Class 50, By Accurascale

In 1985 we visited the UK for the first time. The trains seemed huge to me at the time compared with what we had in New Zealand.

While waiting for a train just outside of London I remember 2 trains passing. One was an HST. The other I am not sure. What are the chances it was led by a Class 47 or Class 50? It definitely had a flat front and was all blue. Not much to go on, but I have always wondered what it was. 

EDIT: Our train was  heading into Paddington.

Edited by wairoa

3 minutes ago, wairoa said:

In 1985 we visited the UK for the first time. The trains seemed huge to me at the time compared with what we had in New Zealand.

While waiting for a train just outside of London I remember 2 trains passing. One was an HST. The other I am not sure. What are the chances it was led by a Class 47 or Class 50? It definitely had a flat front and was all blue. Not much to go on, but I have always wondered what it was.

Where were you waiting ? Class 47 could have been any other than really southern region.

50 was used out  of Waterloo to Exeter , but mainly west from Paddington on GWML towards reading, Swindon etc 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

50017 in late 80s NSE condition ideal for me. Just need a layout like this to go with it!

50017 OOC.jpg

And ideal for me also, have a newspaper train and engineering train waiting for it when it arrives.. hopefully they'll do a good job of it, my Hornby model can hopefully be retired and moved on

NL

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, rob D2 said:

Where were you waiting ? Class 47 could have been any other than really southern region. Class 50 would only be the line from Paddington west.

I wish I could remember the name of the station. I remember we definitely pulled into Paddington station in London. I think being 13 at the time I was still awe struck by the HST when the other train followed afterwards.   Unfortunately my step father who was from the UK and could have probably told me the name of the town at the time is now dead.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, wairoa said:

Do you remember which London station? It is distinct possibility.

• Like 1

Just now, IRC said:

Do you remember which London station? It is distinct possibility.

I don't remember which station we were leaving. However, we were catching the train to Paddington.  

1 minute ago, wairoa said:

I don't remember which station we were leaving. However, we were catching the train to Paddington.  

Could well have been then. 50’s were prevalent at Paddington and Waterloo and 47’s were everywhere! Could have been a class 31 I suppose, but doubtful if it was on a passenger train.

• Like 1

Just now, IRC said:

Could well have been then. 50’s were prevalent at Paddington and Waterloo and 47’s were everywhere! Could have been a class 31 I suppose, but doubtful if it was on a passenger train.

Thanks. I don't think it was a Class 31 as I remember it looking big and beefy. Seeing the HST followed by the large diesel pulling a passenger train totally floored me. I had never seen anything like them.  I was hooked!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks. I don't think it was a Class 31 as I remember it looking big and beefy. Seeing the HST followed by the large diesel pulling a passenger train totally floored me. I had never seen anything like them.  I was hooked!

No problem.

Cowley  47521 makes a good point in that in 1985, apart from 50007, all were in large logo (I think), so it was BR blue, likely to have been a class 47.

Good year 1985. It was the GWR 150th and loads of things going on and a 13 year old me was very excited. I digress though…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, ndg910 said:

Hmm, big red announcement either tomorrow or at Warley according to an email I've received... sorry I deleted it so cant remember now. I wonder if a Class 50 might be on the cards.... Have Accurascale trumped the Kohler brigade with some of their own mischief?

They have already said this is their normal pre-Warley announcement time so I don't think anyone is trying to one-up anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

An interesting choice of date for the announcement of a new model of the Class 50 - the 39th anniversary of 50041's near-death experience at Paddington!

As 'luck' would have it, that day I had to get from Swindon to Bristol for an important interview and the disruption caused by Bulwark's somewhat unconventional arrival in the capital that morning meant I very nearly didn't make it (but I did and it eventually led to me working for a company for 34 years 😀!)

By coincidence I've just received a copy of a new 'bookazine' which suggests that Bulwark's incident was in December (nope) and it was consequently the first one withdrawn (nope, it was repaired for a 6-figure sum - otherwise it couldn't have received NSE livery!) I hope the rest of the info is more accurate....

Judging from all the positive reactions I can't see this unfortunate anniversary having any bearing whatsoever on the success of this new model! Nice one!

