Class 50, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Perhaps one day Accurascale will really surprise us and produce a model of a loco that nobody has done before? AFAIK they are the only manufacturer (apart from Cavalex, with only one loco so far) whose every model duplicates something previously done.

There are clearly a large number of extremely wealthy people on this list to whom the phrase "cost of living crisis" doesn’t have any relevance. Some years ago one of the proprietors of Rolling Stock told me that the (then) new Bachmann class 03 hasn't sold very well, because people thought the previous one (from 1980s tooling, remember) was good enough, but that the 2EPBs had done much better. Now the North-East isn't the wealthiest part of the country, but times were much better then than now…

I'm following the Ian Futers approach nowadays by only buying locos that fit my interests, so the only diesel locos in OO I'm likely to buy are those which would fit on a branch line in the Highlands. But I'm not interested in the 37 either, as the Bachmann ones I have will do for me. Not the current version, the previous one.

i'm glad you said it, i was going to but feared of been shunted out the door!

as is said on other threads, so many loco's to go for, why duplicate?

i'm sure it will be a great loco at a good price with the lessons learned from the deltic, but even so.

Edited by jonnyuk
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Yes definitely it was a regular working in the time table for a period.

50008 failed at Stafford on one occasion, I’ve a picture of 50041 at Piccadilly. several others did this working.

it came up from the West Country, the 50 did a regional to Stafford, took a late afternoon back south.

persisted quite late on too

I am not so sure that they were either diagrammed or regular workings to Manchester in the 80's or 90's . In the late 80's there was a M-S Paddington to Manchester Pic , that worked Padd-Pic , Pic -Stafford, then Stafford Paddington , it was booked for a 47 but did produce a 50 on occasions I never made it to or from Pic but had 007 from Wolvs on Saturday 30/01/88 (on the Stafford Padd part) and 50024 on Wednesday 10/02/88 from Stockport to Stafford  and Stafford Oxford (a points failure between Stockport and Pic meant I had to Leap at Stockport rather than get to Pic which was rather annoying , but I had already done 37053 from Carlisle to Warrington earlier that morning as the wires were down so not a bad day).

After the May 1990 timetable change 50's were rare on the Paddington Oxfords let alone going any further north. The Last working on a Padd- Oxford and Oxford Padd that I had (and as far as I know it was the last) was 50001 on 26/03/1991.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Perhaps one day Accurascale will really surprise us and produce a model of a loco that nobody has done before? AFAIK they are the only manufacturer (apart from Cavalex, with only one loco so far) whose every model duplicates something previously done.

There are clearly a large number of extremely wealthy people on this list to whom the phrase "cost of living crisis" doesn’t have any relevance. Some years ago one of the proprietors of Rolling Stock told me that the (then) new Bachmann class 03 hasn't sold very well, because people thought the previous one (from 1980s tooling, remember) was good enough, but that the 2EPBs had done much better. Now the North-East isn't the wealthiest part of the country, but times were much better then than now…

I'm following the Ian Futers approach nowadays by only buying locos that fit my interests, so the only diesel locos in OO I'm likely to buy are those which would fit on a branch line in the Highlands. But I'm not interested in the 37 either, as the Bachmann ones I have will do for me. Not the current version, the previous one.

Locos are all 'duplicates' but rolling stock is mostly not.

Also how do you class duplicates - the Deltic is the first accurate model, the Bachmann (and certainly Lima) model has seroius flaws in shape and other weird compromises (wheels and ride height). Arguably the faults with the Hornby Class 50 as not as severe as the Bachmann 55.

You could argue the Bachmann 90 and Hornby 91 are also duplicates, yes of 1980s tooling with detail and mechanisms that don't reflect what we expect today.

In terms of mainstream models its getting harder to find things that have not been done.

I will await any exclusives or special editions*, but will certainly be getting at least one 50, funds permitting when they are released in likely early 2024. 

*hoping someone has the GWR150 livery commissioned, and would also be interested in 50049 (or 149) in any late or preservation configuration.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i'm sure it will be a great loco at a good price with the lessons learned from the deltic, but even so.

