Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, derekdoestrains said:

Any chance you can put in big red letters across the box “works best with ESU” 😂

To be honest it's not a bad shout in hindsight.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

It may save you a future headache.

Other manufacturers have the same issue too. Just go with the manufacturers recommendation. High end DCC models are very complex with lots of extra features. Beyond the standard functionality of the DCC standard you cannot expect manufacturers to try every permutation of chip availabe to in order to access extended bespoke features of every given model.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Othe manufacturers have the same issue too. Just go with the manufacturers recommendation. High end DCC models are very complex with lots of extra features. Beyond the standard functionality of the DCC standard you cannot expect manufacturers to try every permutation of chip availabe to in order to access extend bespoke features of every given model.

Working wipers and glowing hotplate in cab with two settings will be next and thats fine,its the crashing the threads with more practical electronics than model rail thats got folks backs up.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Working wipers and glowing hotplate in cab with two settings will be next and thats fine,its the crashing the threads with more practical electronics than model rail thats got folks backs up.

Is the hot plate "plug and play"?

• Funny 2

Obviously no one here wants a repeat of the class 56 thread (including myself). I’ll deal with that separately through the appropriate channels which I clearly got wrong before. I apologise to everyone for the way I handled that, and for simply how long it went on for. I’ll be apologising to RBE and the cavalex team in due course, however I feel that apology needs to be more in-depth and handled privately once I know I’ve included everything I need to. I’ve also already sent an apology to AY Mod. 

I am going to make one genuine request here to avoid this entirely in future, which has already been somewhat jokingly suggested above. I’ll then leave the discussion around it there. I was not entirely sure if I should post this at all, but I think this is the best place for this request as it is not really relevant to the support channels. I’ve also tried to be as polite and non-hostile as I possible can be with my wording of this message, if I’ve worded something wrong here too I apologise in advance and I’ll work on that in future. 

~~~~~~~~

If the model is going to require an ESU decoder set up a certain way, please can this be made clear in the product description and/or listed on the box somewhere. Bachmann do this with their class 90’s due to the servo operated pantograph, and personally I think it should be adopted by all manufacturers even if just recommending but not requiring specific decoders. 

I appreciate the class 60 might not be at a point in development yet where decoder set up is not fully known, so I wouldn’t expect it to be confirmed yet. I also understand the class 60’s have more complicated lighting. However once the decoder set up has been finalised and confirmed, an appropriate update would be appreciated. I’d just like to be made aware when purchasing a model (payment on arrival for pre-orders) if a specific decoder is required to access all the lighting functions, Without needing to cross check different platforms to get all the information. I think others will benefit from that information being in the description and/or on the box too. I’m aware it’s stated in the loco manual, but by the time most users get to that the model has already been purchased especially when bought online. 

~~~~~~~~

I do admit I’ve posted much more negativity on these threads than positivity, and that needs to change starting now. At the end of the day I didn’t return my pair of class 56’s as the are great models, I Just had an issue that I handled incorrectly and discussion spiralled out of control.

