Heljan OO Newton Chambers Car Transporter

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2022 at 11:24, Crepello said:

If only these were available in N gauge!
I’m surprised there’s no mention so far of the ‘Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier’ livery. I saw some of those at Barking in the 60s en route to Dagenham, so they must have been employed for trade deliveries, probably during the winter months. I think they must have been in a mixed rake with Carflats.

Available as a simple kit in N gauge, body is 3D printed.

https://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogue/br-wagons.html

C0C24101-ECD5-4E90-808D-E6EA1F98AA10.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2022 at 21:07, Cass7117 said:

I'd love a couple of these but not sure I can stretch to a three pack. Is there any chance they'll be available singly in the future?

Have ordered two of the three packs but will only run 4 with a couple of MK1's.

Planning to put the 2 spares up for sale.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/05/2023 at 23:04, Michael Hodgson said:

Are these still expected to arrive in Spring this year?

I was wondering the same but I'm sure I read somewhere they are expected later now? Iv not heard anything on my pre order.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

I was wondering the same but I'm sure I read somewhere they are expected later now? Iv not heard anything on my pre order.

Cheers

James

They re on their way now. A little later than planned, but factory output and shipping is still unpredictable. We expect to receive them in July. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, 61661 said:

They re on their way now. A little later than planned, but factory output and shipping is still unpredictable. We expect to receive them in July. 

Oh excellent! Should have my sleepers finished in time!

Cheers for that

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

£14 more for the Heljan v EFE when compared at retailer prices.

Initial enquiries re quality differences. Heljan sprung buffers v EFE moulded (not sprung).

I wonder if there will be any other detail / quality differences? Is it worth the extra?

Just a pity that the Heljan pack is 3 and not a chance to buy individually. Perhaps a retailer will split the pack and offer separately.

4 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Initial enquiries re quality differences. Heljan sprung buffers v EFE moulded (not sprung).

I wonder if there will be any other detail / quality differences? Is it worth the extra?

Just a pity that the Heljan pack is 3 and not a chance to buy individually. Perhaps a retailer will split the pack and offer separately.

It doesn't have to be a retailer.  No reason why it can't be done by an individual using ebay.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It doesn't have to be a retailer.  No reason why it can't be done by an individual using ebay.

I was considering stepping up to the eBay plate to sell 2 of a second 3 pack. Now that EFE are doing singles it makes the chances of a sale at a reasonable price a little more awkward. It depends on others wishing to get an extra Heljan single model to make a 4 car carrier set up to mix with some additional coaches.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I was considering stepping up to the eBay plate to sell 2 of a second 3 pack. Now that EFE are doing singles it makes the chances of a sale at a reasonable price a little more awkward. It depends on others wishing to get an extra Heljan single model to make a 4 car carrier set up to mix with some additional coaches.

Does anyone know how the triple packs will be packaged?

Will there be  3 individual boxes inside a presentation package, or what?

Splitting them and selling on might be dependent on this.

If I don't get an answer here I might contact Heljan directly.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2023 at 15:36, zr2498 said:

The Heljan one has a magnetic removable roof piece, incase you want to model cars inside.

(There is no internal ramps however).

I dont know if the EFE one does, but the roof also looks a separate piece.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The attached article from the 10/1961 issue of Trains Illustrated may be of interest; (MODS please remove is there are copyright issues).

I have just acquired a couple of the Southern Pride kits, which I understand have height issues; I came across the article as part of my research.

For further references see : -

"B.R. GENERAL PARCELS ROLLING STOCK" : BRADFORD BARTON - P48;

"RAILWAYS IN PROFILE No.6, B.R. NON-PASSENGER ROLLING STOCK" - CHEONA PUBLICATIONS - PL106;

"MODEL RAIL" MAGAZINE - 11,12/99,8/03;

"BRITISH RAILWAY MODELLING" MAGAZINE - 7,8/04;

“BR PARCELS AND PASSENGER-RATED STOCK – VOL.3" : KESTREL - FRONT COVER.

John Isherwood.

