Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I don't quite understand the fact that, although I have made many aircraft in the past, I cannot rustle up the same enthusiasm to make a plane than I can for making a railway item kit......  It maybe that it has to have a function, even just a building on the layout!

I know what you mean I built a 1:72 spitfire with my son some years ago (and I had to finish it) but couldn’t summon the same enthusiasm as I used to have. Happier to build layout stuff but I think storage is also a factor, you can build a building for the layout and have somewhere for it to go, the spitfire- struggling to find a spot for it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I know what you mean I built a 1:72 spitfire with my son some years ago (and I had to finish it) but couldn’t summon the same enthusiasm as I used to have. Happier to build layout stuff but I think storage is also a factor, you can build a building for the layout and have somewhere for it to go, the spitfire- struggling to find a spot for it.

I have to be quite hard on myself about planes because there isn't room for many more, especially in the larger scales. I've got the 1970 Spitfire up in the attic waiting to be made, and that'll likely be the last 1/24th subject I tackle, no matter how enticing some of the more recent kits are. 

1/48 kits are a bit easier to find room for, such as these Mustangs. The nearest one is the new Airfix tooling.

p51sb.jpg.249f0d417a28c63cd3abdcc45ff8649d.jpg

p51sc.jpg.de556bb6eb83bde8b7c02b9943802488.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been buying lots of model airliner kits  to try and recreate the planes of my childhood . Viscounts , Vanguards, Comets , VC10, 707, DC8 . Even though they are 1/144 like above , my issue would be where to put them when built ! 

It is a shame that while Airfix are creating some great British Aircraft , the V Bombers , Buccaneer etc that aside from issuing some vintage classics they are ignoring post war British Airliners . Am I the only one that would love a 1/72 BEA Viscount or a BUA 1-11 ?  Size still an issue obviously 

Edited by Legend
Cant spell !
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Duly watched last night and very much the normal pattern although I was interested to see that SK packs models after repair - if only for the camera team!   From what we could see of it Paramjit's Spitfire build and decoration says that his modelling is top notc. He's a great asset for Hornby if this show is any guide.

The bit about the Harrow collision was, I think, typical tv production approach and nothing more.  But it dd get odd when we had the voiceover talking about a train and about the train the was pulling.  Ah well - that's entertainment and it sits nicely with Hornby's 100  years at Margate.

PS I' long ago lost interest in aircraft kits but was for quite a while a great fan of warship kits .  But I ran into the storage problen with them, even in the smaller scales so that ended that interest..

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 14/03/2023 at 13:02, Farang said:

Watching this programme two things struck me. The first was that Hornby seems to have a lot of "managers". And did you notice the acres of empty space behind some of the people being interviewed? I thought that all that area could be used as the warehouse and distribution of their products rather that paying millions to a third party miles away to provide that service?

I believe one of the reasons Hornby stopped using the warehousing space was the difficulty of getting modern lorries to it.

However Allelly's don't seem to have much difficulty getting their big lorries with full-size locos on them there!

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I believe one of the reasons Hornby stopped using the warehousing space was the difficulty of getting modern lorries to it.

However Allelly's don't seem to have much difficulty getting their big lorries with full-size locos on them there!

I'm quite sure the then management's real reason - apart from the condition of the building and the cost of major repairs - was that they really wanted to outsource warehousing and distribution.  Plus they were in case intending to sell the site (which they did of course - Hornby are now only   tenants in a building the company once owned).

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Markwj said:

I have the same dilemma with unbuilt 1/32 and 1/24 car kits…

steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Legend said:

I've been buying lots of model airliner kits  to try and recreate the planes of my childhood . Viscounts , Vanguards, Comets , VC10, 707, DC8 . Even though they are 1/144 like above , my issue would be where to put them when built ! 

