Rapido OO Gauge Y7

AY Mod

17 minutes ago, micklner said:

Yeadon also confirms  985 when numbered  8088 used NE only , in the same  photo the Cab is removed and Oval Buffers are fitted.

Does Yeadons  mention its time working in the Notts coalfield when it was fitted with group  standard buffers and the number 985 was clearly visible under the paint? Oh! forgot to mention the spark arrester.

• Funny 1

23 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Does Yeadons  mention its time working in the Notts coalfield when it was fitted with group  standard buffers and the number 985 was clearly visible under the paint? Oh! forgot to mention the spark arrester.

Nothing in Yeadon . RCTS 9B has one small photo of the rear of the the Loco, confirms buffers and chimney, overpainted number not obvious in the photo.

• Thanks 1

There's a bit of history on the Class H in NERA Express Issue 180. Pages 144 to 146.

It would be interesting to identify what changes No.1310 has as preserved compared to a NER period H in Wilson Worsdell livery. Vac fitted obviously, but anything else?

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

interesting, here

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96875

at Bentinck Colliery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tractionman said:

interesting, here

And from a few yards further back. A crop from the original, with the numbers showing through.1310NotBut985.jpg.035ac42a9ba580d4714045de21fb6f9b.jpg

I wonder if Rapido could replicate the sunken rivets?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Trying to figure out how one of these ended up on an ex- LSWR BLT in Devon/Cornwall in the late 50's 😜

Stunning little model 👍

With the addition of an LCGB or RCTS headboard you can get away with practically anything.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I would recommend  vol 32 of Yeadons to anyone interested. 

I wouldn't. Yeadon misses numerous details - LNER v. NER frames, LNER v. NER brake pulls, front steps, tank-front grabs, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 26/11/2022 at 09:07, AY Mod said:

The North Eastern Railway built six of these locomotives in 1888 to modernise its dockside railways. Classified ‘H’, they were so successful more were built in 1891 and 1897. Even the LNER wanted more, ordering five in 1923.

You had me at “dockside”…

I’ve been doing so well with my addiction to small shunting locomotives, then you announce this little stunner…

Not my region (opposite end of the country) but NE lined black version with numbers removed and a nameplate added from Planet Industrials and I have another colourful “dock shunting engine” to add to the collection…

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

On 26/11/2022 at 09:07, AY Mod said:

The model will have a coreless motor and flywheel for super-smooth slow running as well as NEM coupler pockets and a factory-fitted sound speaker.

When are manufacturers going to understand that a flywheel does nothing when it is so small as to be able to fit in such a tiny locomotive? It's all very well fitting a speaker at the factory but what would truly benefit a tiny 0-4-0 is a Stay Alive. If they would fit one of those instead of a useless lump of turned brass then it would be much better for sound and non-sound users.

This is a model that I would like to have but the problem with all of these things now is that you need to "pre-order" and stump up the cash without being able to see the thing for real, or to have seen anyone else pull one apart. There's no way of telling if there is space for a SA to be fitted until you open one up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, micklner said:

My kit build does'nt need a stay alive on live frogs. The Y7 has a reasonable 6ft wheelbase.

My experience of small locos is a  stay alive is needed if sound is used - a momentary loss of supply may not be noticeable in a stealth loco but it definitely is with sound.

Chris

• Agree 2

Stay alive is nice but a compensated or sprung non-driven axle should keep all four wheels on the track for constant pickup. My Judith Edge Ruston 48DS has it and rarely stops unless my track gets really filthy. OTOH if you insist on insulfrog…

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

I wouldn't. Yeadon misses numerous details - LNER v. NER frames, LNER v. NER brake pulls, front steps, tank-front grabs, etc. 

Oh there’s more than that - however answer the questions about allocations and livery Yeadons was the right recommendation.

As ever, not everything is possible in a model but we have tooled a lot of different bits  to cater for different variations.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, davknigh said:

Stay alive is nice but a compensated or sprung non-driven axle should keep all four wheels on the track for constant pickup. My Judith Edge Ruston 48DS has it and rarely stops unless my track gets really filthy. OTOH if you insist on insulfrog…

Cheers,

David

For me, it'll always be mechanism first, I prefer the idea of a flywheel and the DCC and sound stuff can - er - go whistle, but when this came up regarding the Dapol Hawthorn Leslie mention was made of a DCC chip with stay alive on the NGS Hunslet which works on DC. Does anyone have experience of this?

• RMweb Gold

Roco have fitted a stay-alive and sound into their DB 333 — a smaller prototype given that it is HO scale. If Rapido are serious about producing a quality model, they need to do the same. I expect that in a loco this size a flywheel will be all but useless anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

This one's an Alexander kit, probably a lot rarer than a Nu-cast one! nice and heavy as it's all whitemetal, runs lovely with it's High Level gearbox.

781571228_ClassH.jpg.c6053a3396cc282f2437927ddfd39848.jpg

Interesting - I didn't know Dave had done one.  As it's whitemetal  I suspect a relation to the Stotty version.

The #rare# was e bay sarcasm BTW!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

As ever, not everything is possible in a model but we have tooled a lot of different bits  to cater for different variations.

So have you tooled the different frame shapes for NER-built and LNER-built locos? What about the cab rear on 68089? Your artwork shows it with the standard open back, which is wrong. There were at least two iterations for its cab rear. 

4 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Oh there’s more than that - however answer the questions about allocations and livery Yeadons was the right recommendation.

Would that include some form of compensation/springing on one axle for those of us dinosaurs who prefer straight DC?

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark Dickerson said:

Looking at the NGS DCC guide for their Hunslet (and the ROCO DB333 for that matter) suggests not - in which case it would be a doodad too far for me. Pity.

A "traditional" stay alive wont work on DC - in effect it will supply 12v DC to the motor and thereby cause your model to shoot off at top speed! 

However, I have seen various stay alive variants which claim to work on DC, so I guess it might be possible, given the correct circuitry. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Ruston said:

When are manufacturers going to understand that a flywheel does nothing when it is so small as to be able to fit in such a tiny locomotive? It's all very well fitting a speaker at the factory but what would truly benefit a tiny 0-4-0 is a Stay Alive. If they would fit one of those instead of a useless lump of turned brass then it would be much better for sound and non-sound users.

This is a model that I would like to have but the problem with all of these things now is that you need to "pre-order" and stump up the cash without being able to see the thing for real, or to have seen anyone else pull one apart. There's no way of telling if there is space for a SA to be fitted until you open one up.

You can normally pre order from hattons without the need to pay a deposit or the whole amount. But as the price hasn't been confirmed yet it can't be pre ordered at the moment.

Regards Gary