Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan ES1 exclusive for Locomotion and Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

I suspect I'm going to regret asking this, but whats "the lympdik"

A bit of an inside joke between Porcy and I I'm afraid as we really don't know exactly what it was for.  In service there was a quite prominent box (which may, possibly, have been a fuse box) on the roof at one end which is missing from the model and can be seen in the photo I've linked to below.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-4G9B7jz/0/L/i-4G9B7jz-L.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, Legend said:

whats "the lympdik"

Cable connector. 26500/1 had five of these externally. Bolted busbar box for isolation and disconnect purposes.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If I could see the photo yes but I can't see any photo, all I get is this.

image.png.8db8405b7e52011bfc0be2f9b740cebf.png

Copy the link I put in my post and paste it in to your browser's address bar and the image will appear.

This is taken from the same angle as the photo I linked to:

NER BTH Class ES1 Bo-Bo Electric Shunter 1

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2022 at 11:57, Mallard60022 said:

Q fifty mini layouts of Trafalgar Yard/Quayside.

Brilliant, except for the fact I gave away my pre used EM Layout version Of T Yard, (made by a super Modeller in 36E) to the North Shields based Club, about ten years ago...ar$£.

I tried making the Kit from Mike Edge and wife. I almost succeeded but it were damn 'ard.

There is absolutely zero excuse for me getting this for Seaton Junction (LSWR)

P

Would that be Stephen Searson's layout as featured in Railway Modeler May 2004?  I've just come across that article as it is referred to in a retrospective of RM Cup winners in the new edition and it's mentioned that the layout was sold back to Tyneside.  The plan is a very clever representation of the section between Argyle St and New Bridge St, omitting the fast lines to save space.  Sketch below. 

Looking back at the georeferenced map linked on page 2 of this thread, there is a huge amount of potential operating interest here with sidings in all directions.  And light engines to and from Heaton for those that like the big stuff? Fifty mini layouts would be better than fifty more of those clay dries people insist on building.

Trafalgar_Yard_20221206.jpg.416a3d97948cf6f9ce7331ac766f1c9f.jpg

Edited by Flying Pig
Uploaded sketch unfinished..
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Arrived today from Rails

Tested (DC) on a short length of bridge track recently constructed. Smooth running / crawl so far.

Well packaged and no parts missing 🙂

DSC06932.JPG.478271f3997083087ee78cccef079ec7.JPG

DSC06933.JPG.4b8ec8794fdf0d2e584d3110fde6a3ff.JPG

DSC06936.JPG.ca6570aa02389c0f8d40bde09e0cb4a7.JPG

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've just ordered one from Rails, the LNER black one.  I understand that originally they had a bow collector mounted on one of the bonnets. For what years did they have the bow collector? 

The bow collector was replaced in 1908 so not for very long at all.

Edit - hadn't spotted that micklner had beaten me to it...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

Mine has arrived and first impressions are that it is a lovely little thing. It appears to be pretty accurate to the preserved example which means that there are a couple of issues for the version I bought but, as a model, it is very nice with some impressive details round the bogies in particular so first impressions are well done Heljan.

With a 16T wagon to give an idea of size (the wagon has been converted to P4 which is why it's not sat square on the rails).

IMG_3869.jpeg.14e666df98346aba0667a671e6a50a4f.jpeg

• Like 8

Cablights are on function F1 not F2 as in intructions.

Just received mine this afternoon.  Looks rather nice and all in order if a little fragile. 

I fitted a Zimo MX618N18 and found that the headlights are on F0 as in the instruction but that the cablights are on F1 and not F2 as written in the instructions  I did wonder why they had skipped F1 but they hadn't.  The Zimo chips also allows you to set up F3 for half-speed shunting and F4 to take inertia (acceleration and deceleration) on and off.

One thing I couldn't identify was the No.1 end (forwards) and No.2 end (reverse), not that it makes much difference.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, peterfgf said:

One thing I couldn't identify was the No.1 end (forwards) and No.2 end (reverse), not that it makes much difference.

A & B end on this electric.

Tampo printing should should have it marked on the solebar on the later liveried models. Lympdik for the later jobbies is at the B end. Oh dear... wheres the Zebedee spring?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

For those of a 'wider track persuasion' conversion will be a challenging though not impossible!

Handy phots . Thanks.

At least the collector shoe support looks like it's a separate moulding so that shouldn't be too difficult to alter for the later shoe position. Looking at the photo,  might it be be a split axle setup, on a 2mm axle, insulated by the final drive pinion?

I'll not be getting one till next week, if they haven't sold out. Guess I'll have to be waiting till then to find out. Mr Seymores 12 mm conducting wheels may be the way to go. 

P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

A & B end on this electric.

Tampo printing should should have it marked on the solebar on the later liveried models.

The relevant markings are on the solebar, certainly on the BT green one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'll not be getting one till next week, if they haven't sold out. Guess I'll have to be waiting till then to find out.

Are you coming to load tomorrow night as I'm going to bring mine along to give it a run on one of the other layouts.

• Like 1

Stuck in York (paradoxically) on a course AND going via Rails on Friday on the way back to Zummerset - looking forward to getting back and unpacking this little beauty (to me luv me 😁).

1st photo of it with 30+ Accurascale MGR hoppers in tow - anyone ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, johndon said:

Are you coming to load tomorrow night as I'm going to bring mine along to give it a run on one of the other layouts.

Should be. Hopefully getting picked up by the Sheffield Express. Barring that it's bus, bus, metro.

After a bit more perusal of the photographs it looks like the bogies follow standard Heljan practice in that the whole side-frame sits on spigots. Electrical pick up looks more like Bachmanns DMU arrangement with elect transmission via 1mm extensions to the axles.  I'll bring my hammers. We'll have it in bits in no time.  🙂

Must get back to painting the Q6.  (and doing the ironing).

• Like 2

To avoid stringing up the club layout, I was going to run mine behind a dead J of some nature as a 'works visit' special.   Not seen photos of an ES1 so.  A similar arrangement was published on the last page of Model Rail some years ago with a Class 71 being hauled to station.  Probably muster up a tool van for the spares.

• Like 2