It is a shame that while Airfix are creating some great British Aircraft , the V Bombers , Buccaneer etc that aside from issuing some vintage classics they are ignoring post war British Airliners . Am I the only one that would love a 1/72 BEA Viscount or a BUA 1-11 ?  Size still an issue obviously 

Like you I have soft spot for the planes you mentioned, so  I have built a layout (in my head) called Heathwick with the 1/144 aircraft in background - relying on perspective and OO Diesel Hydraulics racing to the west in front. ie moving Heathrow to a Gatwick like proximity to the Western Region mainline. Sadly I think it will remain a pipe dream.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Legend said:

When I was a kid the civil aircraft always seemed like poor relations to the military ones, but I'd very much welcome a 1/48th Dragon Rapide, surely one of the most elegant aircraft ever designed?

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

surely one of the most elegant aircraft ever designed?

I certainly agree with that and I'd be on one like a shot too. I've had a couple of lovely flights in one.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Railway Air Services, formed in 1934 as a joint venture between the 'Big 4' and Imperial Airlines, operated some Rapides so if modelling that period than an aircraft in the right livery could be of interest.  A model could be suspended from lighting supports perhaps?  RAS was nationalised in the late 1940s, ending up within BEA.

One of the magazines had an article some years ago on the Great Western's first airline ventures.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I certainly agree with that and I'd be on one like a shot too. I've had a couple of lovely flights in one.

One of my most enduring childhood memories was a Dragon Rapide flight across Lake Victoria to Entebbe in the sixties when they were still use on scheduled services

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/03/2023 at 09:52, Legend said:

Airfix used to have a Vickers Vanguard and possibly also a VC10 and B707? I had a collection of airliners in 1:200 scale. These were plastic(resin?) and diecast. A large one like a 747 or 777 would need about a square foot of space. But it was interesting to compare the sizes. A 707 was probably smaller that a A321. A BAC111 could probably pass beneath the wing of an A380. My collection of 43 was displayed on 2 x 2m shelves. Luckily I was able to sell the collection for a good price and didn't lose too much on the total purchase price. The UK market for these aircraft models  appears to be quite small with only 4 or 5 dealers in the country.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Farang said:

Airfix used to have a Vickers Vanguard and possibly also a VC10 and B707? I had a collection of airliners in 1:200 scale. These were plastic(resin?) and diecast. A large one like a 747 or 777 would need about a square foot of space. But it was interesting to compare the sizes. A 707 was probably smaller that a A321. A BAC111 could probably pass beneath the wing of an A380. My collection of 43 was displayed on 2 x 2m shelves. Luckily I was able to sell the collection for a good price and didn't lose too much on the total purchase price. The UK market for these aircraft models  appears to be quite small with only 4 or 5 dealers in the country.

Yes I mainly use Kingkits .  Have the Airfix Vanguard ,Comet,737,707and Trident which are re releases of old kits , and built up collection of 1-11 Caravelles and VC10s . Minicraft do DC8 and I’ve got some old Revell ones .  More exotic are Dart Heralds and HS748 .S&M models (be very careful on internet when looking that up !) do the Viscount 800 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes I mainly use Kingkits .  Have the Airfix Vanguard ,Comet,737,707and Trident which are re releases of old kits , and built up collection of 1-11 Caravelles and VC10s . Minicraft do DC8 and I’ve got some old Revell ones .  More exotic are Dart Heralds and HS748 .S&M models (be very careful on internet when looking that up !) do the Viscount 800 

Roden do the super vc10

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2023 at 20:13, Barry Ten said:

When I was a kid the civil aircraft always seemed like poor relations to the military ones, but I'd very much welcome a 1/48th Dragon Rapide, surely one of the most elegant aircraft ever designed?

Aeroclub did a 1:48 vacform/mixed media kit that sometimes pops up on eBay.

72BB57A5-E25B-44A5-B05E-E884762E773C.jpeg.add1806f9298c012422bb756610f3c26.jpeg

7AA5A559-CC43-4329-AA14-48DF83712CE9.jpeg.afbad767180f84abcd22b53ee2ab2488.jpeg

1AA77E46-5C75-42B4-96B2-85988DEE61C4.jpeg.df57490b31e198d07b3006e76a17db72.jpeg

E7C67DD9-4DA7-4814-A6A1-C897F9A909C9.jpeg.946fb2afe206a89d1daf9b9578903d9f.jpeg

B899198B-0280-427D-8A5B-93134CBB4D0D.jpeg.8f541ab0ddbf477f84245bfba9cfa3ac.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 17/03/2023 at 20:13, Barry Ten said:

Just market it as a Dominie...

