Heljan OO Newton Chambers Car Transporter

AY Mod

39 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Appear to be relatively lower cost at TMC?

They have a discount on the regular price rather than the RRP?

image.png.8dc7b01c5946376e43e52d3c51b5be4b.png

I’ve ordered a set from TMC because of the lower price, was surprised by how much cheaper they where, hope they don’t try and charge more especially as payment was taken.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, thunderer08 said:

I’ve ordered a set from TMC because of the lower price, was surprised by how much cheaper they where, hope they don’t try and charge more especially as payment was taken.

You might find that the payment is initially taken and then refunded as it is a preorder. Strange set up by TMC. Then request for payment made again later.

I feel the same as you, hopefully there will not be an increase requested when it comes to the delivery, especially when not so far away.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, zr2498 said:

You might find that the payment is initially taken and then refunded as it is a preorder. Strange set up by TMC. Then request for payment made again later.

I feel the same as you, hopefully there will not be an increase requested when it comes to the delivery, especially when not so far away.

That happened with my split box Peak I pre-ordered from TMC, when it came to paying for it it was at the increased price ☹️

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

That happened with my split box Peak I pre-ordered from TMC, when it came to paying for it it was at the increased price ☹️

If they do that with the Newton car carriers I will cancel and go elsewhere even if the price is the same.

If this is a regular trick they pull they need calling out on it, it’s not illegal but it’s definitely dodgy practice at best.

Edited by thunderer08
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, thunderer08 said:

If they do that with the Newton car carriers I will cancel and go elsewhere even if the price is the same.

If this is a regular trick they pull they need calling out on it, it’s not illegal but it’s definitely dodgy practice at best.

I should of really queried it to be honest as I pre-ordered the Peak months earlier 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2022 at 23:18, zr2498 said:

For those a little worried;

No shillings changed hands when I pre ordered the car carriers, just a confirmation email with order number.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I suggest checking with TMC about their pricing. There quoted normal price of £194 is wrong as Heljan's release states the normal price as £229 per set. Heljan operate a minimum price that retailers can use on new releases, which is 15% below the normal recommended price, which makes it just over £194. TMC seem to have taken the discounted price and then applied a further 15%. Hope it is not a selling tactic.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

For those a little worried;

No shillings changed hands when I pre ordered the car carriers, just a confirmation email with order number.

Mike.

Same here Mike when I ordered my Peak at the original price they initially take the payment but put it straight back, but when peaks arrived into stock and the invoice came through to pay it was the increased price.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I think you will be lucky to get the order at that price.

Ive had it happen to me “by accident” at TMC before.

Your risk (which I think is considerable) on these is that they sell out on pre-order at several outlets, then find TMC wont honour that price!

A potential risk is maybe they ask you to do RRP if everyone else is sold out, then what choice do you have ?

But imo these coaches have new fashion appeal, across several eras and think this lot may not hang around long.

I will say three other retailers have made “mistakes” recently too, the result would have been an outcome favourable for them, but actually resulted in my cancelation of the order, and in one case quite a lot of pre-orders. However a pattern of mistakes have occured  amongst multiple retailers recently, combined with growing % discounts on very recent releases,  suggests to me maybe things are getting a little tougher in the retail market… and i’d venture in a tough market loyalty is something to be cherished, not abused.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

On 24/11/2022 at 12:14, Suzy Sulzer said:

.Nice to see new rolling stock announcement pre NEC show. Rather than a locomotive.

Hopefully were see another production run of ESSO Class A tanks. Also ESSO B variant too in oo. During 2023 

HINT HINT

Amen to that "Suzy". Regent class Bs would be my choice but Esso blacks rebadged would be a good substitution. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, rembrow said:

I suggest checking with TMC about their pricing. There quoted normal price of £194 is wrong as Heljan's release states the normal price as £229 per set. Heljan operate a minimum price that retailers can use on new releases, which is 15% below the normal recommended price, which makes it just over £194. TMC seem to have taken the discounted price and then applied a further 15%. Hope it is not a selling tactic.

I will give them a call on Monday. I will let you know what happens.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Covkid said:

Amen to that "Suzy". Regent class Bs would be my choice but Esso blacks rebadged would be a good substitution. 

For my era the regent tanks were debranded .

Have got a pile of Regent and a few Esso badges …. If anyone wants them drop me a pm.

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2022 at 20:07, zr2498 said:

I will give them a call on Monday. I will let you know what happens.

I have spoken with the sales team this morning and sadly the price on the web site is incorrect 😪 They have mistakenly double discounted. I expect the web site will be corrected in due course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rka said:

it states on page one that they were used on west of England services but does anyone know if they were used on west wales services at all?

Never saw them nor Cartic-4s; The Fishguard was formed of Carflats, whilst the Swansea and Carmarthen ones were BR GUVs. I lived a few hundred yards from the line, west of Llanelli, from 1955 to 1973, and spent much of my time looking over the mainline, when I should have been watching my teachers....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Never saw them nor Cartic-4s; The Fishguard was formed of Carflats, whilst the Swansea and Carmarthen ones were BR GUVs. I lived a few hundred yards from the line, west of Llanelli, from 1955 to 1973, and spent much of my time looking over the mainline, when I should have been watching my teachers....

Have to agree with Brian …. Never seen images of them on west Wales services … sorry! But it’s your railway….. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If only these were available in N gauge!
I’m surprised there’s no mention so far of the ‘Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier’ livery. I saw some of those at Barking in the 60s en route to Dagenham, so they must have been employed for trade deliveries, probably during the winter months. I think they must have been in a mixed rake with Carflats.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Crepello said:

If only these were available in N gauge!
I’m surprised there’s no mention so far of the ‘Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier’ livery. I saw some of those at Barking in the 60s en route to Dagenham, so they must have been employed for trade deliveries, probably during the winter months. I think they must have been in a mixed rake with Carflats.

I’m not - they were a different vehicle type that were used on similar services before the Newton Chambers were built.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

That is this type and similar, this one many years after the car use, and has since been conserved

A couple of them were used in parcels traffic and still carrying their prominent "Anglo Scottish Car Carrier" branding on some of the lesser known Co. Durham branches until the end of stream.

As well as the ECML, I've seen phots of them in all regions on parcels duty e.g.

https://flic.kr/p/daAeYK

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the livery error on the Newton Chambers Maroon version. I'm making the assumption (dangerous, I know) the livery is meant to be Ex-works.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1