Stafford Railway Circle 2023 Exhibition

ELTEL

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Oxford Road is in the car. Very excited.

Right next to the uneven floor - it will be me that falls over!

Rich

Never seen an excited layout before, is it constantly asking 'are we nearly there yet'...? 😁

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 298 said:

And exactly how uneven is that uneven floor...?

Regards, from C20.

Pretty wonky. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Will be visiting as a punter on Saturday. Intrigued as to why advance tickets are £17, on the door £15? 

Will be in the queue. Hope the cafe is open for crispy bacon bap!

Dava

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, MarkSG said:

I have no idea how big the GEC hall was (and I have no idea where it was, either!). But the total available space at the Bingley Hall, including the annexes, is 8,170 sq m, compared with a total of 3,531 sq m in the combined Prestwood, Argyle and Sandylands Halls. So it's more than twice as big as the space previously available.

That's from the venue hire section of the Stafford County Showground website. Which is, amusingly, still using a photo of the Stafford model railway show to illustrate the Prestwood, Argyle and Sandylands page. Can anyone identify the layout?

https://www.staffscountyshowground.co.uk/hire-of-facilities/exhibition-halls/prestwood-argyle-sandylands/

Not much to go on for the old Stychfields Hall, just a handful of photos from the web, but the hall was probably smaller than the side room at the current show...

31940-0.jpg.952aeba7fa93d0fb9f7390df04422677.jpg

oldphoto1.jpg.5ee661ed3a843091766daddaa7bf02bb.jpg

download(2).jpeg.b7b6246fa031516bedc45f5daea15ed1.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to spending some time at the exhibition this morning.  A mixture of helping Andy with Tackeroo, soaking up some (much needed) inspiration and maybe just a little bit of retail therapy. Possibly a swift half at lunchtime too.

Sounds like a great way to spend the day.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed the  Stafford show, recommend the Grandstand cafe for huge breakfast bap and waiting indoors for show to open. Lots of space, fine selection of layouts in most scales (no TT, T or Z, observation not complaint!). Easy to reach from East Midlands and reasonable VFM - same price as Guildex in the same venue. 

Dava

• Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 08:39, NHY 581 said:

Can anyone give an indication as to the positioning of the Bingley Arms in relation to stand E42 ? 

Asking for a friend............

Rob. 

I saw that stand E42 was very conveniently placed for the Bingley Arms. I also noted that all those pesky punters were keeping the layout very well occupied and probably prevented you from sneaking away for a swift half........

hope you had a runner to bring you some refreshment.

Graham

• Agree 1

Another good exhibition, spent from just after 10 until 1650 looking at everything, chatting and spending money.

Some great modelling still on show, although some of the bigger layouts suffered from big layout syndrome (lots of operators and no trains moving, or the sidings being little more than for show and never used) when we went past. This was a shame as a few layouts were great but let down by the lack of operations, even after several visits to see something moving.

The large American Freemo layout was great, a lot of detail and with all that room you really got a feel for mainline running with working signals. However, the 2 stand out layouts for me were Bleat Wharf and Central Alonzo Mill. I went back more than once to these 2. Both only 4ft and 7ft respectively, but the quality of modelling was outstanding, from the scenics to the stock and something was always pottering around. These are both a credit to their owners.

The hall never felt cramped or busy due to the wide aisles and the ticket staff were brilliant at getting through the queue quickly.

Well done to all involved in running and organising the exhibition.

Already got it in the calendar for 2024 to make sure management doesnt plan anything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My photos in a Flickr album - click on the photo - they are of varying quality and not labelled but they give a flavour of my day out...my favourites seem to coincide with previous posters...but I'm also rather biased towards layouts with decent lighting!

Stafford exhibition 2023

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoyed Day one. Visitors were very kind. Bowled over by the standard of this show and very pleased to be part of it. 

Exhibitor or visitor this is now "added to my favourites"

Rob

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/09/2023 at 15:12, 2ManySpams said:

Done....

IMG_20230922_150752.jpg.e49d6e83e7efb3f0b62ab4eb63d60528.jpg

Having read your threads here and elsewhere in the past, it was good to see these buildings today, plus finally see one of @NHY 581’s layouts in the flesh at last. Also enjoyed chatting to @298 about Cuban railways, his Central Alonzo bringing back happy memories from twenty years ago.

9BF59A5E-2A0B-4A62-B359-F7377D555E5A.jpeg.3c72a403ef996ef9912a158844c238d6.jpeg

Enjoyed my visit with plenty of layouts to inspire my own efforts. 

Shall have to look out on the vacancy list for a vacancy at Long Melford, looks a fun frame to work. 
IMG_4370.jpeg.432ee39d103ad0f94591473d00d5a1b2.jpeg

Quite fancy heading to The Warren to catch the next railbus…

F40F283D-B1D4-4B1E-BCE7-EB8546897290.jpeg.3d737be4cee106b2edbe6154197d4956.jpeg

Andrew

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Brilliant show. We’re there with Moors View and the quality of layouts is incredibly high. Chatted to lots of nice people today and really looking forward to tomorrow. Well done to everyone involved in organising it!

Do you have some sort of agreement with exhibitions to have a cold chill blowing past anyone watching Moors View?

I swear whenever I get close to it I feel like I am actually out in a wintery moor wearing a t-shirt.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Came along last year to see the first exhibition in the new 'great hall' and I could see the potential, this year absolutely met that potential to me and there still looks to be space for more so not a cramped exhibition at all.

The quality of the layouts was superb, excellent facilities all round and a very good balance of traders.

Spent way too much time watching Bleat and joining in with the conversations going on there but I think I am going to dig out the old Ikea shelf tomorrow, and then learn how to weather.

• Round of applause 1

Had a nice few hours wandering round. Some really nice layouts - the 2 best ones for me were both 0 gauge. 1 was barely 2ft long ( Temple wagon works ? ) and the other was just accross the aisle. Think it was hillport goods (?). Anyway both fab layouts that both really inspred me.

Staying with the o scale vibe was really tempted by one trader who had a couple of Heljan 20s at £325 a pop and one a stall in the side add on bit had 2 boxes full of o scale wagons from £17 a pop complete with spratt and winkle couplings.

My only purcahse was an oxford rail bauxette banana van. 

Saw the legendary Phil Parker as well :)

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2023 at 09:05, AY Mod said:

About the same area as 6.4 Olympic-sized swimming pools using Standard British Media Measurements or almost 10 London Buses. 

but how many blue whales worth is it? 

hopefully I’ll get over there later this morning as I’m day off,  always a good show