Accurascale Selects The Nuclear Option; Modern FNA-D Nuclear Flask Wagons In OO/4mm

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Funny you should bring that up Fran,  I thought about it before ordering.  For what it's worth I only wanted one pack, decided A would probably sell out first and ordered pack C although all were still available at the time.  It's rather like calling your company AAA so that it's the first one in Yellow Pages.

Do you produce more of pack A than the others, and if not should you - so that you don't miss out on potential orders from those who decide late in the day they want a complete set?

On a different matter I don't like trains with tail lamps where they don't belong - far too many layouts at shows have locos hauling a train  with the loco exhibiting its rear red lamp.   Is the tail lamp on these pairs removable without surgery and replaceable if one changes one's mind?  If removable complete with its battery, can it be fixed to the rear of another train?  I do appreciate the technical difficulties of doing so.

Hi Michael,

We usually produce the same amount per packs and the FNA will be the same here. So, one wont be more "limited" than the other etc. 

As for the tail light, it would take some modelling butchery to remove the whole set up with the battery mech etc. The lamps again could be removed with some modelling, but I doubt they could be reinstated. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 19:59, TomScrut said:

88003 6D88 Burn 22.04.2020

Now you're doing the wagon, you need to do a new loco to pull them too 😬

When I was a boy I would not have believed that heart transplantation would become possible or that man woud land on the moon.  But on a smaller scale there have been some other remarkable advances in my lifetime  - when I first got into modelling it wasn't feasible to generate realistic sound effects or steam/smoke effects on board. 

If I wanted to model this train using two packs of these wagons, I could want couple them with their tail lamps outermost, and I would want to remove the lamp on the leading wagon (not just switching it off), and in an ideal world on running round the train for the return it would be good if you could physically move the lamp from the last wagon to the new last wagon.  I've been doing that on 7mm scale rolling stock for 50 years, although the lamps are just unlit castings on simple brackets and it is fiddly even in that scale.  Whether it's yet a practical possibility in 4mm with working lights I don't know, but obviously not as big a technical challenge as getting passengers to board and alight from your coaching stock when the train stops at a platform! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Yes indeed, A has sold out with us, B isn't too far behind. C, D and E all healthy for now. It is a fascinating trend we always see with multiple packs of the same livery such as these FNA-Ds. A sells out first, and then the last pack number (in this case, pack E) is always last to go. Is that just a human conditioning we have with "pack A" or "pack 1"? 

Love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers!

Fran 

I was working on similar assumption that most people will start at 1/A or top left when they look at a page and go from there. A little social experiment on your next announcement/release (*cough* DRS class 88 please 😁), list them on your website in descending order and see if that breaks the trend? 

I Ordered packs C & D as the running numbers don't overly matter to me, as long as they are different, so went for those packs assuming 1 Pack A & B will be the most likely people order. 

Plus each pack has 1 wagon with a tail light so not having to buy a specific pack for just that feature like I did with the cut down HYA's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Yes indeed, A has sold out with us, B isn't too far behind. C, D and E all healthy for now. It is a fascinating trend we always see with multiple packs of the same livery such as these FNA-Ds. A sells out first, and then the last pack number (in this case, pack E) is always last to go. Is that just a human conditioning we have with "pack A" or "pack 1"? 

Cheers!

Fran 

An interesting analogy Fran. Speaking from my own experience, i think people naturally want to go for the 'First' in a new release. The alphabet starts with 'A'.......the lowest numeral but the FIRST is '1'. I genuinely believe that people are predisposed/conditioned (call it what you want) to going for the lower numbers first. There must be a psychological reason as why else would almost all 'A' and '1' packs sell out first !

either way, no matter which pack one goes for, they are all superb mirror images of the real thing. 

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Michael,

We usually produce the same amount per packs and the FNA will be the same here. So, one wont be more "limited" than the other etc. 

As for the tail light, it would take some modelling butchery to remove the whole set up with the battery mech etc. The lamps again could be removed with some modelling, but I doubt they could be reinstated. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Is there a wand to make the container glow in the dark..................

• Funny 3

22 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

When I was a boy I would not have believed that heart transplantation would become possible or that man woud land on the moon.  But on a smaller scale there have been some other remarkable advances in my lifetime  - when I first got into modelling it wasn't feasible to generate realistic sound effects or steam/smoke effects on board. 

If I wanted to model this train using two packs of these wagons, I could want couple them with their tail lamps outermost, and I would want to remove the lamp on the leading wagon (not just switching it off), and in an ideal world on running round the train for the return it would be good if you could physically move the lamp from the last wagon to the new last wagon.  I've been doing that on 7mm scale rolling stock for 50 years, although the lamps are just unlit castings on simple brackets and it is fiddly even in that scale.  Whether it's yet a practical possibility in 4mm with working lights I don't know, but obviously not as big a technical challenge as getting passengers to board and alight from your coaching stock when the train stops at a platform! 

There are the Bachmann coaches. A tail light can be fitted, either oil or battery. They can be replaced by an empty lamp iron. The light can be steady for oil or flashing for battery. Quite an impressive achievement but you pay for it! I’m waiting for the day when some cunning manufacturer works out how to provide removable lamps for steam head codes which are lit. Perhaps a live lamp iron isolated from the chassis with a return through the latter. Meantime, I run my locos in daylight. No problem for disc head code diesels. Fit an open or closed disc over each light and you can choose the code you want.