On 17/03/2023 at 22:44, wasabi said:

Railway Air Services, formed in 1934 as a joint venture between the 'Big 4' and Imperial Airlines, operated some Rapides so if modelling that period than an aircraft in the right livery could be of interest.  A model could be suspended from lighting supports perhaps?  RAS was nationalised in the late 1940s, ending up within BEA.

One of the magazines had an article some years ago on the Great Western's first airline ventures.    

I'm surprised the iconic Corgi brand hasn't featured in the series, even if the aviation side of things seems to be playing second fiddle to Oxford. RAS Rapides are available from the latter in their comprehensive (but incomplete) DH range. Maybe Paramjit doesn't like rigging? My own Rapide from a 1/72 Heller kit stalled because I didn't like it or the way it went together.

• Like 1

At one point I thought that I was watching an episode of The Apprentice, when Lord Sugar (aka Lyndon Davies) was interrogating one team (SK and MH) about their business plan, sales targets and achievements. Instead of luxury accommodation and a taxi ride, this team had two caravans and one was taken for a ride behind a traction engine. I'm not sure if there was a business plan as such, as I really do not get why Dorset Steam Fair is the only place to shift unwanted stock, and was it all actually sold? Lyndon Jones was very insistent that he didn't want any of it to go back to the warehouse so how was it disposed of? Should I borrow a JCB and dig in some corner of a Dorset field where red boxes grow?

As to the FLIRTs, why repeatedly reference Regional Railways (or regional railways) when these are pure Greater Anglia and obviously so from the trip to Norwich Thorpe and Crown Point? Good luck with the sounds - I hear a variety daily as they pass PoA towers, and the very worst and most variable is the strangulated duck pretending to be a warning horn. I was curious too about the design problems - haven't the articulation bogie design criteria been considered already for the Coronation coaching stock, so why was the Jouef TGV rolled out again? and given that the in-house 3D printer had been proven to be entirely acceptable in a previous episode (once a faulty component had been replaced), why was it to blame for the lack of acceptable detail on the trial body elements??

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

At one point I thought that I was watching an episode of The Apprentice, when Lord Sugar (aka Lyndon Davies) was interrogating one team (SK and MH) about their business plan, sales targets and achievements. Instead of luxury accommodation and a taxi ride, this team had two caravans and one was taken for a ride behind a traction engine. I'm not sure if there was a business plan as such, as I really do not get why Dorset Steam Fair is the only place to shift unwanted stock, and was it all actually sold? Lyndon Jones was very insistent that he didn't want any of it to go back to the warehouse so how was it disposed of? Should I borrow a JCB and dig in some corner of a Dorset field where red boxes grow?

As to the FLIRTs, why repeatedly reference Regional Railways (or regional railways) when these are pure Greater Anglia and obviously so from the trip to Norwich Thorpe and Crown Point? Good luck with the sounds - I hear a variety daily as they pass PoA towers, and the very worst and most variable is the strangulated duck pretending to be a warning horn. I was curious too about the design problems - haven't the articulation bogie design criteria been considered already for the Coronation coaching stock, so why was the Jouef TGV rolled out again? and given that the in-house 3D printer had been proven to be entirely acceptable in a previous episode (once a faulty component had been replaced), why was it to blame for the lack of acceptable detail on the trial body elements??

I am pretty certain they didn't shift all the stock of Bulleid brake coaches at GDSF as they still have quite a few  in stock (without any matching composites) 

The regional reference was not to "Regional Railways" but the fact that the manufacturer Stadler's  name for the units is "FLIRT" that stands for "Fast Light Intercity and Regional Train"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1