Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

A new version of a BR Clan called Hengist (Pod) and it will have square wheels. They aim to start a new trend and be first to market.😄

Iconic?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

A new version of a BR Clan called Hengist (Pod) and it will have square wheels. They aim to start a new trend and be first to market.😄

11 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Iconic?

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ironic....

7 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Prehistoric.

14 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Details, details, details!

Hmmm ... !

• Funny 4

On 04/03/2023 at 23:12, melmerby said:

Will square wheels slide better on the track then?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

OK , eyes down for Bingo tonight .  Black 5 I believe . Key words or phrases:

Iconic

Detail Detail Detail

Just like the real thing but in miniature

Lets go into Production

Flying Scotsman

You've  got to get the right shade

Limited Edition of 500 (Montana disagrees)

Tri-ang

That last one really caught me out last week . I had that as a 500/1 shot

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

Watching a series on the histories of Triang and Hornby Dublo I discovered that the A3 began with 60103 in 1968 as R850 under Triang-Hornby making it Triang not Hornby Dublo heritage, the A4 has Hornby Dublo history but never the iconic A3.

All this 'our' stuff and Dublo A1/A3 is total fabrication of any history with Hornby, there never was one and if there had been, it would have been modelled over and over by Wrenn.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Watching a series on the histories of Triang and Hornby Dublo I discovered that the A3 began with 60103 in 1968 as R850 under Triang-Hornby making it Triang not Hornby Dublo heritage, the A4 has Hornby Dublo history but never the iconic A3.

All this 'our' stuff and Dublo A1/A3 is total fabrication of any history with Hornby, there never was one and if there had been, it would have been modelled over and over by Wrenn.

You are absolutely correct . Flying Scotsman was brought out in 1968 as BR 60103 by Tri-ang Hornby. Then they produced the LNER one as I think Pegler had it repainted when he bought it . It was so succesful that Tri-ang Hornby followed up in 1970 with the "famous companies" liveries . Princess in LMS Maroon , BoB in Southern green, Hall in GWR green . That led on to the reintroduction of the Dean Single then as Hornby the Caley 123(1973), which of course was previously a Tri-ang loco  

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Though the Wrenn A4s — at least some — had the corridor tender using the Tri-ang–Hornby moulding.

Trix also modelled the A3—by that time I think British Trix were owned by Liliput—to true 4mm scale, but unlike their A4 it has never reappeared in any form. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Though the Wrenn A4s — at least some — had the corridor tender using the Tri-ang–Hornby moulding.

Trix also modelled the A3—by that time I think British Trix were owned by Liliput—to true 4mm scale, but unlike their A4 it has never reappeared in any form. 

Triang released the Dublo A4 under Triang-Hornby so Triang-Wrenn benefited from that model.

Trix copied the Peco coupling that Dublo also used, with Hornby and Peco jointly taking them to court, winning, and forcing Trix to pay Peco commission on every coupling used.  Peco exist today because of that patented coupling that they allowed Hornby to use on a commission basis and it gave them a nice steady income which allowed the company to grow.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Triang released the Dublo A4 under Triang-Hornby

Really?

Not in the official history, which says that only two HD items appeared under the Triang name - the modified AL1 HD body on a Triang chassis and the HD station.

The amalgamation leaflet included several other HD items (including locos) to be incorporated into the Triang range but that never happened.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Really?

Not in the official history, which says that only two HD items appeared under the Triang name - the modified AL1 HD body on a Triang chassis and the HD station.

The amalgamation leaflet included several other HD items (including locos) to be incorporated into the Triang range but that never happened.

My apologies, the early Triang-Wrenn A4 models used Triang-Hornby Flying Scotsman tenders as they'd been unable to reproduce the Dublo tender.

• Like 1

842 variations in the Black 5 class eh? I wonder how many of them are either invisible or too small to be modelled, for I cannot see moulds being produced for any but the major visible differences.