Maybe they will, who knows? They did say they have quite a few things in the pipeline. Have you made any suggestions to Fran et al as to what you fancy? I do agree another steamer is probably overdue but I’m sure there will be one along soon enough.

What they have done is listen to their customers and realised that this is one of the major models that needed a serious refresh and would sell really well.

Certainly your comments could be directed at both Hornby and Bachmann as well.

I have no connection to Accurascale, but it does seem their approach to their customers resonates with them, as well as pushing the boundaries at reasonable prices (compared to the competitors) and long may that continue. The same goes for Cavalex, Revolution, Realtrack (and others) as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I'm fairly sure the 89 isn't a duplicate?

My wallet is very relieved it wasn't a GE steamer. That would have been scary biscuits.

Someone was selling built Silver Fox kits as one point if that counts!

I for one couldn't give a flying duck if Accurascale continues to duplicate models already available , times are changing and for those of us that don't have the time or skills to modify what we already have ,  if they produced something that fits the bill for my modelling and it was as near as damn accurate as could be then I'd be on it like a tramp on chips

I've already mentioned in this thread I hoped it was the 20 when the video featured Gareth stood by 20048 and even though Bachmann have recently retooled it I'm sure an Accurascale version would take things to the next level  

I know at some point they will do versions of the 37 that will suit me and a personal Accurascale wishlist for me would be 20/26/27 (yes , I know Heljan are doing a new 26 and no doubt the 27 will follow)

I would have said a 24/25 also but I'm not sure the Suttons ones could be bettered (No offence Fran and the team) , the 24s I am already a proud owner of 7 with 3 more on order

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

@Accurascale Fran @McC Please do not hesitate to duplicate the class 33. I'm sure you'll do the definitive model. And what about smoke like TRS did on a class 37???

I can imagine the beauty now..... 

Nice one on the 50, I saw Royal Oak on the GCR this year, with the 2 class 37s that you are doing for the NRM and heavy tractor group. I already have the 37s on order... should I complete the trio??? 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

3 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone, 

Two other things on this, on every loco we have done we have done variants on locos never done before; preserved Deltics, wipac lights etc., 37s in variants never done before like Scottish car headlight, 37/6, modern 37/4 and 31 with trip cocks, Manor with tender variants, to name but a few. Not to mention our Irish range like ICRs and A Class, and a whole multitude of wagons never done before. It'll be the same for the 50s, with preservation variants and slight variations never covered before.

End of the day, you don't have to buy it, and we see it as filling needs not met before, and about the next loco of that class you buy, not fleet replacement. 

After all, does one 37 fit all needs? For some yes, for others, no and the sales we see bare that.

Cheers!

Fran 

Yeah Fran... I've noticed that you've deliberately gone for pretty much every 37 I'm not interested in... wheres me St Blazey 37s in late 80s condition? :) Ta. Only joking.

Same here with the first batch of 50s and my fav toothpaste livery. But I'm looking forward to the next batch of announcements and Ltd editons when no doubt the Hornby models I have on my workbench will be released!

One thing I wouldn't mind knowing is how easy these will be to convert to EM or P4. I know you've offered drop in wheelsets previously and wondered if the same will be here and if they're a scale diameter? I can see the renders look good... just can't really see the wheel used on the sample.

Thanks

Will

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Well done accurascale on another great announcement the Hornby item in standard form is expensive and fairly crap.

Also some of the stuff said above is just utter tosh. I’m pretty certain accurascale is being run as a business so releases are based on sound business plans where they expect to make money. Obviously the class 50 fits the bill and will appeal to enough people to sell the quantities required to make a profit.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Hi @jonnyuk,

We monitor this thread for suggestions so feel free to post yours there. If you read back over the 100 pages so far you will see calls for locomotives previously produced by others which they feel are in need of an update, the Class 50 included. We are always up for suggestions and fresh ideas though!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Yeah Fran... I've noticed that you've deliberately gone for pretty much every 37 I'm not interested in... wheres me St Blazey 37s in late 80s condition? :) Ta. Only joking.

