Class 50, By Accurascale

Well, I definitely haven't fallen off my chair with surprise with this one!

I was surprised there were only 6, but Fran has already said more will be announced in the new year.

Also the price difference from DCC ready to sound has gone from £90 (IIRC) on everything else to £110, although I heard ESU were putting prices up which is maybe why. Fair bit harder sell for me that.

I will probably give the 50 a miss unless some preserved one gets announced that I can't resist. The H&H one isn't for me I don't think. A GBRF one in the right colour would probably be of more appeal.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I notice that D423 is depicted with snowplough fitted, I cannot recollect ever seeing a 50 with snowploughs from that era.  Is my memory playing tricks?

Jim

Hi Jim,

You are correct. The factory provided us with line drawings of each model with ploughs included which we colour in. The ploughs wont be fitted to models which did not carry them, but will be included in the detail pack.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Don’t need one of these for my early 80s West Highland layout but spending my teenage years living in Oxford and keeping company with these awesome beasts most Saturdays and Monday evenings what’s a chap to do? 
Work out which one to order first and start planning a second layout obviously. There’s absolutely no way I won’t be getting a couple of these beauties.

Nice one Accurascale 👍👍👍👍

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Jim,

You are correct. The factory provided us with line drawings of each model with ploughs included which we colour in. The ploughs wont be fitted to models which did not carry them, but will be included in the detail pack.

Cheers!

Fran 

Fran, could you add some information to the listings indicating what condition the loco is in?  It's hard to tell from the livery alone with so many preserved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a feeling a broken down cross country service might be headed by an NSE class 50 pushed into service. There must be a picture somewhere....

I know Hornby are a much bigger company with higher overheads etc but the difference in price for a higher spec new model versus a more expensive lower spec old model now is crazy. 

• Agree 7

6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Jim,

Cheers!

Fran 

Finally, a job at Accurascale to match my skill set!! I’m really good at colouring in and don’t often go over the edges these days. When can I start? 

This is really exciting news and best of luck with it. Will be putting my order in once I’ve decided which to get first.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

I have a feeling a broken down cross country service might be headed by an NSE class 50 pushed into service. There must be a picture somewhere....

I know Hornby are a much bigger company with higher overheads etc but the difference in price for a higher spec new model versus a more expensive lower spec old model now is crazy. 

50’s we’re no stranger to Birmingham in the 1980’s even early 90’s. There was a diagram that took them all the way to Manchester, with a return spin to Stafford and back before the return.

During the refurb era they were know to tag along services to Doncaster and York

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

50’s we’re no stranger to Birmingham in the 1980’s even early 90’s. There was a diagram that took them all the way to Manchester, with a return spin to Stafford and back before the return.

During the refurb era they were know to tag along services to Doncaster and York

Were they ever diagrammed to reach Manchester in the 80s and 90s? I know some did make it to Piccadilly but as a rare occurrence, presumably having not been replaced earlier en-route.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Fran, could you add some information to the listings indicating what condition the loco is in?  It's hard to tell from the livery alone with so many preserved.

Hi Simon,

All are in BR condition apart from 50008, and will be listed "As preserved" in future if they are not from BR days.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

Nicked from FB.

50.jpg.9b9f608a335937cbbbad0f2bb12494ef.jpg

At least we now know what Hornbys announcement on Saturday will be.

(It might not be in jest either as they’ve announced a TT one and the old model predates CAD software so they must have had the crayons out)

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Simon,

All are in BR condition apart from 50008, and will be listed "As preserved" in future if they are not from BR days.

Cheers!

Fran 

Appreciate that Fran but given your obvious extensive and detailed research it would be really  helpful to have 'as running between' dates across the range when you've get the chance

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Coincidence perhaps but as we had already announced this one day only discount beforehand, we are safe. Grab a copy of this for yourselves to help make your choice of which model or livery to plump for.

BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE RRP is £22.95 SAVE 50%+ TODAY ONLY Last Years of the Class 50s 1980 - 1994

TODAY ONLY £10.95

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/last-years-of-the-class-50s-1980-1994?_pos=5&_psq=class 50&_ss=e&_v=1.0

image.png.703f2a6365f015e0934d1319e273b493.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Were they ever diagrammed to reach Manchester in the 80s and 90s? I know some did make it to Piccadilly but as a rare occurrence, presumably having not been replaced earlier en-route.

Yes definitely it was a regular working in the time table for a period.

50008 failed at Stafford on one occasion, I’ve a picture of 50041 at Piccadilly. several others did this working.

it came up from the West Country, the 50 did a regional to Stafford, took a late afternoon back south.

persisted quite late on too

Edited by adb968008

4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Simon,

Cheers!

Fran 

G'day Fran, I'm a bit out of the loop with differences in class 50s being from the land down under. Is there any difference between your model of 50017 'Royal Oak'  in BR condition and her current condition as a preserved loco on the GCR?

• Like 2