Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the problem, (with the first episode), was that H only had the FS "rights" to produce models and NOT to show FS in the media?

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• Administrators

If you enjoy Port Dinorwic on the telly, get ready for the Spring 2023 issue of BRM, where we have an exclusive, full layout feature.

On Sale 23rd Feb (Next issue, March, is 26th Jan so you have a few weeks to wait. But it's worth it.)

Port Dinorwic 21.jpg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

30 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I wonder if the problem, (with the first episode), was that H only had the FS "rights" to produce models and NOT to show FS in the media?

Kev.

Could be a TV broadcast rights issue with another party. Would explain why the episode can already be viewed via UK TV Play.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Port Dinorwic, and even "Fix the Rocket". 

The rest of the NRM inspired stuff just made me gag. It even took over what might have been interesting about TT:120. And thanks to the magic of televison, the TT:120 timeframe was curiously skewed...

Hey ho. Now they've got that out of their system, perhaps things will be a little more balanced.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

If you enjoy Port Dinorwic on the telly, get ready for the Spring 2023 issue of BRM, where we have an exclusive, full layout feature.

On Sale 23rd Feb (Next issue, March, is 26th Jan so you have a few weeks to wait. But it's worth it.)

Port Dinorwic 21.jpg

Well that's two things in the Spring issue I know about 😁

• Like 1

Probably more likely a simple 'broadcast' issue, such as the wrong switch operated & showing the incorrect program. I've been in the control at Emley Moor when that happened. Wrong local news broadcast to a given area on ITV. (We often see that happen at home).

I don't know whether Yesterday goes through there, possibly not, but there will be a control room somewhere (or the tech in his Transit didn't make it up to the satellite in time!).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hmm... I wonder. I would normally watch Yesterday on Sky. The Sky box would normally allow me to record a [one-off] programme that was being broadcast no more than 167hours ahead as that is the maximum length of time that the in-box timetable allows. Last week, the Yesterday channel was not displaying any programmes further than 72 hours in advance. Thus I couldn't set the box to record the Hornby programme any earlier than Saturday evening.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Probably more likely a simple 'broadcast' issue, such as the wrong switch operated & showing the incorrect program. I've been in the control at Emley Moor when that happened. Wrong local news broadcast to a given area on ITV. (We often see that happen at home).

I don't know whether Yesterday goes through there, possibly not, but there will be a control room somewhere (or the tech in his Transit didn't make it up to the satellite in time!).

Funniest example of that I ever remember was when I lived in Abu Dhabi. Back in about 1992 / 93, we only had a few TV stations available via terrestrial TV, one of which was a French cable channel rebroadcast locally. I came home from work one afternoon and was doing a quick flick through the channels when I came across some unexpected explicit 'adult' content on the French channel. It was broadcast for about 45 minutes before someone from the local TV company noticed and pulled the pin! What was funniest was the number of calls I got in that short time from my mates telling me to "switch over to the French station - NOW!!". 🤣

Oh-la-la!

Rumour has it a disgruntled employee at the French station was responsible... needless to say, the French channels license was revoked quick-smart!

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Richy59 said:

Anyone who’s watched it think they can spot the ‘editorial’ reason for the delay? I can’t seem to see any unannounced locos or products from the 2023 range. 

I doubt you'd spot them as the offending bits would probably have been removed.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

you can't help but love Simon Kohler; his story alone would make an interesting tv programme or two.

He annoys me. So do Jools Holland and Chris Packham. 

His LinkedIn page suggests he started at Hornby in 1978, and, apart from a four-year break as a consultant (who worked for Hornby for a bit) he's been working there ever since.

Not a very interesting story (for me, anyway). 

ADD: I looked him up on the British Newspaper Archive, and the only mention I could find was about him winning a prize in a fancy dress parade in Louth in 1959. 

Edited by BachelorBoy
added fancy dress story
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

May or may not be accurate but I've seen a report, supposedly from a Hornby employee, that the original edit included an individual who passed away very recently and it was decided at the last minute to edit that part out.  As I say might be total nonsense.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I know that Yesterday look at what else is scheduled on other channels before deciding when to transmit a brand new show. That was the case with "Secrets Of The Transport Museum" which for Series 1, Episode 1 was 4th in the TV ratings for that day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DY444 said:

May or may not be accurate but I've seen a report, supposedly from a Hornby employee, that the original edit included an individual who passed away very recently and it was decided at the last minute to edit that part out.  As I say might be total nonsense.

Or it might be that final bit where the skidding Scotsman apparently made progress without the driving wheels revolving, just like in the days of tender drive...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Or it might be that final bit where the skidding Scotsman apparently made progress without the driving wheels revolving, just like in the days of tender drive...

Thats because it WAS a tender drive Scotsman. Simons' version from 1999.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I watched it on the app . Quite enjoyable . Obviously staged though , like the bit where SK says he's going for TT . No one says "are you mad "or "its a huge risk" its just ooooh we never thought of that , how brilliant of you to come up with that idea Simon.  Maybe I could be the script writer? The second episode (at least I assume its the second episode - top 10 models?) followed . I'll not spoil it for anyone 

For serious Tri-ang , Tri-ang Hornby, Hornby enthusiasts, I do recommend removing anything sharp or throwable .  The picture of model Clan Line going round on turntable with its tender the wrong way around reminded me of being back in Modelzone in WH Smith days when an assistant with no idea about trains laid out the display!  Surely Hornby have some control and could have suggested modifying that.  I know its for general public consumption , but there will also be a fair few enthusiasts watching . Just suggests a degree of amateurism

Very interesting part on Minic Motorways with Jools Holland and the explanation of the name Scalextric.

Its interesting how Rovex and Tri-ang seem to be airbrushed out . All references are to Hornby even though Tri-ang models are featured.  Just think its a shame they are being a bit selective in history (being a Tri-ang kid!)

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A longer build video of Kathy’s layout is now available on You Tube.

And even more coverage of it if you find the back issues of her monthly YT live streams.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Very interesting part on Minic Motorways with Jools Holland and the explanation of the name Scalextric.

Its interesting how Rovex and Tri-ang seem to be airbrushed out . All references are to Hornby even though Tri-ang models are featured.  Just think its a shame they are being a bit selective in history (being a Tri-ang kid!)

I must have nodded off and missed this, will have another look sometime .......

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Because ultimately it's about Hornby and the current Hornby don't want to remind anyone of how they arrived at who they are today.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

oh great, now we are getting spoilers for episode 2 before ep1 has been aired on live TV 🤣

Nah, the second one (on the website) is Episode 11. Not much point me doing previews! I've seen 2 and 3 via press access which don't have any non-railway bits in so maybe they've decided to mix it up a bit

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Because ultimately it's about Hornby and the current Hornby don't want to remind anyone of how they arrived at who they are today.

It might of course be down to the awkward fact that if they mention other 'amalgamated' brands people might wonder why that happened and then do a bit of delving only to discover that Hornby, including Hornby Dublo, went bust and someone else bought up the remains.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Nah, the second one (on the website) is Episode 11. Not much point me doing previews! I've seen 2 and 3 via press access which don't have any non-railway bits in so maybe they've decided to mix it up a bit

A consolation prize for the mix up with episode 1?

• Like 1