Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Will this have an operational fan as well as the Class 31?

Why not bother reading the loco spec which clearly says yes?

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That last pic seems to be of the orange stripe-less Large Logo edition for Rails? If so, nice to see it get some publicity 🙂

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/03/2024 at 23:57, atom3624 said:

Will this have an operational fan as well as the Class 31?

Can this be switched on/off via dip switch settings on the DC only versions?

Al.

Hi atom3624,

They say a question is never a silly question, so hope this helps address the two you posed...

Accurascale's website does indeed say the 50 has an operational fan, as does the Class 31.

To clarify, the specifications for 'Common Features' state:

For the 50:  'Separately powered working radiator fan with different speed settings'

For the 31:  'All models feature a fully working, scale speed roof fan, that will run on DC and DCC., On DCC control, the fan speed is fully programmed to simulate accurate motion'

However, to answer your second, and I suspect the main point of your query, I have looked over Accurascale's website myself and cannot find any reference where it says that it can be disabled by DIP switches on DC or even DCC.  There is mention of it being controllable, including its speed but it appears to be in the context of DCC control.

My guess would be that they would cater for DC options with switches but that is just a guess, so...

@Accurascale Fran - Does the Class 50 have DIP switches that on DC operation allow the fan to be disabled/controlled?

Hope that helps and gets an answer from the people who know!

FYI - in the first 5 pages of this thread, the only reference to 'fan' appears to be people who are 'fans' of the real locos!

Cheers,

Ixion.

5 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Hope that helps and gets an answer from the people who know!

FYI - in the first 5 pages of this thread, the only reference to 'fan' appears to be people who are 'fans' of the real locos!

Cheers,

Ixion.

Its mentioned in the first post by Accurascale

A very fair and correct response from 97 403 - thank you.

We all have our 'off moments', both pushing some people's buttons and perhaps being more inconsiderate and impatient than they should on a forum.

Operational fans is a nice 'standard feature' to consider on these larger locomotives, but it's still not 100% clear which or how. 

Does it simply relate to 'DCC selectable' or can it be actuated whilst running on DC only?

The 'dip switch option' does seem to be the way forwards - presumably to limit 'spaghetti' inside an already complicated model.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Looking very good, although I hope the air horns in the headcode panel aren’t painted over like that in the production versions.

Edited by brushman47544
Getting fed up with autocorrect…

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Looking very good, although I hope the air horns in the headcode panel aren’t painted over like that in the production versions.

They will be fine,keep the faith,the futures bright with these guys on the case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Personally I'm not as sold on the fit of the roofs as they were a bit variable across the samples I saw at ally pally.  Also the body fit needs some work but there's plenty of time to fine tune for the production samples 

49 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Personally I'm not as sold on the fit of the roofs as they were a bit variable across the samples I saw at ally pally.  Also the body fit needs some work but there's plenty of time to fine tune for the production samples 

surely the point of the samples to get it right prior to production? If they wernt improving each time I’d be concerned..:

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I would imagine the air horn grills are an etched metal detail that wasn’t added in time before decoration. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, YT-1300 said:

Its mentioned in the first post by Accurascale

Hi YT-1300,

Thanks for your reply but to be honest I cannot see where @atom3624's 2nd question of whether the 'working radiator fan' can be disabled on a DC model, either by DIP switches or otherwise, is answered and certainly not in the first Accurascale post.

From the first Accurascale post, the nearest text I see is this:

'Our Class 50 is the culmination of over three years of development that began with a 3D laser scan of No. 50017 at the Great Central Railway in 2019. Building on our growing range of diesel and electric locomotives, the EE Type 4 features their most impressive specification yet, with our ground shaking twin-speaker set up, working radiator fan, flange squeal sensor, full lighting package that includes preservation era oddballs, engine room and cab lighting with auto off feature and eight cab configurations with illuminated driver’s control desk.'

Additionally, a quick check over the blog on their website and one or two specification lists for the models themselves also showed no answer to the original 2nd question.

Hopefully @Accurascale Fran can provide an answer - though I suspect busy from this weekend's show.

Thanks,

Ixion.

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2022 at 15:00, adb968008 said:

50041 just after re-railing 25/11/83 at Paddington

flickr url / not mine

Diesel Prototype 2, DP2

flckr url / not mine

i often wondered why the former, near end of life was repaired, whilst the latter at the start of its was not.

In both images, it seems the skin bought the damage, but the frame above the fuel tanks behind seems to hold strong

One is crumpled. One is dented.

On 17/03/2024 at 00:07, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The 50,s at Ally Pally.

IMG_0047[1].JPG

IMG_0048[1].JPG

IMG_0049[1].JPG

IMG_0053[1].JPG

IMG_0054[2].JPG

Wow - fantastic... and all crying out to be weathered! Nice clear view of the desk and cooker in the 50 006 shot, the cooker only needs a tea can and a pasty wrapped in tin foil for the full effect! On arrival at Padd we used to nip up to Mickey's Fish Bar in Praed Street for our supper and keep it warm on the cooker until the next empty stock move beckoned.

Overall impression - very nice indeed 😉

Who's going to buy an entire fleet of them I wonder...?

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 18/03/2024 at 02:15, woodenhead said:

Something for those who like a bit of dirty blue.

An hours audio of class 50s from the end of the 70s.

Lovely sound of the fans running at various speeds, a particularly load drone on the ones passing at full bore.

Neil.