Class 66, By Accurascale

17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

whats with the white roof ?

Is this a royal train 66 ?

Believe this was a trial to see if could address complaints from drivers of cabs getting too hot due lack of air con. Can’t comment whether made a difference apart from to say it seems never to have gone fleet wide!

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

whats with the white steps ?

Quite a few 66s have the little bufferbeam steps painted white for staff visibility. On many that's then covered in a liberal coat of grime.

66179 is the "most French" of all the returned locos. 66028 and 66190 are both still in debranded EWS, but have had fresh paint on the yellow and cab sides and the buffers painting black. All retain holes in the front valance where the obstacle deflector was fitted. Think it's too high to have functioned as a snowplough 

20221219_130845_copy_2016x1512.jpg.b8ac5b88fa058ff69a27e4f5c887e666.jpg

The others in service have been repainted DB red.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Quite a few 66s have the little bufferbeam steps painted white for staff visibility. On many that's then covered in a liberal coat of grime.

66179 is the "most French" of all the returned locos. 66028 and 66190 are both still in debranded EWS, but have had fresh paint on the yellow and cab sides and the buffers painting black. All retain holes in the front valance where the obstacle deflector was fitted. Think it's too high to have functioned as a snowplough 

Jo

I note that one has a DB red headlight above the cab, I think I saw that on the other end of 179 also… and both withthe more recent light clusters.

66’s are like VWBeetles, everyone is different.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

Where’s that Jo , don’t recognise it ?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Carlisle Citadel - recognise the footbridge

think you might have the pics mixed up with the one in my post, although saying that some of those awful OHLE Stansions on the GWML probably could be used as a footbridge given the size of them! 

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

I notice it also has had the yellow panel squared off 59/2 style too, whereas the original EWS version was more of a V shape. 

Can also sadly confirm that is the Up Goods Loop at Slough having attended a few incidents there during my time in the job. 

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Whilst looking through some older pictures, I just happened on this…

3047CE6F-B6F1-470F-8797-F33CAD4702F2.jpeg

Quite close to standard BR blue outline.

Advenza Freight aka Cowboy Rail. That brings back some memories, I wonder if Mr Parcell has paid off most of those fuel bills yet... 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2023 at 12:46, aeroplane said:

I hope for:

66109 PD Ports

66779 Evening Star with bell

I’d be first in the queue for a 66109 PD Ports version 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Is there a link between the charity and the other group on the loco ?

If you mean the LMA logo above the number in the centre of the loco, LMA is the League Managers' Association (football managers) and they are partnered with Prostate Cancer UK.

Many football managers have worn the Prostate Cancer logo on their suits during games.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Br60066 said:

Especially if a percentage of profit went to Prostate Cancer UK

Its a good one to support and buy guys.............Good Advice...............Check your NADS .

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The announcement has been most welcome as I had been looking to acquire some Class 66s, which are currently lacking from my collection.  I am also pleased to hear that the previous issues will be addressed for the first batch.

Out of curiosity, I made a list of all the liveries I know the Class 66 has worn and have so far identified around 52, though I may have missed a few.  I would be happy to post a copy of the list if it would be of interest to anyone.  I can't think off the top of my head another class that has had more (I'm happy to be corrected).

Aside from the liveries that will form the first batch, I think the following would be nice to see in future batches:

• DRS plain blue (Class 66/4)
  • Freightliner PowerHaul green/yellow/grey
  • 66113 DB red with "Delivering for our Key Workers" graphics (released 04/06/2020)
  • 66712, 66719 "METRO-LAND", and/or 66720 "Metronet Pathfinder" Metronet with London Underground, GBRf and First logos (I believe - 66713 "Forest City", 66718 "Gwyneth Dunwoody", 66721 "Harry Beck" and 66722 "Sir Edward Watkin" also carried the livery)
  • 66718 London Transport Museum blue; "Sir Peter Hendy CBE" (Released 05/11/2013 and supersedes the nameplate on the Metronet liveried loco)
  • 66721 London Transport Museum white; "Harry Beck" (Released 05/11/2013 with a different London Underground map on each side; 1933 cream-coloured and 2013 modern)
  • 66731 GBRf/Porterbrook "Thank you NHS"; "Capt. Tom Moore"
  • 66779 Brunswick Green; "Evening Star"
  • 66789 BR Large Logo; "British Rail 1948 - 1997"

