Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Collectors' Club Exclusive - BR Princess Coronation 4-6-2 ‘Coronation’ No. 46220

AY Mod

Betty’s Husband, only Collectors Club members could order the model as you know and it is unavailable for anyone to order on Hornby’s website I’m afraid. I must have been one of the last to order it as only a few minutes after I placed my order the “Unavailable” notice appeared.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Philip Jackson said:

Hi, yes its still available to pre order. you have to be a member of the collectors club

It's sold out, for members it says Unavailable but the Pre-order Now button is still visible.  If you do click on the button you get a message stating 'Sorry we are out of stock'

• Thanks 1

An example was on the Hornby stand at Warley - although I had to ask for directions to it amongst the other rather nice new EPs and the very impressive TT layout. The Coronation coaches (next to 46220) were particularly nice - maybe I was dazzled by the presence of the TV stars Simon Kohler and Montana!! 😁

BE133A50-1143-4C74-8E65-A5D709C2D50B.jpeg.38096ed2864dcce4509736cfd2b27d8a.jpeg

E010BB99-E97E-4025-B78B-7561E41A6CA4.jpeg.5b2676055d39cebb087f8fb4a7dfd23d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 26/11/2022 at 13:03, JohnR said:

I recall when Hornby announced the Purple Platinum loco, there were lots of people saying the same sorts of things. They have yet to eat their portion of humble pie, despite the clear success of that issue. 

This one will do just as well, I'm sure. I have to say I'm tempted myself. 

Slightly different kettle of fish though. We didn't really know how well an oddity such as 70 Elizabeth II would sell. It was a bit of a risk.

But a bog standard Semi fronted Duchess in 1950s Blue? Should have added a zero to the amount they are making and put it in the main range. I would have bought at least three, keeping one as Coronation. Most of them got that livery.

Hoping for some more Duchesses to be issued in the next main announcement.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2022 at 11:00, andyman7 said:

This thread already seems to encompass the divergence between Hornby's core market and RMWeb readers. It's like a Venn diagram with no overlap.

Am I interested in this? Not particularly. In that vein all the 'so what' comments could apply to me. Does it make sense for Hornby's core market? Even I can see it does. It's a pretty, blue steam loco with a Royal connection. So I am sure it will sell well. Meanwhile, announcements such as the Heljan 86/2 suit me down to the ground but are unlikely to set the pulses racing for the average Sunday supplement reader.

Hornby are only making 500 of the Coronation models, and they will already have gauged the market for the ersatz HD format from previous releases.

I therefore imagine they'll be expecting to sell all of them, if indeed they haven't already done so.

John 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Did 46220 have red nameplates?? There is a very good painting showing the loco in blue livery (1950-52)  pulling the Royal Scot and the plates are most definitely black. A replica nameplate that was displayed at the NRM for some years was also black. I was told Scottish shedded Coronations had red plates?

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Did 46220 have red nameplates??

Every colour image I have seen shows black plates and I've seen one of the original plates, in black, in a collection.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Did 46220 have red nameplates?? There is a very good painting showing the loco in blue livery (1950-52)  pulling the Royal Scot and the plates are most definitely black. A replica nameplate that was displayed at the NRM for some years was also black. I was told Scottish shedded Coronations had red plates?

They had red plates when they were black. Maybe some did still have red plates when blue during the change over? If so then I feel it might have been very short lived.

Could have even been a temporary embellishment for the 1953 Coronation.

Mine will be getting replacements anyway. 

I doubt the NRM plate was a replica. It would be an original, even if it was a spare not carried by the locomotive.

LNWR George V 5000 Coronation's plates were definitely red.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=153989880757247&set=a.116674507822118

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I doubt the NRM plate was a replica. It would be an original, even if it was a spare not carried by the locomotive.

It might be a replica as it is not listed on their object search page:

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/objects/object_type/nameplate?page[number]=1

Also:

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/search/objects/object_type/locomotive-nameplate?page=100

Be interesting to know. Will email  search.engine@railwaymuseum.org.uk

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

LNWR George V 5000 Coronation's plates were definitely red.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=153989880757247&set=a.116674507822118

Jason

Wow! that is some nameplate!

Edited by palmsticks

Page 152 of the Wild Swan book says Coronation plus 46223, 46225, 46231, 46237, 46239 and 46254 did have red backed nameplates for some of the time they were in BR blue, but no specific dates are given.

• Informative/Useful 4

The item I read said that the black replica nameplate displayed at the NRM was made of wood!

Why, on the rather ornate red plate displayed in a previous post say "5000th engine built at the Locomotive Works Crewe - June 1911"? 46220 was build in 1937.

Edited by Bulleidboy100

3 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

The item I read said that the black replica nameplate displayed at the NRM was made of wood!

Probably a casting mould or a display mock up rather than a "modern" replica.

They did have first option on all the nameplates as what is now the NRM was originally part of BR. That's why it irks that things that many think should have been saved wasn't as they were getting them for virtually nothing.

Even in the 1970s you could get nameplates for just a few pounds in Collectors Corner in Euston.

I remember when there was hundreds of nameplates all over the walls of the old NRM and they were all the famous engines in the history books that had gone for scrap. Now there are only a few on display.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Brocp said:

Page 152 of the Wild Swan book says Coronation plus 46223, 46225, 46231, 46237, 46239 and 46254 did have red backed nameplates for some of the time they were in BR blue, but no specific dates are given.

They have done 46237 previously.

R2553_1.JPG

https://www.hattons.co.uk/17647/hornby_r2553_princess_coronation_class_4_6_2_46237_city_of_bristol_in_br_blue/stockdetail

That's why I am wondering whether Hornby have got it right with Coronation having red backed plates or whether they are assuming it had them. 

Unfortunately colour photos from the time are pretty rare and most are suggesting they had black plates which was the official colour for blue engines. There obviously was exceptions, I think some Merchant Navies also had red plates whilst blue.

Jason