Larkrail 2023

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2023 at 15:52, queensquare said:

The late Iain Rice was a great supporter of, and regular exhibitor at Larkrail so it is fitting that Hepton Wharf, arguably the original Cameo layout, will be returning to the exhibition scene at this years event. The layout is now in the very capable hands of the South Hants MRC who are steadily bringing it back to something approaching its former glory after many years in storage.

Alongside the Wharf will be a display of some of Iain's other models and artifacts which are now in the care of a group of friends. This will include some original artwork, trackplans, photo albums and some of the stock from the ground breaking Tregarick and the North Cornwall Minerals layouts of the 1970s and early 80s.

Jerry

Pioneerheadfortunnel.jpg.5804a8d358d4d14ec2cca7cd512f5bc6.jpg

1 hour ago, LBRJ said:

That picture of Hercules on the "sea wall section" at Tregarrick, when I first saw it or similar in the old Model Railways magazine,  probably affected my tastes in small railways more than any other single photo ! 😄

And here is that very cover:

MRTregarrickCoverSMALL.jpg.11a112d9674830f5035ca6645339860d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Arun Quay, you say...

YAY!

Oh and the only problem I foresee with Brian attending...

HereToMakeYouPoorButHappy2.jpg.0c5455c452202549708cc83e62e504b7.jpg

Take my filthy lucre!

😜

Edited by Tim Dubya
tea and lots of it
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, queensquare said:

.....and if youve not seen Arun Quay before you're in for a treat....... its pretty good!!

Jerry

CoverpictureMRJ256.jpg.4863403145953e3b234311cbe4fcbc88.jpg

Yep. I'll be handing Sheep Dip's controller over to anyone dull........er.....willing enough to have it whilst I go and dribble over Arun. 

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just received apologies from Steve Harrod that he will not be able to make this year owing to a family bereavement. This does mean there will be more space for Andrew Vines of course, who has several lovely "big trains" on the go...

Back to Steve, he is therefore the first booking for the 2024 show with his James Hilton inspired micro layout "Larkhill Crossing", which will be finished by then.

So in advance of next year's show, here is a foretaste of what he is up to, man at a gate looking out for an AC Cars railbus...

LarkhillHalt.jpg.392d9cfc619cc85b36b2dc667ce1a4c7.jpg

How's about that for forward planning!!

Simon

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Oh and if you haven't been to Larkhall before, it's a bit different to the rest of Bath... 😜

FB_IMG_1688924584366.jpg.73b4c6378381906ccd15a31f0fe5d3eb.jpg

And if I’ve got my bearings right, it’s changed hardly at all since that was taken - apart from all the cars parked everywhere!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

And if I’ve got my bearings right, it’s changed hardly at all since that was taken - apart from all the cars parked everywhere!

Absolutely, the show is the next turn on your left by the Larkhall Inn.  I must confess that since Langridge DIY closed down 😭(and a certain bookshop moved), I haven't been.  I used to live opposite in Grosvenor in my younger, more flexible days.

45 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Oh and if you haven't been to Larkhall before, it's a bit different to the rest of Bath...

Wot, no lamposts?  Pah!

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Porcy Mane said:

Wot, no lamposts?  Pah!

Porcy, they're still waiting to this day for those kinds of the devil's work to arrive down that end of town 😉

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

As close as I can get it.

larkhall_present.jpg.7f96fbd3d8a76541a3241e629e715669.jpg

As I said, hardly changed at all!  Must have been taken soon after dawn, there are parking spaces! Shop on left possibly empty as McColl’s went under?

John

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

As I said, hardly changed at all!  Must have been taken soon after dawn, there are parking spaces! Shop on left possibly empty as McColl’s went under?

John

I've never had a probem finding some on-street parking within 200m...the roads off the A4 normally have spaces...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Just ahead of the car in the middle of the road, with a dark frontage and on the right, is a very nice French-themed restaurant.

Valuable intel there  Captain....

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Just ahead of the car in the middle of the road, with a dark frontage and on the right, is a very nice French-themed restaurant.

Does it have its own officer Crabtree?

"Ploose may I hov a kippy of the dooly nosepooper. We should be grateful that all the RAF bummers are still farting for our freedom".

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, popped in on the way back from Longleat only a few weeks ago. Very good.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Important update. Ive been down to Dorset this morning to pick up several cakes from my personal pâtissier (my sister)! Ive also recieved promises of cakes from several other kind contributors - mainly scratchbuilt but with a few high class rtr examples thrown into the mix.

Not long now!!

Jerry 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Important update. Ive been down to Dorset this morning to pick up several cakes from my personal pâtissier (my sister)! Ive also recieved promises of cakes from several other kind contributors - mainly scratchbuilt but with a few high class rtr examples thrown into the mix.

Not long now!!

Jerry 

Any plant milk... man?

The former Mrs Dubya is coming (just for the charity donation you understand) and will help me out, and although she isn't a fussy sod like myself, we both enjoy an oat milk latte.

I'll have a black coffee then... 😉

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just been to the hall and picked up the keys, so nothing's going to stop us now!

1-DSCN9275.JPG.59bbed10a799fed463d9746df3146091.JPG

As I walked in, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Larkrail show poster being displayed on the electronic screen gizmo as you walk into the hall. Naomi commented that the person that is in charge of that sort of thing was very impressed with the quality of our poster and the ease of using it, so a big Thank You to Andy York for creating it for us.

She also gave me the key to the secret store of extra crockery, so none of us need go without a plate or cup!

While I was in the metropolis that is Larkhall, and in order to maintain our incredibly high rating on Tripadviser, obvs. , I went into the Coop in search of the elixir known as Oat milk for certain esteemed visitors from the mining and hill country to the south of the City.

Well, what to buy??

1-IMG_6670.JPG.97be8560edfc8bf78a5a268ae0cf3390.JPG

I'm afraid I came away empty handed and baffled.

So not much change there then...........

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Well, what to buy??

Oatly barista is a person favourite, although I ain't too fussy (!?), you can get an ambient temperature version that only needs to be fridged after opening.  Others may prefer a good old soya milk, again can be found on the shelves and not in the fridge.  Although if you're paying for the fridge and power anyway it doesn't matter.

Thank you, I feel obliged to come now 😂

All being well my new set of antibiotics and steroids should finally clear up the case of pneumonia I've been (lamely bravely) fighting for the last month, if not the Dr said he will see me on Saturday morning (he must know what's going on in Larkhall later in the day... perhaps he's a gricer too 🤷😉).

Edited by Tim Dubya
fussy
  • Friendly/supportive 2