Accurascale Selects The Nuclear Option; Modern FNA-D Nuclear Flask Wagons In OO/4mm

• RMweb Gold

Received today direct from Accurascale - very very nice indeed :)

IMG_9091.jpeg.d357c65521f7c7e131893ae96de33241.jpeg

IMG_9092.jpeg.be08adfff55c444a3eab22727fbece10.jpeg

IMG_9093.jpeg.bcb3ce56fd929b5787fb87b16d44d393.jpeg

IMG_9094.jpeg.84a8f82d73b3a5ba85faa63ad23b1caf.jpeg

IMG_9095.jpeg.dd845be3071e4d801fdaa2cdff9ed3c3.jpeg

IMG_9096.jpeg.8a7568b5c93a24dfb71738865f8de6ac.jpeg

IMG_9097.jpeg.4f6977f117e565b596f1f1dc84445813.jpeg

One of the wagons is fitted with an operational tail light that is activated by a magnetic wand - supplied in the box by Accurascale.  I waved the wand as per the instructions with increasing franticness but the light refused to illuminate.

The light is battery operated.  Removing the hood assembly revealed the reason - batteries not included.

IMG_9099.jpeg.8bdd7f1f93ccdf827ed8b71f69ceb11b.jpeg

IMG_9100.jpeg.89841594703399564868ee28925b75e9.jpeg

I have now ordered some suitable batteries online.

I fitted the buffer beam screw link coupling and hose details.  Removing the spring loaded coupling housing makes the detail fit and look better.  I had to drill out the holes for the detail parts as they were smaller than the lugs on the parts that are supposed to fit into them.

Looking forward to fitting the batteries and finally getting the wand to work its magic.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

The container lid is fiddly to remove (spread the white hooks on either side and pull) in order to fit a couple of CR927 batteries. 

But rotating axle covers that aren't wonky and don't fall off - superb!

Also fantastic levels of printed decoration. 

Top marks to Accurascale. 

Jon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The light is battery operated.  Removing the hood assembly revealed the reason - batteries not included.

Thanks, Darius, for this very informative review.  I had just assumed batteries would be included with the FNAs as my Accurascale HYA and PTA wagons came complete with batteries.   No problem though as the CR927 is very cheap to buy and I have ordered a pack of 10 on eBay.  Perhaps one of the Accurascale crew can advise us whether the CR927 is also suitable for use in the  HYA/IIA and PTA wagons.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 2

Just as an addition to this folks. Make sure that you order the LITHIUM type ones as these WILL NOT leak if left in. Any other type......you may risk battery leakage if left in for long periods of time. 

just a heads up for you all 👍👍

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

no one stuck the legs of a green LED over a watch battery and ran them with the lid positioned slightly open for the authentic green glow yet... my pack arrived today, stunning wagons but lets be honest did we expect anything less from Accurascale 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Got my pack B today to accompany my pack A. 

absolutely blown away with these Patrick, Fran et al. 

another Accurascale triumph but ive come

to expect nothing less now. The bar has been set well and truly in concrete. 

well done chaps. 

Edited by Krieghoff
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My Pack C pair arrived yesterday.   Living within an hour's drive of Carlisle, I had bought four Bachmann FNAs when these were first released some years ago.  I recently sold a pair to make way for my pair of Accurascale FNA-Ds.  Having both types  has allowed comparison.  The Bachmann model was state of the art and received wide acclaim when first released but the new Accurascale models take detail many stages further.  Accurascale enhancements over the older Bachmann which I have already spotted include the heavier diecast base, sprung buffers, rotating axle boxes, grill detail on the decking, side details including more lettering and of course the flashing tail light.   37423 Spirit of the Lakes took the FNA-Ds cautiously down my branch line this morning and if you have one minute and forty seconds to spare you can enjoy the ride from this short video.   See if you can spot a member of the Accurascale Survey Team perched on the roof of a platelayer's hut on the left hand side as the train comes out of the first tunnel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I assume the alternative approach of pick-up from the track and off/on control via a DCC accessory decoder was considered but ruled out as overkill/too expensive?

Probably had enough of that after the TPE pick up issues,lets just keep it simple eh.........:)

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

Mine and my Littlemans packs arrived today. They are gorgeous and cant wait to be able to run them.  Thank you Accurascale Team for yet another great value for Money Product.

Mucous Gracias All 

Trailrage

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just unboxed my wagon and fitted batteries as per video and light does not work

any one else had issues. Brand new batteries and tested ok so I know it is not the batteries. 
my other question is how the hell do you get the batteries out?

3 hours ago, 47007stratford said:

Just unboxed my wagon and fitted batteries as per video and light does not work

any one else had issues. Brand new batteries and tested ok so I know it is not the batteries. 
my other question is how the hell do you get the batteries out?

Are you sure you've got the batteries the right way around? Fitted mine the other day with no problem at all. The light started working straight away without the wand. Needed it to turn them off! Use a small flat blade screw drivers to push in and out.

• RMweb Premium

Hi  Tony

rechecked batteries and definitely the correct way round. Managed to remove the batteries using a screwdriver and pliers. Checked the voltage of the batteries again and all ok, but I did change them anyway. Put the new batteries in and worked this time. I’m not sure I would like to take the batteries out very often due to lack of access. Perhaps something Accurascale could look into in future releases. At least they don’t have to be send back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47007stratford said:

Hi  Tony

rechecked batteries and definitely the correct way round. Managed to remove the batteries using a screwdriver and pliers. Checked the voltage of the batteries again and all ok, but I did change them anyway. Put the new batteries in and worked this time. I’m not sure I would like to take the batteries out very often due to lack of access. Perhaps something Accurascale could look into in future releases. At least they don’t have to be send back.

So the batteries were good and the vehicle is good, which should work.  Suggests either not inserted properly or something caused the original batteries not to make contact - perhaps a piece of cellophane wrapping or similar insulator got slipped in un-noticed ?

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So the batteries were good and the vehicle is good, which should work.  Suggests either not inserted properly or something caused the original batteries not to make contact - perhaps a piece of cellophane wrapping or similar insulator got slipped in un-noticed ?

My eye sight is not great but no that bad that I would not see a piece of cellophane so No idea why it did not work so possibly a bad connection. Having inserted and removed the batteries I would say that it is a Very fiddly design, more so for removing batteries and inserting them. Overall still a great wagon.