I do have to say that the physical detail on the model looks outstanding as It is on the 56’s. having seen the photos as well as the samples at Model Rail Scotland, the bar for detail is being raised yet again. Depending when these arrive, I do genuinely think Cavalex have 2 consecutive contenders for model of the year.

~~~~~~~~

Apologies for the length of this post, there was a lot I wanted to make sure I covered in detail. As said above I’ll leave the discussion around DCC there, and will work to handle future situations better. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Is the hot plate "plug and play"?

That would also mean more sound functions, though... The sound of sizzling bacon on Fxx

Oh and if you can hear the bacon sizzling from outside that means we need working windows!

Edited by Moley48
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

These two model loco,s that the lads have produced will take some beating in the awards next year,the 56 has few detractors and im sure this will be just as high a bar model,nice chat with Alex at the Ally Pally show yesterday,rightly proud of their masterpieces,and grounded with it.Im sure they have our thanks and support with these.

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
not Shakespear.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just walking past a big storage facility near me today and ironically after looking at the EP's of Cavalex's class 60 spied these through the fence. Ive NEVER seen stored locos here but hope the pics help and if anyone knows what they are doing there or indeed any history, id love to know. A 37 tucked in behind these two class 60's as well but couldnt get any closer IMG_7867.jpeg.2f1776e53f092efde4ad1b7573d37d9c.jpegIMG_7866.jpeg.6ff9b1db9b3ff8ad62a0ef34a0e55083.jpeg

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

They are the two Class 60s (60050 & 60086) that were preserved at the Wenslydale railway. 

37503 was there, so could be that. 

Roy

Thanks Roy. I am presuming these have been bought ???, for preservation. Cant see them being here if they are to be scrapped. the 37 is an interesting one. Im going to try to get access next week to get a better look at them 

17 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Thanks Roy. I am presuming these have been bought ???, for preservation. Cant see them being here if they are to be scrapped. the 37 is an interesting one. Im going to try to get access next week to get a better look at them 

I read somewhere that there was a change in policy at Wensleydale and they cleared out anything that doesn't have an immediate restoration plan. Afaik these are "preserved" but as we've seen, these days that can mean many things!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently posted how I was able to 'crawl' a CavAlex 56 on DC operation around my layout (~12' x 5') whilst hauling 14x Bachmann TEA bogie wagons 'plus a few extras' without changing the power setting.

I then started seeing which locomotive could 'really crawl' smoothly.

I didn't want to push the 56 any further, harmless or not, she's still new!!

I replaced with a 'super detailed' Hornby EWS class 60.  This was admittedly over a short distance - I don't have the patience to follow at this speed!!

This is really impressive, so the bar's already been set pretty high by that Hornby 60!!

I 'counted' 20 seconds between one full sleeper (sleeper plus gap).

I tried a Hornby SD 56, but that's too highly geared.

A H4-66 (Hattons 66) performed at least as impressively.

Al.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/03/2024 at 12:46, atom3624 said:

I recently posted how I was able to 'crawl' a CavAlex 56 on DC operation around my layout (~12' x 5') whilst hauling 14x Bachmann TEA bogie wagons 'plus a few extras' without changing the power setting.

I then started seeing which locomotive could 'really crawl' smoothly.

I didn't want to push the 56 any further, harmless or not, she's still new!!

I replaced with a 'super detailed' Hornby EWS class 60.  This was admittedly over a short distance - I don't have the patience to follow at this speed!!

This is really impressive, so the bar's already been set pretty high by that Hornby 60!!

I 'counted' 20 seconds between one full sleeper (sleeper plus gap).

I tried a Hornby SD 56, but that's too highly geared.

A H4-66 (Hattons 66) performed at least as impressively.

Al.

Don’t much see the point of the crawling . Real life trains don’t crawl much unless they are coupling up. People are at work and want to get the job finished !

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Don’t much see the point of the crawling . Real life trains don’t crawl much unless they are coupling up

unless your modelling a power station coal discharge plant (0.3 to 0.5mph)  

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, RBE said:

We’re looking forward to attending Model World Live this coming weekend at the NEC - if you’re attending visit stand A30 to see the latest updates on our Class 60 project!

Regards

Cav

Cab Interior.jpg

I think you've taken cab design to the next level, that realism in 4mm is quite astounding!...of course taking nothing away from Accurascale with their loco cabs which are also very good.

I have both DCR & Cappagh with sound on order and like with your 56's, which I have 4, another great decision on my part to get these and may now have to go for the GBRf 60 variant if funds allow.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, big jim said:

True, have yet to see one in OO yet though !

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, big jim said:

As slow as that? I thought MGR discharge was at 4mph. Every day a learning day. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

True, have yet to see one in OO yet though !

imagine how boring it would be watching a train unload in real time for an hour! 

6 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

As slow as that? I thought MGR discharge was at 4mph. Every day a learning day.

0.5 is the norm but if the coal is damp or poor quality it’s slower, also you have to stop a few times for the hopper to empty (in ratcliffe)

soul destroying but interesting at the same time 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1