• Like 3

• Tempfix

Good: very excited, just what the doctor ordered.

Bad: how is my son going to afford to buy this for me for next Christmas? He'll be 8 by then and probably too big to be a chimney-sweep.

Dilemma though, go for Dave or wait to see what the others are announced? Can only really justify one I don't already have (unless my wife can be distracted...)

Thank you chaps.

• Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

At 06:19 in the announcement video Gareth says "50014 Large Logo black roof, that may be subject to change". What does that mean please?

https://youtu.be/fpIfXNMC0Pk?t=376

Perhaps confirming a specific detail on the locomotive?  There may also  be the odd one with details that restrict it to a very limited time frame! You know how picky modellers can be! LOL!  Especially if you happen to have lived and breathed Class 50s in the 80s.  So glad behind the multiple working jumper there is the open flap, shame the side louvres are not motorised.  Whilst 'Marmite' to many - the one really good feature on the Hornby model is the opening doors - shunting around Exeter most were left open.....  Suppose opening roof hatches, engine detail and a 3D print of the 'Legendary' Mr. Woodhouse'  working his magic would have been the icing on the cake. Hoping, sorry praying that the sound for these is amazing.   Whilst obviously it needs a cold start recording, it definitely needs a hot engine to get the the proper throb of these girls!  And then there's the three distinct sounds - shunting/light engine, departure/acceleration and finally the throb of these beasts at speed tanking it along the mainline through the likes of Sonning Cutting.  Then of course there is the sound of these in as new state, which is where the 'Hoover', name came from ) See what I mean......

..... Or maybe upset someone who may end up with a few hundred 50042s to flog.  Never know what you might find at Margate Saturday Market. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, IRC said:

No problem.

Cowley  47521 makes a good point in that in 1985, apart from 50007, all were in large logo (I think), so it was BR blue, likely to have been a class 47.

Good year 1985. It was the GWR 150th and loads of things going on and a 13 year old me was very excited. I digress though…

Thanks for the info. Cowley does indeed make a good point.  Sounds like it was most probably a 47, not a 50 then.   I like them both so all good there :)   As we were going into Paddington there was an apple green steam engine running not very far off. Perhaps something to do with the GWR 150th? No coaches.  It looked similar to the LNER Flying Scotsman or a Princess Class (that may just be wishful remembering though.) I wonder if it may have been King  George V?

Anyway looking forward to these new 50s and plan on ordering one early next year. 

Edited by wairoa

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 37114 said:

I saw the large scale cab and my heart fluttered at the thought of Accurascale going into 7mm with a class 50 as well... Alas no.. I wish the Accurascale team well with this one and hope one day us 7mm modellers will be rewarded with a 7mm version of the 4mm range.

Yes please - an unrefurbished version is definitely required!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, letterspider said:

Amazing Accurscale were scanning Class 50s but this was still kept under the radar for 3 years. 

Perhaps we should be using Bellingcat to track the whereabouts of the team at all times?

Some of us knew…

They keep a tight lip in Ireland but loose tongues wag over here.

rumours were abound for years on this one.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I model the ECML during the late 70's/early 80's so have a licence to run these on test trains following refurbishment at Doncaster Works, but when I saw it was 50006 Neptune being modelled in blue it sealed it for me.  I will be able to re-create this scene at York on 17th October 1981.

The Deltic on the left is 55021 and is about come off the train, a special called The Minsterman, with 50006 replacing her to go onwards.  On the right is 55013 which took us home on the 18.14 to Kings Cross a little later.

R1-00717-0348.JPG

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

I model the ECML during the late 70's/early 80's so have a licence to run these on test trains following refurbishment at Doncaster Works, but when I saw it was 50006 Neptune being modelled in blue it sealed it for me.  I will be able to re-create this scene at York on 17th October 1981.

The Deltic on the left is 55021 and is about come off the train, a special called The Minsterman, with 50006 replacing her to go onwards.  On the right is 55013 which took us home on the 18.14 to Kings Cross a little later.

R1-00717-0348.JPG

A 'rose' between two 'thorns'.... 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2