Class 66, By Accurascale

6 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

At 170quid that's going to give Bachmann a spanking

Bachmann thought they were being cute coming out with their Class 37 upgrade. They are probably not feeling so clever now. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

Congratulations on the announcement of a new Class 66 Accurascale. I can see this model being really well received by modellers and collectors. 

It's great to see that this isn't another newly tooled Class 66, but rather taking the original Hattons model and reworking it to a better and higher standard, whilst giving it the feel of an Accurascale model with the inclusion of additional features. Making use of the Hattons tooling was a way to ensure that there tooling and efforts were not wasted, which would have been a shame. This feels very well thought out for all involved, a good business decision and provides Accurascale with the opportunity to have another 'bread and butter' loco in there range. 

I have watched the announcement video, read the description on the forum and the news article on the Accurascale website and I just have a few questions which I don't think have been answered yet. I was going to email you but then I figured that others may have the same questions, so I thought it would be beneficial to post on here where more people can see the response/s and information. 

It's excellent to hear that some of the niggles with the original model have been improved and also some of the Accurascale features like the removable roof panel for access to fit the DCC Decoder and to turn switches on and off if you are DC, as well as the stay alive capacitors for flicker free running in relation to lighting now also feature on the model. 

I bought three of the Hattons Class 66s and whilst I haven't actually had the time to do some minor repairs to them, fit DCC Decoders and run them in etc, I have read comments from others regarding the couplings, as they are sprung and not actually fixed in position to the chassis of the loco. This was a concern to some people as they experienced the couplings bending too far when running around corners and consequently the coupling and/or sometimes the buffers too interlocking with wagons or other locos that the loco was coupled to. So my first question is will the coupling mechanism be changed so that they aren't on a spring and instead attached to the chassis of the loco in a fixed position?

When you mention that you have tooled extra combinations from the initial Hattons model, I am assuming that you mean to accommodate the Euro variants that are either already in the UK or are expected to arrive in the coming years. Can you confirm this, and if this is correct which Euro variants have you tooled for? I ask because depending on the specific Euro batches and sometimes even individual locos within the Euro batches there are differences. Off the top of my head the Euro Class 66s imported into the UK are 66306, 66307, 66308, with 66309-66316 arriving in the next two years, 66734, 66747-66751, 66790-66799. Then there are the EWS/DB 66s that operate in Europe that sometimes return to the UK for maintenance/exams as well as the ten that have recently returned and will remain in the UK for the medium to long term to assist DB with there traffic requirements. Will the tooling also allow for these variants to be modelled and produced? I ask because many of the Euro variants carry special liveries which haven't yet been produced in OO Gauge in ready to run form. 

Also it's brilliant to see an original Freightliner Green Class 66 numbered 66507 has featured in the first batch. I had previously been wanting Bachmann to produce some 66s in this colour scheme that were from the early numbered members of the Freightliner fleet as these were allocated to the Heavy Haul pool and could regularly be found on Leeds Midland Road, in Hunslet Yard with coal wagons and around Yorkshire on coal trains. I am talking about numbers such as 506-515, 518, 519, 520 and 525-528. So the announcement of 507 is excellent seen as though the last Heavy Haul allocated Freightliner 66 that Bachmann produced in Green was 546 circa 2015 but this was fitted with sound and therefore if you didn't want sound fitted or wanted to buy a couple of models to renumber this wasn't an appropriate base model to buy and use, in terms of it being available as sound fitted only and the cost of it. In future batches it would be excellent to see the likes of 514 and 519 produced as well as 506 and 527 with there names fitted or included in the detailing pack. 

In addition, will you be producing and supplying an Accurascale DCC Decoder (non sound decoder) for the Class 66s? Or will we still need to continue to buy the Hattons Originals DCC Decoders to be able to use and access most of the functions from this model?

Furthermore, I missed out on some of the special liveries that Hattons produced specifically 66743 and 66746 in Belmond Royal Scotsman livery and 66780 in Cemex livery. Will you be producing these liveries again now that the 66 is under the Accurascale brand or won't we see previously offered liveries and numbers reissued by you?

Lastly, when further Accurascale Class 66s are announced either as Exclusives via the website or through Exclusives/Limited Editions to retailers will the price remain the same for all DCC Ready models at £169.99? I ask because with the price being so brilliant and I will likely want to build a fleet of the Accurascale Class 66s, I will just commit to buying 66s from you going forwards because they offer better value for money and they will all be the same specification. 

I have been waiting for a manufacturer to produce regular batches of the Class 66 in every livery to the extent that I now mainly model DRS and GBRf on my layout as the lack of Freightliner Green 66s by Bachmann is astonishing, so this is a very welcome announcement. I will now be able to build a fleet of Freightliner 66s, which I haven't been able to do for years. 

