy the nuclear aspects and the competitive price point for these is to be applauded.

I believe the Revolution is also an FNA-D

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/revolution-goes-nuclear-again/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, E100 said:

As far as I am aware it is for the same thing. I will decide what to buy when Revolution announce pricing etc. I might only want one.

I suppose this is the unfortunate thing when we have been asking for these for a while now!

11 minutes ago, E100 said:

Accurascale already have an EP.

I thought the EP for the Revolution one was going to be shown soon, but it says it's still at CAD stage.

And that's a tasty pic that can be done with the AS range!

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold

Every twin pack includes a magnetically switched flashing tail lamp also. As well as a replacement lamp iron should you wish to not have inaccurate lamps within the train (for liner or deliver runs). The hood is also posable with the interior modelled. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

As long as you order wagons it works as far as i have seen.

Thanks, not expecting to be ordering any soon, and I only want one or two, so was thinking I'd wait until another announcement and order with that if it's to my taste.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I often see nuclear related rail traffic at Carlisle station or when flashing past the DRS depot at Kingmoor on the train from Carlisle to Glasgow so I'll probably have to order at least one pair of FNA-D.  The presence of a flashing tail light implies an FNA-D as the last vehicle on the train.   When I have seen them there is often a loco on each end or if there is no loco on the rear it is typically a trip working from Kingmoor to Sellafield with a PFA marshalled either side of the FNA-D, thus a PFA is the last vehicle.   I am open to correction, as indeed @TomScrut has already posted a photo of 37425 hauling a single FNA-D.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

@McC and @Accurascale Fran, does the 10% stack across ranges, or would I need to order 2 packs of these to get the discount?

You can actually order two or more of any wagon or coach packs across the website to avail of the bundle discount 

Edited by McC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

if there is no loco on the rear

They are often pulled by single locos down to Doncaster for wheel turning. Which also adds ECML between Newcastle and Doncaster as being a viable region for these.

But I believe that when loaded there are always at least two locos.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

I may need to order a few to re-create this as I was at Crewe station when 8 of them were to transfer from W H Davis to Crewe Gresty Bridge. 07-02-2019

37407 and 37403 hauling 11-70 9229 018-0, 019-8, 023-0, 024-8, 025-5, 026-3, 028-9, 030-5.

Nukes on Delivery (2).jpg

11-70 9229 026-023-025 Uas FNA.jpg

• Like 10

Is there any difference between the available model packs in terms of livery/logos/time period (hazard warning flashes etc)? I cannot see any livery differences in the artwork* or mentioned in the descriptions so presume they just differ in the running numbers, but would be helpful to know as I want the most recent version if there is one.

*one wagon appears to have a red panel on the side where the others all appear to be black.

72A98177-2AA4-4232-928B-F4FC443DE032.png

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Add image

Saw these at GETS this morning.  They look great (apart from the EPs being in a hideous green), and they are a better price than the Bachmann FNAs, though you do have to buy them in pairs.  Plus the working tail light - what's not to like? 

That is, apart from they'll show up my kit-built ones!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, McC said:

All just individual running numbers. The wagons haven’t received any other time specific changes. 

Like the older FNA wagons do the remove the hazzard dimonds when these are running unloaded or are they a constant fixture regardless of load?

Either way a great addition and a perfect excuse to vist the site and fire the ballast wagons into the basket as well!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I read that these have that these will have rotating axles boxes. What has accurascale learnt from a retailers locomotive offering, in order to prevent these from falling out?

Those were plastic glued to a metal wheel. Are these part of the bogie assembly that are keyed or splined to the wheel axles, rather than glued on?

Not a criticism, just interested to know how moving axles boxes have been refined, since a previous model.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, CoBoLoco said:

I read that these have that these will have rotating axles boxes. What has accurascale learnt from a retailers locomotive offering, in order to prevent these from falling out?

Those were plastic glued to a metal wheel. Are these part of the bogie assembly that are keyed or splined to the wheel axles, rather than glued on?

Not a criticism, just interested to know how moving axles boxes have been refined, since a previous model.

Thanks

Our A Class Irish locomotive came with rotating axle boxes, as have our Tara mines wagons, and Keg, Fertiliser and container flat ranges in our Irish ranges without a single return or issue (some 60k+ vehicles). We've never had any issue with the technique or achieving reliable running and fidelity. HTH!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoBoLoco said:

What has accurascale learnt from a retailers locomotive offering, in order to prevent these from falling out?

In fairness, that was all down to a moulding error which misaligned the bogie outers from the bogie and axles, so actually whilst an annoying problem to us to solve probably quite simple for a manufacturer to.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2022 at 18:50, Ruairidh Munro said:

If the covers are posable (Posable and removable hood for operational interest) then it would be great if they also did a seperate flask model.

We'll certainly look at the options.

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

• Like 9