Unrebuilt West Country

ATME

11 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

i'm quite happy with the 'current' one, but I would expect an all new one in the next 5 years purely on the basis they're working their way through the x Sanda Kan toolings reworking them.

Indeed,

I remember speaking to Simon Kohler at one of the Hornby road -shows a few years back.

He openly stated that older tooled models (Sanda kan produced locos) throughout the range, will be subject to constant improvement going forward.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

@TomE Did make a reference over on the N Gauge Forum this morning that this isn't a N gauge CAD

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/Dapol-release-new-west-country-battle-of-britain-cad-images

Would be an odd choice for a TT entry given Hornby could turn them out quite quickly themselves, so is this OO?

Maybe Tom could add some more detail as to what he believes and why

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@TomE Did make a reference over on the N Gauge Forum this morning that this isn't a N gauge CAD

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/Dapol-release-new-west-country-battle-of-britain-cad-images

Would be an odd choice for a TT entry given Hornby could turn them out quite quickly themselves, so is this OO?

£207 for an N Gauge loco? I’d rather pay the extra £20 for a loco twice the size I don’t need a magnifying glass to see! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Take a close look at the wheels, specifically the flanges. If that is N Gauge those wheels are more like 2mm Finescale standard. Compare to the Mogul CAD.

The finesse of the motion, and the appearance of the fixings. They are more or less identical to the OO Manor.

There is no N Gauge NEM pocket on the front bogie and far too much detail to accommodate one in this area, Again, compare to the Mogul (and why include it on the Mogul CAD but remove it from the Light Pacific CAD?) 

The overall finesse of the detail, the size of the rivet detail and handrails, thickness of visible wall edges/ends. The amount of detail present. Those cylinder draincock pipes, in N Gauge, don’t think so if you want to get it round 2nd radius curves!

The more I examine them, the less and less I’m certain that is CAD for an N Gauge model, as much as I hope it is because it would certainly be one of, if not the best steam locomotives ever produced in N based on that CAD.

I could be entirely wide of the mark, in which case I'll happily hold up my hands and say I was wrong, but when you look at the N Gauge Mogul CAD in comparison, there is just something about that Light Pacific that doesn't look right to my eyes for N Gauge.  

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TomE said:

Take a close look at the wheels, specifically the flanges. If that is N Gauge those wheels are more like 2mm Finescale standard. Compare to the Mogul CAD.

The finesse of the motion, and the appearance of the fixings. They are more or less identical to the OO Manor.

There is no N Gauge NEM pocket on the front bogie and far too much detail to accommodate one in this area, Again, compare to the Mogul (and why include it on the Mogul CAD but remove it from the Light Pacific CAD?) 

The overall finesse of the detail, the size of the rivet detail and handrails, thickness of visible wall edges/ends. The amount of detail present. Those cylinder draincock pipes, in N Gauge, don’t think so if you want to get it round 2nd radius curves!

The more I examine them, the less and less I’m certain that is CAD for an N Gauge model, as much as I hope it is because it would certainly be one of, if not the best steam locomotives ever produced in N based on that CAD.

I could be entirely wide of the mark, in which case I'll happily hold up my hands and say I was wrong, but when you look at the N Gauge Mogul CAD in comparison, there is just something about that Light Pacific that doesn't look right to my eyes for N Gauge.  

Tom. 

Dapol's own web site says that it's an N gauge model. It may just be so much better than those that have gone before!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TomE said:

Tom. 

Is that CAD of a model or CAD of the prototype scaled down though? (If you see what I mean?) I suspect the latter. i.e. it's the starting point for designing the model, not the end point.

18 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Dapol's own web site says that it's an N gauge model. It may just be so much better than those that have gone before!

Well they have done Manors up against Accurascale, so why not Bulleids up against Hornby and for Dapol it makes sense to do the development in two (or three) scales.  The N gauge one will sell, an OO gauge one would too and Hornby might be caught out with all their focus on TT, an O gauge one would be quite magnificent.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Is that CAD of a model or CAD of the prototype scaled down though? (If you see what I mean?) I suspect the latter. i.e. it's the starting point for designing the model, not the end point.

I do, and I guess that's a possibility. Just seems strange they would do that for the LP but show obviously N Gauge CAD for the Mogul which is a more recent announcement. 

Like I say, could be wrong, but I look at the CAD and I see OO model, not N Gauge. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2022 at 09:24, spamcan61 said:

i'm quite happy with the 'current' one, but I would expect an all new one in the next 5 years purely on the basis they're working their way through the x Sanda Kan toolings reworking them.

The clues are out there, if you know where to look.

tweet tweet.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2022 at 21:34, Going Spare said:

R30114 34046 Braunton was originally scheduled for 4th quarter release but has been put back to next Summer.

