Heljan OO Newton Chambers Car Transporter

AY Mod

Even though these only saw limited service, I can see these being extremely popular. Especially as you can make the train ready-to-run now with a set of Mk1s and the TCVs behind a suitable Pacific or diesel.

• Agree 1

Not forgetting their diagrammed use to and from Perth via Cowdenbeath and Kinross - W.V.Anderson's photo of a Brush Type 4 on Glenfarg bank hauling the down working is classic.

Are the end doors opening, or the roofs removable so I can install a vehicular load?  We know about the unhealthy obsession I have with cartrains....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Not forgetting their diagrammed use to and from Perth via Cowdenbeath and Kinross - W.V.Anderson's photo of a Brush Type 4 on Glenfarg bank hauling the down working is classic.

Are the end doors opening, or the roofs removable so I can install a vehicular load?  We know about the unhealthy obsession I have with cartrains....

Just for you Chard, the roofs are easily removable - held in place by small but strong magnets. We will be demonstrating this feature at the NEC this weekend. Unfortunately for you, it won't be possible to put any cars in the centre well as that's where we've put all the weight. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

50 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Oh yes please !  I've got a couple of kit-built ones (Southern Pride?)

Very expensive for 3 coaches, but if they're as good as the drawings they do look the business.

I know I'm biased, but they are even better than the livery artwork. The samples received this week have a real 'wow' factor. 

• Like 5

Interesting announcement, whilst not for me they are very distinctive and even starred in a BTF or two.  As for price, it works out at about £70 per vehicle which given their uniqueness and relatively narrow geographical range which I suspect may affect sales numbers isn't a bad price really.

It's nice to see some of the more oddball non passenger stock being announced, gives me hope for a Class 310 unit at some time (not so subtle hint there, @61661)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Strange they are in packs of three. Seems a common number now.

I was under the impression they usually worked in 4 or 8 car sets. In later years there was 5 with one being a spare.

Jason

Searching for pics of the "Anglo Scottish Car Carrier" suggests six (plus four mk1 carriages) was standard in the 1960s.

Nice announcement, and by present standards the price seems pretty reasonable especially for a somewhat niche prototype with few livery choices.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful news ….. had been hoping someone would take these on . Early 70s they were on the Stirling - NA circuit which had two coaching sets allocated, worked alternate days given the journey times involved.

One set had car carriers, the other flats. 

Two packs for us please…. Shame the blue/grey ones are all TOPs branded but we can soon fix that….

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was under the impression they usually worked in 4 or 8 car sets. In later years there was 5 with one being a spare.

Jason

In the maroon years they often worked in sixes with 4 Mk1 day coaches. Haven't seen eight together in any of the research we've done. The number used in each train steadily dwindled to two or three during the blue/grey period, so packs of three makes most sense. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Great to see, although now sold I loved the 4mm one I had. I thought they were an Eastern Region only wagon then found a photo of a solitary one at Newton Abbot and then4 at Bristol behind a Warship.

I will hold off searching for a Westdale 7mm one now in the hope that Heljan upscale it to 7mm in the future.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

It's like when the sell Ham in a pack of ten but cobs/rolls etc in a pack of six.

Gotta buy more.

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Shame the blue/grey ones are all TOPs branded but we can soon fix that….

Not quite - pack #9623 is in the early version of blue/grey (with blue roofs and brown bogies) applied in the late-1960s retaining the 'TCV' code. The other packs are branded NVV (vac brake/steam heat) and NVX (dual heat/dual brake) for the 1970s/80s. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 64F said:

Searching for pics of the "Anglo Scottish Car Carrier" suggests six (plus four mk1 carriages) was standard in the 1960s.

Nice announcement, and by present standards the price seems pretty reasonable especially for a somewhat niche prototype with few livery choices.

A general formula for motorail trains seems to be one compartment per car … plus a catering vehicle and brake.

Although these were built to carry six cars IIRC they were limited to four after an incident involving a staff member being trapped under the lower deck when it was lowered. 

Coaching stock was often first class too so MK1 FK and BFK …. The latter Not made yet (hint hint) but an option for a cut and shut from other coaches.

So with 4 cars per TCV and 7 compartments in an FK a ratio of 2:1 is about right for prototypical trains… some long formations ran, loading up to 16 vehicles. Fiddle yard loops on the new layout have been designed to accommodate them…. We wait to see if the motive power can cope! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Not quite - pack #9623 is in the early version of blue/grey (with blue roofs and brown bogies) applied in the late-1960s retaining the 'TCV' code. The other packs are branded NVV (vac brake/steam heat) and NVX (dual heat/dual brake) for the 1970s/80s. 

Oh thanks Ben … missed that! That pre TOPs blue period sometimes gets missed. So duplicate packs and renumbered then.. 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 61661 said:

In the maroon years they often worked in sixes with 4 Mk1 day coaches. Haven't seen eight together in any of the research we've done. The number used in each train steadily dwindled to two or three during the blue/grey period, so packs of three makes most sense. 

Fair price for 3. I reckon most of us here dont run full length trains so happy to buy 3 and run something representative. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1