Another brilliant announcement, for a model that will be able to be produced in many batches for years to come. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
To add additional information
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Well my wallet breathes a sigh of relief. Although I model current scene (in theory), a class 66 will not darken my track, they're simply too ugly! *snatches up tin helmet and runs for cover* I might make an exception for a Royal Scotsman one, if I ever get my rake of RS coaches built.

But for Accurascale this is definitely a good move. Absolutely ubiquitous loco, hundreds of them running around and in dozens of liveries. Question know is "does Bachmann have a response?" It's been a few years since they've had a release. Are Bachmann working away quietly on an upgraded version that will appear suddenly one quarter? But for now at least the "serious" end of the class 66 is open to Accurascale. 

You model the current scene, but don’t want a 66 to “ darken your track “ ? That’s a hard ask…..bit like modelling the Solent without any boats ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

So my first question is will the coupling mechanism be changed so that they aren't on a spring and instead attached to the chassis of the loco in a fixed position?

I can probably tell you right now, no it won’t be a fixed coupling. That would be a serious backwards step for modern models. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I can probably tell you right now, no it won’t be a fixed coupling. That would be a serious backwards step for modern models. 

Yes, but until someone produces a coupling that turns with a loco and bogie wagon, nothing can be coupled on a corner.  Certainly an achillies heel of modern trains in modern homes. 

3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Prob not fixed but Danny asks a good Q about the couplers.  I have yet to resolve this issue across my H66 fleet which stops them seeing much service. There is too much up/down movement in the coupling cam for reliable hauling of longer trains, certainly with Kadees.  Generally the coupling flexes up under load.  This problem isn’t unique to this model but given its capability for hauling is really frustrating. Can’t comment if affects other coupling types.

M

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

You model the current scene, but don’t want a 66 to “ darken your track “ ? That’s a hard ask…..bit like modelling the Solent without any boats ;)

Yes, if I modelled the current scene or any period post ‘98, I’d have loads of them. They are the modern equivalent of the Class 47 (if you go off the sheer number of them), and they don’t look too bad to these eyes, though the 59s are more rateable IMHO. :)

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

You will get basic start up and speed dependent running sounds; no horns and whistles, no ancilliary equipment noises.

It would be really good if someone did a review of DCC sound equipped locomotive but only operating on DC  and stuck it on YouTube . I quite fancied a sound equipped Deltic as it obviously has quite a distinctive thrum . I was put off by an acquaintance running a sound equipped Bachmann 37 (the older version) who said that while the sound worked the speed of the loco was drastically impaired so that it crawled round his layout . Having opted for a non sound Deltic which has a high top speed it maybe that that wouldn’t have been the issue with Accurascale Deltic .  

To get back on thread the 66 does have that distinctive Ying Ying  so I think DC users could well be tempted to get a sound version if they knew what  they were getting . Of course we won’t get the full range of sounds , but it would be interesting . 

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

I was put off by an acquaintance running a sound equipped Bachmann 37 (the older version) who said that while the sound worked the speed of the loco was drastically impaired so that it crawled round his layout . Having opted for a non sound Deltic which has a high top speed it maybe that that wouldn’t have been the issue with Accurascale Deltic .

I can confirm this is very much an issue with a DCC sound AC Deltic. Luckily my layout is DCC but when tried on a relative's DC layout the speed was severely compromised. Approaching usable but very noticeable and nothing like on DCC.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Legend said:

It would be really good if someone did a review of DCC sound equipped locomotive but only operating on DC  ... I was put off by an acquaintance running a sound equipped Bachmann 37 (the older version) who said that while the sound worked the speed of the loco was drastically impaired

Simplistically, I would say that for any sound-fitted loco it's likely that it'll take the first to third of the rotation of any DC power knob to deliver enough juice to get the sounds and loco going. Therefore you will probably forfeit the top third to half of the speed the control would give. Given what most layouts actually are and look like that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The vagueness of that third to half varies by model.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I liked the hattons one, but now glad I never got one  🙃

I understand your logic, yet I'm glad I got a Hattons' one - all 'of the above' of it's foibles are true, but what a superb running locomotive!

I admit at times it's driver complains in a similar manner to Lewis Hamilton during last season's F1 with its 'porpoising'!

If this is as good as the description says, and no reason to doubt, resolving most / all of the faults and issues, this will be superb!!

I have one ordered, so something to look forward to .... next year!

I had been looking into getting another shed - Bachmann or Hattons, then hey presto, this announcement !!

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

So my first question is will the coupling mechanism be changed so that they aren't on a spring and instead attached to the chassis of the loco in a fixed position?

I ask because many of the Euro variants carry special liveries which haven't yet been produced in OO Gauge in ready to run form. 

In addition, will you be producing and supplying an Accurascale DCC Decoder (non sound decoder) for the Class 66s? Or will we still need to continue to buy the Hattons Originals DCC Decoders to be able to use and access most of the functions from this model?