TIARTICLE10-61small.jpg.f7734c89bc079653951b543ace029605.jpg

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2023 at 15:36, zr2498 said:

Retailers won't split the packs as I'm sure doing so would invalidate the warranty and they wouldn't be able to send them back to Heljan individually if defective.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2022 at 12:26, Darius43 said:

Very nice - I have several Southern Pride kits in the stash as well as a couple of built examples.  I’ll stick with those as something for my retirement next year.

Cheers

Darius

It has been suggested, either here or in the parallel Efe NC wagon thread, that the Southern Pride kit for the Newton Chambers wagon is over-height.

So, having just acquired a couple of these kits, I digitally assembled the components over a 4mm. scale drawing and, sure enough, the etch for the well section is 4mm. too deep.

Below is the digitally assembled kit AFTER I had removed 4mm. from the sides of the well etch component; it will be seen that the kit produces a very accurate model after this modification has been made.

John Isherwood.

DRAWING4mm.SCALE.JPG.fbe0c14710c0bc83ae0622e14acb6c98.JPG

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2023 at 13:26, zr2498 said:

Does anyone know how the triple packs will be packaged?

Will there be  3 individual boxes inside a presentation package, or what?

Splitting them and selling on might be dependent on this.

If I don't get an answer here I might contact Heljan directly.

I sent a message to Heljan UK, asking for information re the design of the packaging. Alas no reply!

I have seen comments from Heljan on this thread before so perhaps the information could be supplied here?

Message from Heljan this morning. The 3 coaches will be in a single presentation box and not in individual boxes.

This makes splitting them difficult so I will reduce my order to 1 pack.

Edited by zr2498
Feedback from Heljan

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2023 at 13:04, cctransuk said:

TIARTICLE10-61small.jpg.f7734c89bc079653951b543ace029605.jpg

I have just noticed something in the official photo of the completed wagon (above); the upper end doors are unpainted, except the hinges - which are black.

The body sides, upper end doors and roof of the TCV were fibreglass panels, which had a slightly brownish cream colour at that time. Fibreglass panels were translucent when unpainted, and were often used for diesel locomotive rooves in order to admit light into the engine-room.

In the case of the TCV, the roof had eight 'windows' - four on each side and offset from the opposite side. These 'windows' are recorded as being translucent, so probably simply unpainted areas of the fibreglass panelling.

The official photo appears to have the whole of the upper end doors as unpainted fibreglass, with only the hinges painted black. (I had initially perceived this appearance to reflected highlights, but then realised that the contrast with the hinges was too great)

It would make sense for the end doors to be translucent, thus admitting light to the interior when closed.

If this was indeed the case, it has implications for the liveries of the forthcoming models ........!

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I have just noticed something in the official photo of the completed wagon (above); the upper end doors are unpainted, except the hinges - which are black.

The body sides, upper end doors and roof of the TCV were fibreglass panels, which had a slightly brownish cream colour at that time. Fibreglass panels were translucent when unpainted, and were often used for diesel locomotive rooves in order to admit light into the engine-room.

In the case of the TCV, the roof had eight 'windows' - four on each side and offset from the opposite side. These 'windows' are recorded as being translucent, so probably simply unpainted areas of the fibreglass panelling.

The official photo appears to have the whole of the upper end doors as unpainted fibreglass, with only the hinges painted black. (I had initially perceived this appearance to reflected highlights, but then realised that the contrast with the hinges was too great)

It would make sense for the end doors to be translucent, thus admitting light to the interior when closed.

If this was indeed the case, it has implications for the liveries of the forthcoming models ........!

John Isherwood.

On the other hand the photographs posted on pages 2 and 3 of this thread of the blue and maroon liveries show the end doors in blue and black respectively. Are sure these were fibreglass? The bi-fold nature of the door design  requires several hinges and one wonders how this material would perform in daily use.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tramshed said:

On the other hand the photographs posted on pages 2 and 3 of this thread of the blue and maroon liveries show the end doors in blue and black respectively. Are sure these were fibreglass? The bi-fold nature of the door design  requires several hinges and one wonders how this material would perform in daily use.

My observation relates to the original maroon livery only, and is intended to query the livery illustration at the beginning of this thread.

The bi-fold end doors can be seen to have a substantial internal frame, with thin panelling.

Whatever - the official photo speaks for itself.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It was only the first five vehicles that had 'offset' roof windows - E96286-90E. The remaining nine had the windows centred in the panel.