Unrebuilt West Country

ATME

Am I correct in saying there will be a new unrebuilt West Country released soon? Not sure by whom, but assume Hornby? If not, How do I find out which of the previous incarnations are the DCC ready versions so I can purchase a secondhand loco?

thanks

• Agree 1

Are you talking about ‘oo’? There’s nothing been announced about a new model in this scale, but any model of the newest Hornby tooling should be DCC ready - depending upon the specific mode you are after they can be picked up for reasonable second hand prices 

If Hornby was planning a new one soon then it would almost certainly be announced in January at the earliest. Might be worth waiting until then unless you are in a hurry.

The "recent" Hornby tooling is after all over 15 years old and starting to show its age.

Apart from the Platinum Jubilee purple version I think this was the last one they did, and I think it sold out pretty quickly.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337752/hornby_r3618_class_7p6f_rebuilt_battle_of_britain_4_6_2_34050_royal_observer_corps_in_br_gree/stockdetail

`

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

If Hornby was planning a new one soon then it would almost certainly be announced in January at the earliest. Might be worth waiting until then unless you are in a hurry.

The "recent" Hornby tooling is after all over 15 years old and starting to show its age.

Apart from the Platinum Jubilee purple version I think this was the last one they did, and I think it sold out pretty quickly.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337752/hornby_r3618_class_7p6f_rebuilt_battle_of_britain_4_6_2_34050_royal_observer_corps_in_br_gree/stockdetail

But the OP specified unrebuilt. 

• Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But how can something be unrebuilt? Always was a daft term....

Jason

According to the BBC (they should know…hmmm) the prefix un means not so I guess it is correct terminology…sort of.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Oops. My point still stands as that also needs a retool and is probably due since nearly all the big 4-6-2 and 4-6-0s have now been retooled or updated.

But how can something be unrebuilt? Always was a daft term....

Jason

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

C'mon ............. they're Spam Cans !

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Original Bulleid and Rebuilt Bulleid surely?

I wonder how many more decades this debate will persist.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I found a second hand R3115 “Exeter” fitted the bill for me. It is DCC ready, is un-rebuilt, and has the articulated rear pony. I strongly dislike the fixed rear pony with flangeless wheels. The fact that I was brought up in Exeter, did my train spotting there and saw this loco there did not, of course, influence my decision at all! 😁😁

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, JST said:

I strongly dislike the fixed rear pony with flangeless wheels. 

Each to their own - but although the wheels might look a tad better for having flanges that totally non protypical huge gap in the lower firebox / ashpan area which is needed to make the wheels able to pivot looks even worse.

• Agree 6

What always surprises me is the Hornby pricing policy of the current airsmooth W/C and BofB, compared to the far superior in every way, newly tooled Merchant Navy class.

I can't see it being too long before someone brings out a new version up to current standards!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I can't see it being too long before someone brings out a new version up to current standards!

Given how long Dapol have been working on their "n" gauge version... I *can* see it being Too Long.

4 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Don't they run with the flanged Wheels on radius 4 and above? My Duchesses and A4's do. 

Yes. Mine do. 

I'm afraid if you want to run massive engines around train set curves then compromises are a must. Either unprototypical pony trucks flailing about like Bobby Charlton's combover* or you need flangeless wheels.

IMO the fixed truck is by far the best solution.

If you want to change it to something finer ISTR Comet and RT Models do replacement pony trucks for Bulleids.

*Change to Donald Trump if you can't remember Sir Bobby 

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, JST said:

I found a second hand R3115 “Exeter” fitted the bill for me. 

Wasn’t Exeter the one that sold out almost instantly and everyone was going nuts over for whatever reason? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Does it have to be Dapol?

That's now what I meant.

What I meant was "someone else" has been trying to produce one (albeit in N) and it's taken yonks. Seriously long yonks. No one pulls a locomotive out of a hat quickly, plus I strongly suspect if there's a hint that Someone Else is wanting to produce a WC/BoB model Hornby will get in to Fighting Terrier Mode...

57 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Wasn’t Exeter the one that sold out almost instantly and everyone was going nuts over for whatever reason? 

From memory, that was on the first run.

The Exeter WC was seriously short in supply from the Chinese manufacturer, leaving retailers short and customers with unfulfilled pre-orders 

Because of this, Hornby announced/released a second batch shortly afterwards.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

That's now what I meant.

What I meant was "someone else" has been trying to produce one (albeit in N) and it's taken yonks. Seriously long yonks. No one pulls a locomotive out of a hat quickly, plus I strongly suspect if there's a hint that Someone Else is wanting to produce a WC/BoB model Hornby will get in to Fighting Terrier Mode...

TBH,neither you nor I know what Hornby is planning.

I'd be very surprised if they are about to release a new W/C or BOB as they have two versions of the current model scheduled for Summer release in 2023.

It could be that they will scrap these models and produce a "surprise all new loco" for next year in the new model range.

Bachmann for example, are one such company, who only announce a loco just before release.

Time will tell, but I don't think the wait will be too long before someone picks up the baton!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1