Class 50, By Accurascale

I have made my choices in Dave and Thunderer. I have only seen the latter, but the former is just too nice a livery. My GBRF 50007 is safe for now unless as stated before an Accurascale version is announced. 

1200799299_PXL_20220828_1058170012.jpg.7b6b3c313061ee400071cd54c3eb8e77.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If they get these angles right and it looks like they have, Ill be having a good few of these!!

No one has managed it so far, Heljan was close but but it still wasn't right.

What's surprising with these is the windscreen corners are not 90 degrees which is how the dropped down look of the screens is accomplished. 

cab front 46..jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I note the sarcasm it’s not a good look IMHO. I myself am fully paid up on Accurascale models to more than £1000 but have none of it to run on my layout yet.

Hi @scumcat,

You have a point, and I apologise to the poster. Reading baseless narratives after a tremendous amount of hard work from our team can be a tad frustrating and it got the better of me. 

You're in for a serious treat in the coming months. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

31 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Duplicates, well very little has not been done before.  The Accurascale duplicates are arguably to a better spec than has gone before and better value!  So ultimately its about progress, especially with current prices.  I would say that Accurascale have been rather restrained by only announcing 6 versions - may be to do with current economic climate?

Cost of living - the ones Hornby are producing at this years RRP is £220.Buy a better Accurascale version to save money.   Likewise you have RMWeb gold, so your not on the bread line! Based with the choice of money in the bank earning nothing and all the uncertainty in the world it is nice to have something to remind you of the good old days.  It may even help someone's mental health by giving them a getaway from their problems of today, and back to their carefree childhood of the 80's and 90's!  I could lecture on the current issues facing a great many people, but unfortunately it would not make a difference, because politics is firmly based on the pretty, glossy 20% of the ice berg that sits above the water, not the nasty 80% that sits below, which causes the grief and misery to oothers. 

Class 37's that, like everything is down to choice.  Personally I wouldn't have a new Bachmann either - don't give any wow factor over their earlier editions in my view.  

Couple of small observations; while I've never been overly keen with the Hornby's interpretation of the Class 50 windscreens/front, don't forget that the model first came out almost 20 years ago in pre-CAD era (for Hornby) I believe, and at the time set new standards that modellers had long called for.

On pricing, while Accurascale's is cheaper on RRP, you won't find any discounts, while Hornby's higher RRP is frequently discounted (c£200 for 2022's releases; stocks of previous new models seem to be sold out in most places).

Anyway, good luck to Accurascale; it's a popular class so duplicates are to be expected; surely a Class 40 can't be far away :)? I suspect the market for less popular locos (Class 67 anyone?) isn't going to support super-dooper versions of them...

It's a free market, competition is good for the customer, and all manufacturers take a huge financial risk when they commit to a project (even the small ones without bigger overheads). So, a third alternative for ardent '50' fans is welcome.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

I notice that only one of these in the CADs had a plated over centre headlight. I assume these headlights will be present on the post refurb locos? 

CA64DBDD-08FB-4D28-8634-9E858699AF6F.jpeg

As always we go to great lengths to ensure the model as depicted is as accurate as it can be in every way. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Gary H said:

If they get these angles right and it looks like they have, Ill be having a good few of these!!

No one has managed it so far, Heljan was close but but it still wasn't right.

What's surprising with these is the windscreen corners are not 90 degrees which is how the dropped down look of the screens is accomplished. 

cab front 46..jpg

I’ve had some fun getting the cab fronts closer on the Hornby model with the Shawplan etches for the windscreens, Milliput for the cab ‘noses’ and some microstrip for the gutters but it’s fiddly and I’m forever checking the symmetry across the front. At least they won’t look too out of place when the Accurascale ones arrive.

DSCF0357.jpg.7ebdd28c35a25d6453550b2303a4f916.jpgDSCF0366.JPG.717c5ea8377b3751329e71beabf5c8da.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Before Christmas I’m hoping for a class 92 a set of TPE mark 5s 2 boxes of mk5 CS and a class 37 in the new year I know I will not be disappointed. 

Hi @scumcat,

If you're in the Birmingham area this weekend introduce yourself and I give you a closer look at some of the above goodies.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, McC said:

Not just yet :) 

You tease… my order will be in when you announce one or more early LL. 

Edit: if you could just make it 50039 Implacable, you will be on my Christmas card list 😉

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

I only ever had 50024 for haulage in BR days between reading and paddington and back

50024 is the only one I had a cab ride in, from Paddington to Reading. I could have gone through to Brum but had a meeting in Reading…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great news, if not for my wallet!

The original Accusable post said that there would be "missing handrails on D400" which is indeed correct as it uniquely missing the forward-facing handrails under the windows at each end.  However, there is no model of D400 / 50 050 listed.  Does that mean that there will be a model of this locomotive on a future batch, or it has not yet been announced for this batch?  "Fearless" was my favourite, hence the interest.

Edited by Tom - vac

8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

You tease… my order will be in when you announce one or more early LL. 

Roy

haha I had this same dilemma back in 83 when choosing either a blue or L/L Lima 50 from Santa. Oh god such torture for a 13 year old 50 crank. I chose the L/L so this time I think I’ll go blue. Then when a more appropriate L/L is released I can get that. 
Just need to get some overtime in at work now ☹️

26 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @scumcat,

You have a point, and I apologise to the poster. Reading baseless narratives after a tremendous amount of hard work from our team can be a tad frustrating and it got the better of me. 

You're in for a serious treat in the coming months. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Fran,

I don't think you need to apologise or justify yourself, I thought your response was quite refrained considering!

Accurascale are doing wonders for the hobby, and the class 50 was the obvious next choice for a new tooling, although sadly I have no need for one (some 31's and a 37 are on order however!).

As others have hinted, every mainline diesel locomotive (including nearly all the prototypes) has either been done, or is currently in progress by various manufacturers. Sure there are some electrics, shunters, and DMU's/EMU's that have never been made rtr, but most are niche and will have limited appeal.

Keep up the good work, and I'll be up for some 40's when they are announced! ;)

Cameron

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, 40002 said:

I would be interested in buying but i would want early large logo livery which doesn't appear to be an option.

I will no doubt be buying lots of these but fortunately there is only one of the first batch I can use so hopefully early large logo livery and pre 1978 Tops will follow in a way that helps to spread the cost. Nice to see the characteristic droop of the rain strip on the cab sides.

Mark

• Like 2

Hmm, big red announcement either tomorrow or at Warley according to an email I've received... sorry I deleted it so cant remember now. I wonder if a Class 50 might be on the cards.... Have Accurascale trumped the Kohler brigade with some of their own mischief?

Edited by ndg910
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1