Incident near petrill bridge

Just seen on Facebook that there has been a derailment at petrill bridge south of Carlisle. Apparently points failed and the back 7 wagons have derailed, 2 have ended up in the river and 1 apparently has ended up in the yard of a b&q. Apparently it was 6c00 cement train to clitheroe and 66739 was the loco. 

cheers Craig 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Craig1989 said:

Just seen on Facebook that there has been a derailment at petrill bridge south of Carlisle. Apparently points failed and the back 7 wagons have derailed, 2 have ended up in the river and 1 apparently has ended up in the yard of a b&q. Apparently it was 6c00 cement train to clitheroe and 66739 was the loco. 

cheers Craig 

Train was loaded 6C00 from Clitheroe to Carlisle. Driver OK.

Edited by newbryford
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

cheers Craig 

Landed in B&Q ?

At least it landed in the right place, are they going to have a cement sale ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Looking at photos of the derailment you can see why Accurascale put so much detail underneath their wagons.

The Bachmann JPA (of the same type involved) is exceedingly well detailed underneath.

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it,  emergency services wear their normal yellow Hi-vis to distinguish them from railway staff.  This was explained to me when some of my colleagues were carrying out archaeological work inside the railway boundary prior to the realignment of Northam Junction.  They had to be issued orange gear instead of our usual Highways grade yellow because they weren't emergency services.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, petethemole said:

As I understand it,  emergency services wear their normal yellow Hi-vis to distinguish them from railway staff.  This was explained to me when some of my colleagues were carrying out archaeological work inside the railway boundary prior to the realignment of Northam Junction.  They had to be issued orange gear instead of our usual Highways grade yellow because they weren't emergency services.

Although a while since I retired as our local authority Emergency Planning Officer (2008) I can confirm that colour distinction for hi-viz applied then. Obviously I can’t confirm if it still does.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hi Jim

That just brings up the home page.

It did say they were investigating it and that one of the derailed wagons had false flanges worn into the wheelsets. Reports elsewhere that it ran from Culgaith with the brakes locked up on one wagon, so it'll be very interesting to see the final report. Not the first time that's happened.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, 5944 said:

It did say they were investigating it and that one of the derailed wagons had false flanges worn into the wheelsets. Reports elsewhere that it ran from Culgaith with the brakes locked up on one wagon, so it'll be very interesting to see the final report. Not the first time that's happened.

There is a pic somewhere, showing a big flat on one of the wheels of the wagon upside down in the river.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, russ p said:

Why when it all orange for all staff and PPE does that copper think is OK to stand in the 4ft with no PPE and non compliant HV

The yellow hi-vis tactical vest is standard PPE for BTP officers and has been for decades now. They stopped wearing orange hi-vis in the mid 1990s.

In any case the police officer will have been placed in that spot on scene guarding duty by their operational commander (he won’t have just decided to stand in the four foot next to the derailed vehicles of his own accord) and the railway there was totally shut with no risk of being struck by a train movement. The colour of the hi-vis vest he’s wearing is academic in those circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1