Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

No, but I chucked a foam brick at the screen each time SK mentioned "Flying Scotsman" or "iconic".

If you chuck a 50p in a jar every time he does it, you should have enough to buy a loco by the end of the series.😄

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

21 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Re the delay I wonder if it was Yesterdays ( BBC Studios )  solicitors concerned over something in the program - something like the comment of Rockets being too fragile to take out of the box might had caused the panic button to be pressed.

I understood that it was to do with the launch of the TT range which was due to be launched the following day.

It seems SK has had this great new idea for modellers with smaller modern homes that haven't got the space for a 00 layout - smaller trains! 😲 What an innovation, no-one has ever thought of doing that before.

Err, N gauge anyone? Only the second most popular scale after 00, but it appears SK has never heard of it. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/01/2023 at 16:20, AY Mod said:

Season2: Episode 1 preview

Monday 9th January, 8pm - Yesterday (Catch-up on UKTV Play)

The series returns to Margate with the first episode focusing upon the development of TT:120 (with inevitable compulsory Flying Scotsman content) and living proof that Margate does have spares and service work going on as John wrestles with a couple of Rockets a customer has been heavy-handed with. Don't forget that this stuff is filmed for telly rather than what happens in a normal day so I wouldn't suggest turning up there with your accidents and excuses and expect a bloke to pop through to take it off you, fix it and then give you a call to pop in and pick it up. Similarly some of the TT EPs seem to jump from one major stage to the next in the blink of a TV eye.

image.png

Take your nit-picking train spotter woolly bobblehat off and enjoy the programme for what it is; designed for the wider audience rather than the nerd and you may just enjoy it! There's some good modelling content in there courtesy of @kathymillatt. So what's Simon's catchphrase for this series? It's too early to tell but it may be "it's a gamble".

Just before the end of the episode there's a howler followed by a headscratcher; more of that in Episode 2.

Love the A3 in TT near the end, what was banking it !!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

It wasn't the TT version - its was Simon's gold plated model that had spent 20 years in the loft. It was tender driven, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

I assume you mean the one that's wheels weren't turning. If so, that was the gold 00 tender drive one the programme had spent about 5 minutes on up until that point. Amazing what you see when you watch

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

He should have handed it over to the two repair engineers to remove the grease from the axles which will have solidified through lack of use!

Btw I’m sure that after watching the “Top 10” episode it started to play season 2 episode 2 with Jools Holland. But I was half asleep and I turned the tv off when I went outside to empty the dogs.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

It's like some people don't even read previous comments in the thread - not least the first two posts; which made it very clear what to expect!
In my eyes, it achieved pretty much what is to be expected from such a programme that is aimed at a general audience. Yes, it's under the 'documentary' category according to UKTV, but it also shares elements with other categories; it had to be informational, entertaining, interesting, have a dash of over-dramatising, yet also concise. The result is something of a 'dumbing down' of the intracies of what probably really goes on, but I watched it to the very end which must mean I enjoyed it. Simon's optimism and excitement is a little infectious, and even though it would be impossible for the film crew to be at the original meetings, I was actually drawn into the narrative more than I expected.

The passion shared by all during the show felt fairly genuine, for the most part. It was especially nice to see various team members discussing and reminiscing about the various models (part 2/11), as well as more famous faces like Carol Flavin and Pete Waterman. In part 1, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Kathy Millatt building Port Dinorwic, too. Amazing the effort that went into such a well-modelled and inspiring scene built in such a short timeframe. Just like the guy repairing Rocket in ep 1, these parts were nicely down-to-earth. I'm sure we can all relate to the 'Oh bloody hell, I've only gone and wired it up wrong*'... moment! 

If you can approach the episodes as a light entertainment programme aimed mainly at non-modellers. I think you'll enjoy it a lot more. And if you can't, or still disagree, then fair enough - it's probably not for everyone!

*not the actual quote, hence the punctuation used

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 10
  • Agree 9

14 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If you chuck a 50p in a jar every time he does it, you should have enough to buy a loco by the end of the series.😄

Its what I do with loose change every day!  Haven't assessed the jars recently, but there should be enough for a largeish full fat Hornby loco.  Just not that "iconic" one...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, HExpressD said:

I assume you mean the one that's wheels weren't turning. If so, that was the gold 00 tender drive one the programme had spent about 5 minutes on up until that point. Amazing what you see when you watch

Several other people I've spoken to since also thought it was the TT model.

I didn't, simply because I know Hornby don't do tender drive these days, but I wonder how many of the TT target market might have been misled.