Will you be producing these liveries again now that the 66 is under the Accurascale brand or won't we see previously offered liveries and numbers reissued by you?

Lastly, when further Accurascale Class 66s are announced either as Exclusives via the website or through Exclusives/Limited Editions to retailers will the price remain the same for all DCC Ready models at £169.99?

Hi Danny!

Thanks for the questions!

1 - The coupling has been upgraded to our 'standard' NEM kinematic socket system, which is designed to work with all of our compatible stock (and any model with a NEM standard kinematic coupling system for close coupling, or a standard NEM socket / Coupler for 'regular' coupling; Anyone who has our Mark 5 coaches can attest to how well this system works between compatible vehicles for 'true' close coupling. Fixing a coupler to a bogie or chassis is not standard, not a good idea, and just not us. (unless its a 4 wheel wagon, and even then we design in movement)

2 - We've tooled, like we always do, an extensive suite, which includes a wide range of new, more detailed cabs, through to detail parts and changes needed to tool pretty much the entire range of variants now running on British metals.

3 - The accurascale 66 will run on regular 4 or 6 function decoders without sound, we recommend and will be offering a preprogrammed lokpilot from ESU

4 - We have plans to make the 66 a regular fixture on our production lines, adding new versions, never before seen versions, hero versions and mundane versions over the coming years.

5 - Our price for the 66 with all our standard features remains £169.99 ready and £259.99 with sound fitted. As per the Exclusive 31 just launched, we don't add premia for exclusives or more complex liveries.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Pillar said:

Not something I expected, but interesting!

The main thing I would ask is whether the WIPAC light clusters will be the correct size? They looked too large on the original Hattons versions.

Another vote for EM/P4 wheelsets too! Although the axleboxes might make this tricky.

As Accurascale will be well aware the light clusters are just one of the changeable options as shown by 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/66freightliner/e196eca17 and that photo of 66714

I am surprised that the Freightliner livery has not been updated by Wisconsin Rail livery, but do accept licensing can be an issue .

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/66freightliner/e9db63e76

Paul

33 minutes ago, McC said:

The accurascale 66 will run on regular 4 or 6 function decoders without sound, we recommend and will be offering a preprogrammed lokpilot from ESU

That's just sparked something off in my head. With the Lokpilot/Loksound 5, will these need an ordinary or MKL decoder (given it looks like the circuit board is brand new)?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

That's just sparked something off in my head. With the Lokpilot/Loksound 5, will these need an ordinary or MKL decoder (given it looks like the circuit board is brand new)?

The PCB, LEDs and electronics are all new, and run standard decoders.

Edited by McC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I liked the hattons one, but now glad I never got one  🙃

With a bit work they can be made as good as it should have been,its just a to get a longer axle in to cure the axle box the lighting board fixes with the lights was something Hattons should have stepped up and sorted as if your not happy just return them is not what anyone wants to hear on a new model.I doubt Accurascale will be falling over themselves to do the ones Hattons released for a good while but time will tell.Im sure the lads will nail the axle box but would have liked them to have the body section lift out rather than the stack so it mirrored the real thing like the N gauge 59.

9 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Danny.

Is there an award for longest thread,this will save you buying longer axles young fella.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Simplistically, I would say that for any sound-fitted loco it's likely that it'll take the first to third of the rotation of any DC power knob to deliver enough juice to get the sounds and loco going.

I bought a Dapol 08 on ebay and it was very slow off the mark and no top end on DC. After a period of gloomy testing it dawned on me it wasn't me making the diesel noises - turned out it was sound chipped, which they hadn't mentioned and certainly wasnt reflected in the price!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

would have liked them to have the body section lift out rather than the stack

To be honest you’d end up with a more costly part that’s more prone to warping or fitting poorly for no better access. The solution we’ve settled on minimizes risk of poor fit, allows easy access to switches or Decoder and the body off is still easy and cable/detail snag free too. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Having not brought an EWS one from hattons after all the issues , I'm in the market for one .

It seems though 66171 will be done as is today - does this mean a faded maroon , patches of primer showing  through on the roof etc ?

If so it'll foil any plan of back dating it to late 90s ,early 00s

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

If so it'll foil any plan of back dating it to late 90s ,early 00s

From the photos at the very least it’s being done in late 2000 onwards condition with wing mirrors.   Assuming they are not changing this element of the tooling (I don’t see why they would) these plug into holes in the body side and make backdating a real pain even if the livery is “standard” ews.

I’ve done it once on a Hattons model and would not be planning to do so a second time, getting a good paint match where you’ve filled the holes is always a pain.

I live in hope that either 001 or 002 with Res grills, flush horn grill, different lashing eyes  etc will be an Accurascale exclusive given these tooling variants have been mentioned.  Which would be perfect for the late 90s / early 2000s (and something never done RTR before)

• Like 1
  • Agree 4