And, as for having to research them all, why didn't they get in touch with Ellis Clark, who has already worked through that process for his own 7mm scale product? Ellis Clark Trains Black 5

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

And, as for having to research them all, why didn't they get in touch with Ellis Clark, who has already worked through that process for his own 7mm scale product? Ellis Clark Trains Black 5

Because they would have had to pay him. In-house research is ‘free’.

steve

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Because they would have had to pay him. In-house research is ‘free’.

steve

It certainly isn't free (I note your use of inverted commas), unless the designer is a volunteer. But obviously they are using far more than a set of books and a few photos. The advantage of doing the work yourself is that you then don't perpetuate the errors of others though, of course, you might create some new ones of your own....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

842 variations in the Black 5 class eh? I wonder how many of them are either invisible or too small to be modelled, for I cannot see moulds being produced for any but the major visible differences.

You'd have thought they might have noticed the polystyrene packing in the cab . Unfortunately didn't see all of it as I fell asleep !  Catch it later

• Funny 3

17 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Hornby don't know which individual locos they're going to issue over the next ten years or so. Its not a question of being able to account for minor differences through the entire class, more about having a toolset that can produce an accurate model of whichever individual loco they choose to produce.

Otherwise, the eagle-eyed will pounce with cries of "It hasn't got X" or "It's got Y! That sub-class never had it...".

Finally got around to watching the programme, and found that what I said above was more or less what they said in the programme!  Apart from what I said about the "eagle-eyed"...

Edited by Hroth
Update, and some spelin
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

This one you mean?   2020

“So much so, that in January of this year we made the decision to bring a full-time CAD designer to the team, and shortly after doing so, we began to re-design the Black 5 from scratch.”

Presumably there were significant discrepancies in various data, eg dimensions/details to make the changes they felt necessary, and required the appointment of a full time designer. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/03/2023 at 23:26, Chris116 said:

Iconic?

I've seen iconic referred to as a one word cliché and I rather like George Orwell's advice to  “Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech that you are used to seeing in print”. The other one that irritates me is "epicentre" when the writer just means "centre".

OTOH the usage that really annoys some people but not me is "almost identical" or "almost unique" the argument being that something is either identical to something else or unique or it isn't. I do though think those usages have a meaning that would be difficult to express concisely any other way. Almost unique is rather different from extremely rare so to say that , for example, to say that the use of traversers at Moor Street was "amost unique" expresses the fact that they were AFAIK only used elsewhere in that way as passenger terminus loc releases at Paris Bastille and one or two termini in Australia so it's far stronger than "very rare".

Equally, to say that two locos were almost identical conveys more than just a close similarity but that it would only take some very minor changes to make them identical (two locomotives could never of course be truly identical because their numberplates are different!)   

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

OTOH the usage that really annoys some people but not me is "almost identical" or "almost unique" the argument being that something is either identical to something else or unique or it isn't.

Rather like good old Murray Walker, who once said during a F1 race something like: "the car leading is absolutely unique, apart from the one behind which is identical"🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

38 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I've seen iconic referred to as a one word cliché and I rather like George Orwell's advice to  “Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech that you are used to seeing in print”. The other one that irritates me is "epicentre" when the writer just means "centre".

OTOH the usage that really annoys some people but not me is "almost identical" or "almost unique" the argument being that something is either identical to something else or unique or it isn't. I do though think those usages have a meaning that would be difficult to express concisely any other way. Almost unique is rather different from extremely rare so to say that , for example, to say that the use of traversers at Moor Street was "amost unique" expresses the fact that they were AFAIK only used elsewhere in that way as passenger terminus loc releases at Paris Bastille and one or two termini in Australia so it's far stronger than "very rare".

Equally, to say that two locos were almost identical conveys more than just a close similarity but that it would only take some very minor changes to make them identical (two locomotives could never of course be truly identical because their numberplates are different!)   

"Almost unique" is fine, as you say, that means there are very few (possibly only two) of them.

The bad usage is "very unique".

• Like 1
  • Agree 7