Heljan OO Newton Chambers Car Transporter

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Schroedinger vehicles.

Same reason as brake rigging and underframe detail is modelled on rolling stock?

Mike.

You want to put a cat in it? I’m no cat fan but that feels cruel….

• Funny 3

On 26/06/2023 at 14:13, brushman47544 said:

Retailers won't split the packs as I'm sure doing so would invalidate the warranty and they wouldn't be able to send them back to Heljan individually if defective.

That's not a showstopper. A dealer can split some packs and if one is returned swap it out with one from a complete pack in stock. Also, bearing in mind that a dealer is only (obviously) credited back with the trade value, a number are happy to dispose of returns at a discount. We are talking about a wagon, if there is one with a detail or decoration fault I am sure there would be plenty of modellers happy to get their hands on one at a discount price to weather/repaint/detail/modify

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2023 at 13:27, zr2498 said:

I sent a message to Heljan UK, asking for information re the design of the packaging. Alas no reply!

I have seen comments from Heljan on this thread before so perhaps the information could be supplied here?

Message from Heljan this morning. The 3 coaches will be in a single presentation box and not in individual boxes.

This makes splitting them difficult so I will reduce my order to 1 pack.

I've reduced order to one pack. Heljan are really missing an opportunity with this constraint on numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My review of the Heljan Newton Chambers 'Anglo-Scottish Car Carriers' will be in the next issue of BRM.

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter01.jpg.5baa2b6fe63ac3fba1e74f85e029d966.jpg

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter07A.jpg.61481f4d875b7d33610bbe24465a2df7.jpg

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter08.jpg.173e919b6d6f444e1dfbb9f9c96ab5dd.jpg

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter09.jpg.4e74343f65faeb803aa7d3d81a5a2b39.jpg

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter12.jpg.08d7c88475bf311e7e314ca9adedc983.jpg

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter15.jpg.110c80427a00f762b09917d5eabe91ef.jpg

HeljanAnglo-ScottishCarTransporter20B60113ontrain.jpg.5c5139c7cdcfdc9b929ff7121bbd736a.jpg

I think they're rather good. 

Reading up on them, I came across different data. One source stated the individual vehicles carried six cars - two smaller ones in the well, and four larger ones on top. Another source stated up to three in in the well, and five on the top. I suppose it was dependent on the size of the cars. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2023 at 10:05, Tony Wright said:

Reading up on them, I came across different data. One source stated the individual vehicles carried six cars - two smaller ones in the well, and four larger ones on top. Another source stated up to three in in the well, and five on the top. I suppose it was dependent on the size of the cars. 

That does seem logical but intriguing as well. How would BR know how many bookings it could accept? Accept bookings for larger cars and then stop once full, or limit numbers by size of car to maximise use of space? You might end up having turned away bookings unnecessarily.

And what about loading? If the train was fully booked managing the cars by arrival and size could be a nightmare if the “wrong” cars arrived closest to departure time.

Edited by brushman47544

The restriction to "smaller" cars in the well might refer to their height rather than their length.

The problem of fitting everything in also applies to car ferries, which ask for details (height/length) when you book, and BR probably did the same with these.  As for loading them so they'll all fit efficiently without wasting space, that's down to staff experience on the ferries, and again the same logic would apply.  All vehicles would be required to be there early enough to allow loading sufficiently before departure time and if you turn up late and they've already loaded those who didn't miss the cut-off time, you've probably missed your train unless they can still squeeze you in.  If the staff make a mess of loading, no doubt the train's departure would be delayed.

• RMweb Premium

I once travelled on a France - England car ferry where they got the loading so very wrong the ship had a distinct lean to one side. Vehicles had to be taken off and reloaded, made it very late departing.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

That does seem logical but intriguing as well. How would BR know how many bookings it could accept? Accept bookings for larger cars and then stop once full, or limit numbers by size of car to maximise use of space? You might end up having turned away bookings unnecessarily.

I got involved with that a bit when I worked in a Travel Centre that handled Motorail bookings.  I was trained on that job but don't remember actually having to cover it.  We held the Reservation Charts for this particular Motorail service.  It was formed of GUVs, not double deck CCTs.  Length of vehicle was one of the items the customer completed on the booking form, and you then had to allocate spaces by  juggling the cars between the railway vehicles to achieve the best fit.  Sometimes it resulted in the train being 'full' to new applications for long vehicles, but a Mini (for example) could still be accommodated.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2023 at 09:05, Tony Wright said:

My review of the Heljan Newton Chambers 'Anglo-Scottish Car Carriers' will be in the next issue of BRM.

<snip>

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/CS/Coaching_Stock_N2_web.pdf

Diagram BR 820 - Two Tiered Covered Car Transporter

Capacity is given as 12 1/2tons - six cars or seven small cars

For what its worth the diagram shows car outlines and depicts:

Top Deck: 2 small cars and 2 large cars (arranged small, large, large, small)

Well: 2 sports cars

One assumes this was only illustrative!

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Payment to Rails gone out this week from me so hopefully these will be landing on layouts soon

Rails dispatched mine yesterday and this morning DPD have advised delivery this morning. I never expected to have this prototype in model form, we really are going through a golden period. Am going to use Rule 1 and run them with my maroon Thompsons and a green Class 40.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Rails dispatched mine yesterday and this morning DPD have advised delivery this morning. I never expected to have this prototype in model form, we really are going through a golden period. Am going to use Rule 1 and run them with my maroon Thompsons and a green Class 40.

O nice, I havnt seen a tracking note as yet but in no huge rush, like you say I never thought I'd see these RTR and was about yo get some Southern Pride ones snapped up.

Iv gone for the early blue and grey ones so can justify a green blue and maroon mix.

Also my main aim is to run them with a 40 and a mk1 pullman second and a blue and grey thompson bsk converted to a sleeper amongst some other mk1s for the york-inverness motorail!

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 1