This has now arrived but it appears that the insides of the smoke deflectors have once again been painted green. I thought the insides were always black.

I bought the new Hornby Braunton, to be honest I was very disappointed. Considering its retail cost of about £260 (I got mine cheaper because of preordering) it had none of the finer features of other locos costing this much, no improved drawbar as per P2 or Sir Nigel Gresley, no smokebox flicker, all it had was a new 21 pin DCC socket. This loco is virtually the same price as the new P2 and 9F, now I know they are desirable locos but there is no comparison. It is also probably one of the cheapest loco to make (simple valve gear, simple body).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I bought the new Hornby Braunton, to be honest I was very disappointed. Considering its retail cost of about £260 (I got mine cheaper because of preordering) it had none of the finer features of other locos costing this much, no improved drawbar as per P2 or Sir Nigel Gresley, no smokebox flicker, all it had was a new 21 pin DCC socket. This loco is virtually the same price as the new P2 and 9F, now I know they are desirable locos but there is no comparison. It is also probably one of the cheapest loco to make (simple valve gear, simple body).

It certainly is a remarkable price for what you get even relative to other models in the Hornby range never mind what other manufacturers can offer at that price point. No one else makes a Bullied tho so if you want a RTR one its either pay this or get on the 2nd hand market where depending on livery they seem to go for between £75 and £150  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

remarkable price

One way to phrase it.

Someone(*) did say that the WXC/BoBs were more expensive than the 'Smoothed Merchant Navies because they were designed first, and they learnt how to make a similar loco, but easier to build in the factory so that the unit cost can be less for the MNs

(*) RMWeb or maybe on the Hornby forums.but was also possibly just a guess...

Also - look at the RRP for Dapol's new N gauge WC/BoB models - £223, cough!

Edited by PeterStiles

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It certainly is a remarkable price for what you get even relative to other models in the Hornby range never mind what other manufacturers can offer at that price point. No one else makes a Bullied tho so if you want a RTR one its either pay this or get on the 2nd hand market where depending on livery they seem to go for between £75 and £150  

Yes I have bought a few second hand ones. The latest Winston Churchill was really expensive, mainly I think because it was built in conjunction with the National Railway Museum so I bought the previous model which surprisingly is not that different to the latest one. I am really good at adding DCC sockets so I got a Winston Churchill at about half the price of a new one and by the time I converted it, not much different. You are right that is why Hornby gets away with, it is just like its prices for the HST.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, ColinB said:

Most disappointing is that despite being early emblem, Braunton has been modelled with the boiler-pressure reduced, and thus the safety-valves in the rear position, placing it post-1955. Rules it out for me. 

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, ColinB said:

It surprises me, given that the Rebuilt chassis is more modern, and DCC capable, that Hornby have not retrofitted it to the unrebuilt shell, to at lease give it a lease of life ala Bachmann V2, V3, Ivatt etc. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

It surprises me, given that the Rebuilt chassis is more modern, and DCC capable, that Hornby have not retrofitted it to the unrebuilt shell, to at lease give it a lease of life ala Bachmann V2, V3, Ivatt etc. 

The valve gear etc is rather different, I believe. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul_sterling said:

Different Beast with differing requirements. Simple as that.

Modified (not Rebuilt despite us all calling them that) has the need for 'Wallcharts' Valve Gear fittings. The original Spams do not.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for invading several times.

However, decent Spams and Modified examples are regular items on decent Auction Houses Sites. 

despite 25% to 30% Commissions there are bargains to be had I can assure you. 

I once got a Modified Packet that had some damage, for £30 + £8 commission and then £12 Postage. DCC ready and only needed one side Valve Gear replacing (£13 from Lendons of Cardiff). I was lucky with that one, probably because it was 'broken',  but other running samples I've seen elsewhere were going for over £100!

Average selling price for Modifieds at Auction is around 70£ and Spams a bit higher.

Considering the RRP for smart pre used or ex shop, you can still get good bargains, especially if you attend the Auction, thus saving postage.

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 30368 said:

This old bird (1969/70) Hornby WC/BB shell is under all this re-working. Total cost about £120 (Comet Chassis etc) and some loving tlc.

IMG_8248.JPG.ad894d1f5a19a810e80f3df01508c79c.JPG

IMG_8250.JPG.5ffafa8dca17d88be686292090a0d7f2.JPG

Kind regards,

Strangely Richard I have:

just boxed up the U1 AND;

this morning, tested out some new Flat Matt Acrylic Varnish on a really old Hornby Spam Body.

Why am I telling you this? Well, the Varnish really showed up the Rivets, even on the plastic bodyside, BUT not as well shown as with your Brass work. Splendid 'Can' old bean (see what I did there?).

Phil

• Thanks 1