I am aware that there are differences between the sub-classes and locomotives within each sub-class and am curious to know what they are.  The differences I know of so far are:

• Four different headlight styles (Wipac, LED Wipac, large halogen headlight/LED makers, and new style halogen/LED cluster)
  • Standard and low emission variants
  • Fuel tank sizes (standard and smaller size for low emission variants)
  • Cab layout (pedestal and wrap around)
  • Cab side windows (2 or 3)
  • Auto-couplers fitted to certain locos (used as banking locos)
  • Air dams
  • Snowploughs
  • Wing mirrors

If anyone can advise me of any others then it would be appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Sweetling Park said:

The announcement has been most welcome as I had been looking to acquire some Class 66s, which are currently lacking from my collection.  I am also pleased to hear that the previous issues will be addressed for the first batch.

Out of curiosity, I made a list of all the liveries I know the Class 66 has worn and have so far identified around 52, though I may have missed a few.  I would be happy to post a copy of the list if it would be of interest to anyone.  I can't think off the top of my head another class that has had more (I'm happy to be corrected).

Aside from the liveries that will form the first batch, I think the following would be nice to see in future batches:

• DRS plain blue (Class 66/4)
  • Freightliner PowerHaul green/yellow/grey
  • 66113 DB red with "Delivering for our Key Workers" graphics (released 04/06/2020)
  • 66712, 66719 "METRO-LAND", and/or 66720 "Metronet Pathfinder" Metronet with London Underground, GBRf and First logos (I believe - 66713 "Forest City", 66718 "Gwyneth Dunwoody", 66721 "Harry Beck" and 66722 "Sir Edward Watkin" also carried the livery)
  • 66718 London Transport Museum blue; "Sir Peter Hendy CBE" (Released 05/11/2013 and supersedes the nameplate on the Metronet liveried loco)
  • 66721 London Transport Museum white; "Harry Beck" (Released 05/11/2013 with a different London Underground map on each side; 1933 cream-coloured and 2013 modern)
  • 66731 GBRf/Porterbrook "Thank you NHS"; "Capt. Tom Moore"
  • 66779 Brunswick Green; "Evening Star"
  • 66789 BR Large Logo; "British Rail 1948 - 1997"

Theres a few in there that would tempt me, despite having already been done by other manufacturers. This is the best possible model of the 66, so in my mind, duplication isn't an issue. 

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Theres a few in there that would tempt me, despite having already been done by other manufacturers. This is the best possible model of the 66, so in my mind, duplication isn't an issue. 

When I was 10 years' old, I fell in love with the Triang LMS 6201 Princess Elizabeth, and received it for a combined Christmas / Birthday present - then I bought a scale 4mm:ft Ian Allan book of locomotive drawings, and looked at the (lack of) safety valves, measured the wheel diameters, LoB ... and wanted to leave it under my Dad's car it was so incorrect!!

Point?

Times and standards change - we all move with them.

Definitely agree, this is THE Class 66 by the impressions we all have, so duplication, or replacement with 'same but different' is quite simply a natural progression.

Al.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Times and standards change - we all move with them.

Definitely agree, this is THE Class 66 by the impressions we all have, so duplication, or replacement with 'same but different' is quite simply a natural progression.

Al.

I agree with the both of you.  I am aware that 66779, 66789, 66718 and 66721, for example, have been released previously by other manufacturers, but they weren't to the same tooling or feature-rich standard that the new versions will bring.  Personally I don't think duplication will be an issue, as those who already have them and those who don't will equally gain with the new versions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sweetling Park said:

I agree with the both of you.  I am aware that 66779, 66789, 66718 and 66721, for example, have been released previously by other manufacturers,

Would another run of 66789 from what is essentially the same tooling be justifiable?

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1