Hornby 2023 - Diesel & Electric locomotives/units

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

The rest seems to be mainly railroad plus - is that warmed up lima with something extra ?

I think the sales pitch is it's RailRoad with extra decoration / etched nameplates. Fine by me, I'm happy with my 'Limby' Class 59 & 73s, they won't pull the side out of a house but then I don't need them to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

I don't do OO diesel but that Load Haul 37 looks great.

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

Wrong nose style for the number again, standard approach for railroad though. Seems daft given there were plenty of centre head code 37s in Loadhaul

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Ideal for the 'lack of prototype accuracy' brigade.  AKA (in some quarters) the 'attract youngsters into the affordable end of the hobby' set. 

I think new starters deserve the respect that accuracy represents, but then it's hardly aimed at me and what do I know? 

The angles between the orange and black look all wrong to me, I'm sure they're too vertical. As for the nose, I hadn't noticed but if that's correct it seems a very odd choice. Even at the 'attract youngsters at a decent price' level, when there are other more appropriate numbers to choose from, why pick one that's the most wrong?

OK, it's a basic model and the roof detail is likely wrong, but that's something fewer people will know about or spot. And at an intermediate level, there are those younger ones or those on a limited budget who at least want something vaguely right. I'd have been pretty disappointed if I'd bought the Yeomen 59/0 as a kid then realised as I became more knowledgeable that it used a 59/1 body. A fairly generic 37 is fine, but when it'd be as easy to pick a better number, it just seems daft. It's hard to see how they could look at pictures and decide that's the right option to produce. 

And yes, schoolboy errors like the 'class 121 Bo-Bo' are equally odd. Did no-one with any subject knowledge proofread it? 

(It feels a lot like I could copy and paste many of these thoughts from my recent post in the KR Models thread...)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

67s from the failed open access GC services, now at TFW with the Black ex GC mk4 sets.  Not sure if Hornby are doing mk4s to match...

Not quite. GC never had any 67s, the service with the MK4s was Euston to Blackpool using class 90s.

TFW have chosen to repaint their 67s into black with red roof rather than keep the more eye friendly light grey version. The first black one appeared in late 2022

• Like 1

Montana goes through all the Railroad models and states each one has a 3 pole motor, including the class 67. Has this always been the case? I thought the Limby motor bogie, and the Railroad class 67, had 5 pole motors. 

Also seems a bit of a strange choice for another Strathclyde 101 (albeit now in the Railroad range), as Hornby have already produced this same model. A different livery (eg ScotRail) 101, or a ScotRail/Strathclyde 156 would've been better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Also seems a bit of a strange choice for another Strathclyde 101 (albeit now in the Railroad range), as Hornby have already produced this same model. A different livery (eg ScotRail) 101, or a ScotRail/Strathclyde 156 would've been better.

Have you tried finding one? They are absolutely impossible to get these days...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, andyman7 said:

Have you tried finding one? They are absolutely impossible to get these days...

I've got a couple and regularly see them on eBay or Hattons pre owned (including the blue Strathclyde one).

On the other hand my Scotrail/Strathclyde suggestions are even harder to get as Hornby haven't actually produced these!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

I've got a couple and regularly see them on eBay or Hattons pre owned (including the blue Strathclyde one).

On the other hand my Scotrail/Strathclyde suggestions are even harder to get as Hornby haven't actually produced these!

The blue SPT ones seem to be very easy to find but I haven't seen an orange one on ebay for ages  - just looked now for sale and sold and not a single one. Only aware because my son would like one so at least he'll be happy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

That was removed from the announcements following feedback from Avanti.

Has the 805 been completely removed for good?

hopefully just held back until the real thing is running as I’d definitely be up for one of those 

the only thing I’d have gone for out of the range this year would have been the GBRf 08 but I got the BCC one at warley 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Montana goes through all the Railroad models and states each one has a 3 pole motor, including the class 67. Has this always been the case? I thought the Limby motor bogie, and the Railroad class 67, had 5 pole motors. 

I’d have preferred a three coach Strathclyde /BR 101 from mid 80s-90s . I thought they had produced this version with the Scotrail Swoosh before . You can’t see the front in these illustrations but I like the distinctive Met Camm full yellow ends , but I think these later 2 car units had a grey roof at the front 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That was removed from the announcements following feedback from Avanti.

Wonder if it’s still in the catalogue as that presumably is already printed . Interesting . It maybe that the actual livery is changing . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

It looks to me that they have decided where their future lies in the 'modern traction' market although maybe some other announcements could appear through the year.  But detail nonsenses apart they are clearly avoiding the high-end and looking to the HD brand with metal body etc as their future premium end of the market.  It will be interesting to see how that works out for them as while we don't know how many they'll be making it must be a marjket restrained by price and sheer number of people buying in it.

• Like 1