Why not? Some time ago, Bachmann’s Class 90s prompted me to wonder on these pages if it would be possible to power cooling fans from servo motors, linked to the sound of the fans. It turns out that Bachmann had been thinking along those lines too.

As for passengers, Hornby in the Pre-Kohler era experimented with automatic opening coach doors but abandoned the idea partly because of complexity and partly because of the difficulty of controlling which side the doors should open. It would have been  a mechanical device, analogous to the operating mail coach.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

As for passengers, Hornby in the Pre-Kohler era experimented with automatic opening coach doors but abandoned the idea partly because of complexity and partly because of the difficulty of controlling which side the doors should open. It would have been  a mechanical device, analogous to the operating mail coach.

A mechanical device like the mail coach isn't going to cut it.  Some years ago I saw an impressive DMU or EMU modified by a MERG member with an electronically operated door mechanism  (though if memory serves he only did one side), and of course the yellow Doors warning light at cantrail level.  The problem with doing in RTR is more how to design a mechanism discreet enough to still have good coach interior detail; such a mechanism having to be adaptable and capable of being fitted to various different carriage styles and sizes.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, TangerineWizards said:

Is there any new update on these? I’m not sure I’ve seen livery samples around yet.

Well the place to look, Accurascale’s project status page, says in tooling. 

Roy

Our FNA Wagons Have Arrived And Are Now In Stock!

FNAlocorear.jpg.41986ff42a1435e07c86be5ddd67210d.jpg

Great news! Our FNA nuclear flask wagons have arrived in stock! Our latest current era wagon project was announced at the 2022 Great Electric Train Show last October and has arrived in Q3 of 2023 as per the initial announcement.

901190341web.jpg.ff329929c16212ae2a505cc3bf090c2e.jpg

Created with the assistance of W.H Davis, the builders of the prototype wagons, our FNA model is the latest in a growing line of nuclear flask wagons, alongside our monster KUA wagons and our various nuclear loads for our lovely little PFA wagons.

9004web.jpg.37ce9eb3a35bbba48dbecaa0fadf700b.jpg

With an unbeatable specification featuring diecast chassis, rotating axle caps, working tail lamps (on one wagon per twin pack) a wealth of separately applied plastic and etched metal parts and an array of printed warning labels, our FNA wagons offer exceptional value for money at £74,95 per twin pack, and of course 10% off when you buy two packs or more.

BradwellsPoint3.jpg.af05db2c679f8f492e0d13bc7d87c15a.jpg

As you can see when we took the pre-production models out for a spin on the wonderful "Bradwells Point", they make for an excellent short current era freight movement and also look great behind our modernised Class 37s.

We are currently breaking down the pallets after their sea voyage and counting the wagons into stock. They will be checked this afternoon and shipping will commence from tomorrow (Wednesday)

Fancy some? Check out your local stockist, or order yours below from the limited remaining stock!

Order yours today: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/fna-d-new-generation-nuclear-flask-carrier

90169002web.jpg.219735a597e6e0e43d87a43d7d3dba56.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They look nice, and interesting to see no overlapping running numbers with the other FNA-D.

one could have 18 unique numbers… though I cannot imagine why !!!

Go for 10

20308 20309

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

They look nice, and interesting to see no overlapping running numbers with the other FNA-D.

one could have 18 unique numbers… though I cannot imagine why !!!

And here's the other 8:

37423 Pinxton 14/3/19

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

On 20/02/2023 at 10:05, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

......Bit like passengers always wanting to use the same door on trains.....

Sure there is a psychology behind it.... 

• Agree 1

On 20/02/2023 at 10:53, Michael Hodgson said:

Do you produce more of pack A than the others, and if not should you - so that you don't miss out on potential orders from those who decide late in the day they want a complete set?

On a different matter I don't like trains with tail lamps where they don't belong - far too many layouts at shows have locos hauling a train  with the loco exhibiting its rear red lamp.   Is the tail lamp on these pairs removable without surgery and replaceable if one changes one's mind?  If removable complete with its battery, can it be fixed to the rear of another train?  I do appreciate the technical difficulties of doing so.

Yes, the curse of the intermediate taillamp.  Technically its wrong (and I have reported them on a number of occasions), but for the sake of a few mm on a model I don't let it worry me.    I would sooner have the ability to have a flashing taillamp on both ends, as I doubt its added to the cost. 

What's worse - a taillamp or no taillamp? 

Rather than drastic surgery, have you thought of simply covering it over by making a small hood, painted either the wagon colour or black.  Between a loco and wagon then, its hardly going to be noticeable or something people are hardly going to see! Or if you weather your stock, its an opportunity to dull it down considerably. 

The other idea is if you want 4 with only one taillamp is either buy another pack and sell the extra tail lamp fitted ones on.....sure there are some folks who would just like one! 

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2023 at 10:05, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran 

So I ordered pack A and B today specifically because I thought they would sell out first, and gives me time to consider the rest :-)

If I bought D and E and the others sold out, then i’ve missed the boat.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

So I ordered pack A and B today specifically because I thought they would sell out first, and gives me time to consider the rest :-)

If I bought D and E and the others sold out, then i’ve missed the boat.

Yes, the is the logic I used when not buying everything in one go. Buy the most popular first. Recently, with the various payment staging options now available I tend to order everything in one go.

• Informative/Useful 1