John

• Like 2

I just watch the program for entertainment, like many of these programs many aspects are staged for the viewer. I did love Kathy’s kitchen does it see food 😀. It’s certainly a brave step for Hornby entering the TT market, but who are the target audience. Is it the person who just wants a train set or is it aimed at the serious modellers, if for the latter for it to succeed and expand the range the accessory companies will need to produce ranges to accompany the new Hornby range. Although there are some TT items out there in the accessory market.

ps there should be a smiley after Kathy’s kitchen

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In the advert at the end of episode 1 there is something about pinning the hopes of a new generation on a victorian steam loco and it shows a LSWR B4 Normandy. What is that all about? I thought Dapol already made that loco in 4mm and just about to sell in 7mm. Is this a small TT loco?

Wierd!

Cheers, Ian - another 50p in a jar person who is up to £9.50 after this episode!

Edited by ianmaccormac
spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

It's like some people don't even read previous comments in the thread - not least the first two posts; which made it very clear what to expect!
In my eyes, it achieved pretty much what is to be expected from such a programme that is aimed at a general audience. Yes, it's under the 'documentary' category according to UKTV, but it also shares elements with other categories; it had to be informational, entertaining, interesting, have a dash of over-dramatising, yet also concise. The result is something of a 'dumbing down' of the intracies of what probably really goes on, but I watched it to the very end which must mean I enjoyed it. Simon's optimism and excitement is a little infectious, and even though it would be impossible for the film crew to be at the original meetings, I was actually drawn into the narrative more than I expected.

The passion shared by all during the show felt fairly genuine, for the most part. It was especially nice to see various team members discussing and reminiscing about the various models (part 2/11), as well as more famous faces like Carol Flavin and Pete Waterman. In part 1, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Kathy Millatt building Port Dinorwic, too. Amazing the effort that went into such a well-modelled and inspiring scene built in such a short timeframe. Just like the guy repairing Rocket in ep 1, these parts were nicely down-to-earth. I'm sure we can all relate to the 'Oh bloody hell, I've only gone and wired it up wrong*'... moment! 

If you can approach the episodes as a light entertainment programme aimed mainly at non-modellers. I think you'll enjoy it a lot more. And if you can't, or still disagree, then fair enough - it's probably not for everyone!

*not the actual quote, hence the punctuation used

An excellent summary as far as I’m concerned, thank you.

All I could add is that I liked the way that what looked like a real (albeit low) table had been set up over the test tracks so they could run the Table Top trains properly - that’s attention to detail too in my book, Keith.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andymsa said:

It’s certainly a brave step for Hornby entering the TT market, but who are the target audience. Is it the person who just wants a train set or is it aimed at the serious modellers

It's aimed at Sunday supplement readers, not MRJ subscribers. To quote SK more or less verbatim from this World of Railways interview "people who wouldn't be interested in paying 200 pounds for a loco".

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news//interview-simon-kohler-on-launch-of-Hornby-tt

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

In the advert at the end of episode 1 there is something about pinning the hopes of a new generation on a victorian steam loco and it shows a LSWR B4 Normandy. What is that all about? I thought Dapol already made that loco in 4mm and just about to sell in 7mm. Is this a small TT loco?

Wierd!

It's covered in Episode 2, and spoilers, it doesn't threaten the Dapol model at all, but is an interesting idea..... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

It'a aimed at Sunday supplement readers, not MRJ subscribers. To quote SK more or less verbatim from this World of Railways interview "people who wouldn't be interested in paying 200 pounds for a loco".

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news//interview-simon-kohler-on-launch-of-Hornby-tt

For this year and next, maybe?

On the basis of Hornby's recent price rises, it won't be too long before TT prices get to  where OO ones are right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

I did love Kathy’s kitchen does it see food 😀

Not as far as I could see. To be fair, the house recieving the attention of some builders at the moment, so it's only a temporary change of use for the kitchen. And there are some excellent bakers within walking distance... (I take my research seriously you know)

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

Although there are some TT items out there in the accessory market.

Quite a growing number. I rate the Peco kit station.

TT Station.jpg

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

It's covered in Episode 2, and spoilers, it doesn't threaten the Dapol model at all, but is an interesting idea..... 

Playtrains seems to be Hornbys next generation project and a playtrains equivalent of Polly and Smokey Joe would seem to be a good move.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Playtrains seems to be Hornbys next generation project and a playtrains equivalent of Polly and Smokey Joe would seem to be a good move.

It's not a Playtrains range loco..... but funny you should mention Polly and Smokey Joe......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

I often wonder if some of us, (and I wouldn't exclude SK, or myself, from the group), automatically assume that today's kids will be inspired by the same kind of things we think we would if we were young today, when our take on it is heavily skewed by our earlier influences.... 

Maybe "train set" development should be more heavily influenced by those with more recent memory of occupying the target market.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4