Closure of Eileens Emporium

Derek Russan

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Human8984 said:

Does anyone know any where to  get a large quantity of Gibson wagon and coach wheels from without having to go to gibson themselves? 

I suppose that depends on how large a quantity you want, but H&A Models

https://www.hamodels.net/wheels-bearings-back-to-back-gauges-reamer-cutting-tool.html

always seem to have a good stock of Gibson wheels whenever I have seen them at Stafford Show.

Might be worth giving them a call.

Edited by Moxy
missing word
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Human8984 said:

Does anyone know any where to  get a large quantity of Gibson wagon and coach wheels from without having to go to gibson themselves? 

H & A Models

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Human8984 said:

Why wouldn't you want to go to Gibson direct?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

the main reason i dont want to go to gibson is that i would prefer to pay using a modern payment system instead of ringing them up and paying via phone or waiting until they reply to an email. Hence why eileens was so convinient, being able to get so much stuff in one place and the like.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Human8984 said:

the main reason i dont want to go to gibson is that i would prefer to pay using a modern payment system instead of ringing them up and paying via phone or waiting until they reply to an email. Hence why eileens was so convinient, being able to get so much stuff in one place and the like.

I've always found a letter with cheque effective.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I cant remember the last time I actually had a cheque book, but it must have been at least 15 years ago. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, JohnR said:

I cant remember the last time I actually had a cheque book, but it must have been at least 15 years ago. 

Really, these people who can't handle 20th century technology! Next thing, they'll be telling us they don't know how to use a telephone!

image.png.0f3fcb30886b5dc6ce1b668f7c096607.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I wanted some wheels from Alan Gibson a week or two ago. I rang the number, had a brief chat with Colin, gave him my card number and the wheels I ordered arrived two days later.

It really wasn't very difficult at all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Really, these people who can't handle 20th century technology! Next thing, they'll be telling us they don't know how to use a telephone!

Where's the USB socket?

• RMweb Premium

I looked at the link provided by Derek Russan. I really wonder who is going to bid for lots like those. Surely not a good way to get the best return for those owed money by the company. I can't see many individuals bidding for a lot. But not sure how else to deal with so much material.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, corneliuslundie said:

I looked at the link provided by Derek Russan. I really wonder who is going to bid for lots like those. Surely not a good way to get the best return for those owed money by the company. I can't see may individuals bidding for a lot. But not sure how else to deal with so much material.

The hoped-for market is "the trade". If some of this material can be bought for less than wholesale prices, there's an extra bit of margin in there.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Amazingly, it still works. Just plug it into your landline -- no batteries, no power supply needed.

But only for another 2 years. That system (the PSTN) is being closed down in 2025. Then it's everyone over to internet phones -- needing a power supply, emergency back-up batteries, ...

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, corneliuslundie said:

I looked at the link provided by Derek Russan. I really wonder who is going to bid for lots like those. Surely not a good way to get the best return for those owed money by the company. I can't see may individuals bidding for a lot. But not sure how else to deal with so much material.

Jonathan

I expect that the most likely interested parties will be other model railway traders. If they are local to the auction house then it would be worth a visit to find out what is actually in each lot and make a bid for it. For those further away it is a bit more of a lottery as the details of the lots are, understandably, not very comprehensive.

A local model shop or even a club might find it worth a bid on some things.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I looked at the link provided by Derek Russan. I really wonder who is going to bid for lots like those. Surely not a good way to get the best return for those owed money by the company. I can't see many individuals bidding for a lot. But not sure how else to deal with so much material.

Jonathan

Standard practice in insolvency.  Selling by publicly advertised auction to the highest bidder avoids any comeback from creditors who allege the liquidators sold these assets for less than they were worth.  Yes, there are usually bargains to be had if you turn up.

No, not many individuals.  But there's always somebody can see an opportunity if the price is low enough, so expect the trade - including the likes of Trotters Independent Traders.  These days, buy a job lot cheap enough sell it separately on ebay, although you've got to do the work in listing it.  It may also be necessary to dispose of the stuff quickly if there are premises to be cleared for a sale.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

But only for another 2 years. That system (the PSTN) is being closed down in 2025. Then it's everyone over to internet phones -- needing a power supply, emergency back-up batteries, ...

I wonder how they'll be dealing with the power backup problem. Back at the turn of the century when I was still involved in mobile phone infrastructure design, battery backup was already being regarded as an expensive irritant that should be kept to a minimum. So how a similar or better level of expensive backup is going to provided in the all fibre optic world will be interesting to see.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

I wonder how they'll be dealing with the power backup problem. 

As I understand it, they're not. So if there's a widespread power outage and you have a medical emergency or a house fire, you've no means of calling the emergency services. Lack of joined-up thinking as usual.

Please someone do tell me I'm wrong!

• Agree 5

15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

13 hours ago, JohnR said:

Erm yeah.  I had a cheque book for a long time with Midland which morphed into HSBC.  But I have banked with Santander for years and don't think they ever gave me a cheque book whe nI transferred to them. 

Besides, you would probably need to go to a post office to buy a stamp, stick it on your envelope. then try and find a letter box to post it. .

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Besides, you would probably need to go to a post office to buy a stamp, stick it on your envelope. then try and find a letter box to post it.

Stamps are readily available from corner shops and the like, if you don't have a post office in easy distance. I've noticed no diminution in the number of post boxes over my lifetime, only in the frequency of collection.

Not an issue with a single sheet order form and a cheque, but anything that bulks up the envelope can fall foul of the rules on size.  I've had a couple that could be firmly pushed through the post office's test slot but the staff then advised that Large Letter postage should be paid to be "on the safe side."