Same here with the first batch of 50s and my fav toothpaste livery. But I'm looking forward to the next batch of announcements and Ltd editons when no doubt the Hornby models I have on my workbench will be released!

One thing I wouldn't mind knowing is how easy these will be to convert to EM or P4. I know you've offered drop in wheelsets previously and wondered if the same will be here and if they're a scale diameter? I can see the renders look good... just can't really see the wheel used on the sample.

Thanks

Will

Hi Will,

Many thanks. We will have more on the EM/P4 provision when the sample lands in the new year. It's only then can we tell that the factory has followed our design to the letter. We do have a cunning plan around scale diameter wheelsets mind. More will be revealed then.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

After all, does one 37 fit all needs? For some yes, for others, no and the sales we see bare that.

One could argue that a hypothetical 37/7 fitted with ETH and retaining its boiler should be able to meet everyone's needs from 1960 to present day, unless they have a weight restricted structure....! or need a pair of them! :-p

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Will,

Many thanks. We will have more on the EM/P4 provision when the sample lands in the new year. It's only then can we tell that the factory has followed our design to the letter. We do have a cunning plan around scale diameter wheelsets mind. More will be revealed then.

Cheers!

Fran 

Cheers Fran

I like a cunning plan!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Been wishing for this announcement for quite some time. I have been very tempted by the Deltic and 37, but not succumbed. I am hoping the revised NSE livery will be announced in due course, if so I may not resist then (definitely if it is number 5 or 24). 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Couple of things. Firstly I wonder how big a demand there is for the unspecified locos you want.  I can’t off the top of my head think of any niche locomotive I would like. I can think of several already available that I would like improved. ACS is doing that IMO.

Yes things are expensive. A lot of us have to save. It took me a year and a half to save for an American Big Boy steam locomotive. 

I have come to the realization that by the time I save enough for a model it may no longer be available. Which is ok as there will certainly be another one that will pop up.

I really like the Class 89 and the Class 50. I can afford niether today. However, I am saving and by March of next year I will be able to afford one, but not both of these models. I am fortunate in that I can place at $10-$30 aside each month to save for items in this hobby.

My biggest gripe with the hobby in general is that British TT is getting more love than UK HO.

Edited by wairoa
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

That was awful, only 15 names in there. Poor effort

IMHO the names should've been replaced by the D4XX numbers, then you would need to look them up (unless you can remember them all.)🙂

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

There are clearly a large number of extremely wealthy people on this list to whom the phrase "cost of living crisis" doesn’t have any relevance. 

Duplicates, well very little has not been done before.  The Accurascale duplicates are arguably to a better spec than has gone before and better value!  So ultimately its about progress, especially with current prices.  I would say that Accurascale have been rather restrained by only announcing 6 versions - may be to do with current economic climate?

Cost of living - the ones Hornby are producing at this years RRP is £220.Buy a better Accurascale version to save money.   Likewise you have RMWeb gold, so your not on the bread line! Based with the choice of money in the bank earning nothing and all the uncertainty in the world it is nice to have something to remind you of the good old days.  It may even help someone's mental health by giving them a getaway from their problems of today, and back to their carefree childhood of the 80's and 90's!  I could lecture on the current issues facing a great many people, but unfortunately it would not make a difference, because politics is firmly based on the pretty, glossy 20% of the ice berg that sits above the water, not the nasty 80% that sits below, which causes the grief and misery to oothers. 

Class 37's that, like everything is down to choice.  Personally I wouldn't have a new Bachmann either - don't give any wow factor over their earlier editions in my view.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

45 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm not a betting person, but imagine that the Class 50 alliance will have a couple of 'Juicy' limited editions done of their specimens, especially after the efforts to assist Accurascale.  Personally I like the idea of the models contributing to the upkeep of their 12 inch to the foot relatives, as other Accurascale products have.  Not quite so keen on the thought of shops picking off potentially sought after models, to contribute to their next BMW or Mercedes, hence my Deltic purchases via the DPS... 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1